Ad by ndro

Forum

840 posts    Identified fonts    Requests only

Posts by metaphasebrothel

May 17, 2014 at 04:19  [reply]  Help!

southernsurprise said  
Help!

I work for a screen printing company, and was told that we could send you a font and you could tell us what the name of the font is. I can't figure ot how to do this?

When you have the url for the text sample, ask this question in the Font Identification forum, not in General Discussion

May 16, 2014 at 15:53  [reply]  Help!

Read the FAQ section: http://www.dafont.com/faq.php, to answer most of your questions. I don't know what you mean by "the converter" - were you referring to a .zip file extractor, or something else?

Even though you didn't make it very clear, I believe you are referring to the text display banner with the name of the font Apacaxi Comic.

The default display uses the same case as in the font's internal file name.

Send a private message to the DaFont webmaster: http://www.dafont.com/profile.php?user=2 and the banner will be changed, eventually.

May 16, 2014 at 02:07  [reply]  Dalton Maag Co Alternatives

If you just want a free sans with a lot of different styles/ weights, try Encore Sans by Pablo Impallari and Andreas Torresi: http://www.impallari.com/testing/encode/index.php. It has a total of 45 fonts, it's brand new, (available since the end of March, 2014), and it's Donationware. Pablo made the Lobster font, which has been recognized 368 times in the Font Identification forum.

Todd, I suggest that you resubmit the font, and in the 'Note of the Author' section, say something like 'Attention webmaster: This is a resubmission of this font, originally uploaded MMDDYY' You should be able to approximate the original upload date from the 'date last modified' in the .ttf file's properties.

May 12, 2014 at 23:34  [reply]  Font Approval Times

Steve, until a couple of years ago, updated fonts appeared whenever a new batch of fonts was posted, and the word 'update' appeared in a box, with a yellow highlight. Certain designers would submit a font, then update it constantly, so their work would always appear in the first few pages of results for new fonts. They are usually the same people who judge the quality of their work by download statistics.

~bobistheowl

koeiekat said  
Problem is spinnybags, that there is a general misunderstanding about copyright. Or rather a general total lack of knowledge and understanding of copyright. Let alone having any respect for the artistic works of others.

Read the Berne Convention on copyright or at least the extract and you will understand. Alas most if not all of the people commenting on these issues have no clue or think that the USA law is the final word worldwide. Believe me, it is not. The USA law is fairly close to the Russian and Chinese. It is not that shit, but, yes, extremely close.

As you are a one person juridical entity and a one person business there is - I am afraid - little you can do. The cost of the legal procedures would kill you.
That is the problem, you are too small an entity. If you were Disney, or on a smaller scale the Escher foundation, things would be different. Do I need to explain how Disney protects the copyright on their characters? Try selling mugs with Minny, Mickey or Donald on'm. You will be bankrupt before you realize it. The Escher foundation will be more polite with you. First they will sue you for copyright infringement, an economical offense, which results in a quarter of a million Euro fine. Then they sue you in a civil procedure for the same and will ask for - and get - something around a million Euro compensation. Understand how they pay their lawyers?

So what can you do? Little to nothing I am afraid. At least not legally. Yet, if you feel like to bite the balls of the woodcutter, the woodcutter can easily be traced to name, address and telephone number.

Book a cheap flight?

@koeiekat: spinnytbags has been harassing me by e-mail for a few days. Her jihad concerns the capital S in BeautyMarks. She claims to have ownership and copyright to a photograph from which a vinyl decal was made by a different web entity, from which an .jpg image was included in a Google images search:

from which I created a two colour bitmap, composed for monochrome:

from which I made a vector image in a free font.

The principle of Fair Use has been explained to her, but she doesn't chose to believe the truth. Her threats of extortion were unsuccessful, so she's decided to make a scene in public. She reminds me of a club chick sent packing before sunrise.

No, he copied my idea, four months later. Mommy's still not going to buy you a chocolate bar.

May 03, 2014 at 19:17  [reply]  Neo Sans Free Alternatives?

How about Pablo Impallari's new family, Encode Sans, which has 45 weights?

http://www.impallari.com/testing/encode/index.php

passionstitch, start by reading the essays in the FAQ section: http://www.dafont.com/faq.php#create.

Next, go to http://www.high-logic.com/font-editor/fontcreator/download.html to download the trial version of FontCreator. I believe this trial version is fully functional for 30 days. I use ScanFont 3 to make my dingbats, and I consider it to be a superior program, but it won't work with your Windows 8, (it's from the 1990's, is no longer sold by FontLab, and it doesn't work with Windows operating systems more recent than XP).

The images that you create will need to be monochromatic, (ie pure black and white). You can do this with MS Paint by opening the images you've created in Corel Draw, and saving them as monochrome bitmap file type, (.tiff might work, as well). You could probably create monochrome bitmaps with Corel Draw - check the 'Save As' options.

I believe that the installation of FontCreator also creates the user's manual in the program files directory.

Good luck!

~bobistheowl

Apr 29, 2014 at 16:01  [reply]  Can't make pdf or eps file!

@lucywill:

To make a .pdf with a font that has restrictive embedding, try copy/pasting the glyphs you want to use from the Character Map application to MS Word;

1) Install font.

2) Open character map, (C;\Windows\system32\charmap.exe or Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map).

3) Select font in character map.

4) Double-click each glyph you want to use in the .pdf, to add it to the clipboard.

5)Select from the clipboard, and click the copy button.

6) Open MS Word.

7) Paste glyphs from character map to Word.

8) Select the pasted glyphs, and change the point size, (they will probably copy from the character map at 10.5 - 14.5 points size; you'll likely want them to be larger).

9) Save As -> .pdf.

~bobistheowl

Apr 27, 2014 at 17:48  [reply]  My font being stoled alot

I think you should concern yourself with making a good font, before you worry about lost revenue from fly by night sites. The two you've submitted here so far really bite the dog's ass.

Handicap accessible: Use the lower case w from Martin Vogel's Symbols: http://www.dafont.com/martin-vogels-symb.font

ellenelle said  
Wow, the moral authority has spoken...

Don't take it personally, ellenelle. That's how he flirts.

Edited on Apr 24, 2014 at 00:44 by metaphasebrothel

Someone would probably help you with this, if you posted this in the Font Identification forum, with an image of the text in use.

@Blessings2all: Please read post #5 in this recent forum thread: http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/160350/please-help-with-kr-floral-color-me-2.

I don't know if Mac computers have a character map application in Accessories/ Utilities, but you could create your embedded document on a PC, if necessary.

~bobistheowl

Apr 17, 2014 at 14:40  [reply]  1 font, 4 forms, help please!

I guess the easiest way to use the Thin or Inline styles would be to install only the style you want to use. When you select the font by name in a text editing app, , the style you want will be the only choice available under the Family name.

Janet Golden said  
...KR Floral Color Me 2 is a free font on this site. I don't understand why it would be made free and not embeddable...

Janet Golden, KR Floral Color Me 2 is not a free font. It's Free for Personal Use. Every font hosted on DaFont is free to download, install, and view in a word processing application. Whatever else you can do with it for free is dependent on the embedding settings used by the designer, and the terms of the licensing agreement, also determined by the font's author.

Restricting a user's ability to embed a font in a word processing document or .pdf is a common feature in FFPU fonts.

I had no problems making a .pdf from this font without altering the embedding settings. I'm using Windows XP, so you may not be able to do this with your Mac, but you may be able to do something similar. This is what I did:

1) Install font.

2) Open MS Word.

3) Open Character Map. In Windows, Character Map, (charmap.exe), is in C:\Windows\system32, with a shortcut in Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools.

4) Select desired glyphs in Character Map.

5) Copy selected glyphs; paste into MS Word, (they were at 14.5 point size).

6) Select glyphs in MS Word; select desired point size.

7) Save As -> .pdf.

~bobistheowl

Apr 02, 2014 at 13:51  [reply]  Whitney Semibold

This is what it looks like:

Edited on Apr 02, 2014 at 13:53 by metaphasebrothel

ariel-jones, do the following:

1) Open your font with your font editor, and select the Font Info dialog box.

2) Change the name of the font using the Names tab - you'll probably have to do this four times, once each for the Family Name, Font Name, Full Name, and Menu Name fields. Click the Apply button when you've done this.

3) In the Verification and Identification tab, click the Recalculate button next to the information for 'True Type Identification Record'. Click the OK button to confirm the change and to close the dialog box.

4) Save the font file.

5) Generate a new font.

6) Resubmit your font, with the new name, in a .zip file. In the notes area, type: Note to webmaster: This submission replaces the font named XXXX, submitted on XXXX, (substitute the name and date for the XXXX).

~bobistheowl

All times are CEST. The time is now 08:05

Privacy Policy  -  Contact