Forum

134 posts    Identified fonts    Requests only

Posts by explogos.com

Sep 30, 2018 at 15:36  [reply]  Name badge

It would be helpful to know the word/s you want to display, but have you looked at Cinzel? It has standard and decorative forms (an /R that extends beneath the next letter, for example), and is 100% to use, though a donation to the author in recognition of the considerable work involved would, I'm sure, be much appreciated.

https://www.dafont.com/cinzel.font?text=Recommended&back=theme

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of feedback from native Cyrillic and/or Greek users, or any font author with experience of creating commercial quality fonts that include both scripts.

If you have time to undertake a quick review of my current project, please contact me either here, or directly using steve@explogos.com

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Aug 06, 2017 at 21:51  [reply]  Can anyone identify this font?

@DopeHat - yes, it is a font. Someone on another site found it. If you're interested, it's Renny Hybrid (lowercase glyphs)

Identified font: Renny Hybrid

Aug 04, 2017 at 12:16  [initial post]  Can anyone identify this font?

This font was used in an old logo design. It's been converted to outlines, so there is no font information in the logo files. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 26, 2017 at 15:46  [reply]  Changing font encryption settings

I'll PM you details of the message they sent me.

Jul 26, 2017 at 15:41  [initial post]  Changing font encryption settings

Hi all, I'm sure this is simple, but I can't see how to do it.

One of my font customers is based in Slovakia and has asked me to change the font to, in their words, "Central European encryption". I'm looking at all the property, description and naming options I've got in my font editor, but I can find anything that allows me to do this. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Thanks everyone.

Someone has told me recently that it isn't possible to create a PDF with embedded fonts using InDesign. They said that the way around this was to create the PDF using something like Illustrator, then place that document into InDesign. Does this seem likely?

@pilaster and toto - thanks for your offer to take a look. I'll send the font file to you shortly.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks so much for taking a look, Frédéric.

Does anyone out there have InDesign?

Thanks so much. The font is on it's way.

Hi Frédéric,

I will suggest the customer uninstall and reinstall the font - maybe that will solve the problem. In the meantime, do you have the time to take a look at the font file? I created it using an inexpensive font editor called Type3.2, so am wondering if there's something about the way it applies embedding rules that is causing the issue.

Hi Claude,

Maybe my original post wasn't clear - I HAVE set the set the rules to allow embedding. The client is still having trouble.

What I would like to do is send the .ttf font file to one of you guys here and ask you to inspect it using your own font editors to see if the embedding rules have been applied correctly. I'd also like anyone who uses InDesign to see if they can replicate the problem.

Can you help with this?

Steve

Hi all,

I'm hoping one of the font authors out there could lend a helping hand.

A client recently purchased a licence for one of my fonts and I sent them an unrestricted copy for commercial use. They contacted me a couple of days later to tell me they could not embed the font into a PDF using the latest version of inDesign. They tried everything they could think of, including allowing Adobe support to take remote control of their machine to try to troubleshoot the issue. No joy.

I've sold quite a lot of licences for this font over the past couple of years and haven't had this problem before. I also I don't have InDesign, so can't replicate the problem myself. I've checked the font properties using the Type3.2 font editor and everything seems to be as it should, but I'd be grateful if someone could sanity check it to see if I'm missing something.

Please drop me a mail if you can help - steve@explogos.com.

Cheers,
Steve

Nov 16, 2015 at 13:24  [reply]  Corporate use of free fonts

Cool, thanks for your thoughts.

Nov 15, 2015 at 10:43  [initial post]  Corporate use of free fonts

A question for the legal minds here... I recently discovered Disney have used one of my 100% free fonts in a Star Wars game without notifying me. Of course, the font was 100% free so maybe they didn't feel the need to tell me, but the same free font has been used by several other companies and, each time, I was asked to sign a contract confirming I was the font's designers and sole owner.

Anyway, my question is, am I exposed legally if I name them on my web site as a 'client'? And, would it be regarded as reasonable use if I displayed their logo rather than simply typing their name?

Thanks in advance, Steve

I spoke with an IP solicitor here in the UK this morning. I set out the facts as I believe them to be and asked his opinion. His opinion (and, I stress, it is based solely on my account) is that I have a good chance of making a successful claim for copyright infringement and loss of earnings against any and all sites that redistribute our work. This also applies to every other font author here and also to dafont itself.

The problem, of course, is that my potential loss is too small to make any action worthwhile. The only way to bring a worthwhile action would be for the community to bring a group action, which is complicated by the fact that we'd need to coordinate our efforts and demonstrate that all plaintiffs were who they said they were prior to filing a suit.

Unless there's a willingness to do this, there doesn't appear to much else left to do.

It seems the argument about whether or not other sites profit from our fonts might not matter. This is from a website called The UK Copyright Service (http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/) - specifically, from their 'Copyright Myths' page:

8. It’s OK to use copy or publish other peoples work if I don't make any money out of it

No, except in specific circumstances permitted under fair dealing/fair use rules, any copying or publication without the consent of the copyright owner is an infringement, and you could face legal action.

If the use has a financial impact on the copyright owner, (i.e. lost sales), then you could also face a claim for damages to reclaim lost revenue and royalties.

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/copyright_myths

A quick follow-up to my post in the legal forum.

One reply from a media law attorney in the US is that another site's use of our fonts "could potentially be seen as a commercial use based on the ad revenue generated [and] corresponding loss of revenue..." I should add this is purely a personal opinion and not a definitive legal statement.

Not sure what to do with this information, but it's encouraging to have this opinion.

ETA: if it turns our their use IS regarded as commercial, then dafont is also entitled to compensation for lost revenues.

Edited on Mar 17, 2015 at 19:30 by explogos.com

"The only thing the human there probably does is wait for the ad revenues to arrive and spend it."

And that, surely, constitutes commercial use of our fonts, since without our fonts, they'd generate zero ad revenue!

I've posted on a legal forum within the last hour - I've explained the fonts2u model and asked for a legal opinion as to whether I am entitled to a fee from them for their use of my fonts.

I'll keep you posted.

Some sites set out the 'Basic font information' directly below the character map. This information includes the full copyright notice as set out in the header. Whilst I accept some sites don't show this information and that, in any event, most people either won't read it or won't care, I feel I have to try something; the alternative is to do nothing.

Right now, the site that kicked this discussion off has my latest font listed (with a renamed zip file! ) showing the warning I posted above!

@ Frédéric - I don't really like the idea either, but I think it would stop a lot of these parasitic sites and, as a positive upside, dafont would gradually be seen to be an exclusive content provider.

@ toto - that is exactly what I have done with my latest upload. I also packaged the font in a zip file called '[font name] Dafont.zip' and included the following statement in my header:

"You have downloaded a version of [font name] that was uploaded exclusively to dafont.com. If you did NOT download this font from dafont.com, you have an unauthorised copy, which has been made available to you without the font owner's consent. If this is the case, the font author strongly recommends you delete this file and run a virus check on your machine. The reason for recommending this is that some sites are known to alter the original file before listing it on their own sites, making it potentially unsafe and putting your personal details at risk. Once you have done this, please visit dafont.com and download the authorised version."

I then added a message aimed at the parasites:

"... you are not permitted to make this font available for others to download. The ONLY site trusted to offer this version of [font name] is dafont.com."

I doubt this will deter them, but it might make some who visit the sites think twice about going back.

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Mar 17, 2015 at 10:36 by explogos.com

All times are CEST. The time is now 22:26

Privacy Policy  -  Contact