Forum

135 posts    Identified fonts    Requests only

Posts by explogos.com

@ Frédéric - I don't really like the idea either, but I think it would stop a lot of these parasitic sites and, as a positive upside, dafont would gradually be seen to be an exclusive content provider.

@ toto - that is exactly what I have done with my latest upload. I also packaged the font in a zip file called '[font name] Dafont.zip' and included the following statement in my header:

"You have downloaded a version of [font name] that was uploaded exclusively to dafont.com. If you did NOT download this font from dafont.com, you have an unauthorised copy, which has been made available to you without the font owner's consent. If this is the case, the font author strongly recommends you delete this file and run a virus check on your machine. The reason for recommending this is that some sites are known to alter the original file before listing it on their own sites, making it potentially unsafe and putting your personal details at risk. Once you have done this, please visit dafont.com and download the authorised version."

I then added a message aimed at the parasites:

"... you are not permitted to make this font available for others to download. The ONLY site trusted to offer this version of [font name] is dafont.com."

I doubt this will deter them, but it might make some who visit the sites think twice about going back.

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Mar 17, 2015 at 10:36 by explogos.com

Am I right in saying most of these sites use bots to scan the web for new font releases? If so, is it practicable for dafont to implement some sort of authentication (e.g. Captcha) as part of the download process?

I understand, but they're redistributing fonts without authors' consent to increase pageviews, which generates revenue for them (and not the author) through adsense. That's commercial use, surely?

As for similarity of business model, the big difference between dafont and fonts2u is that dafont offer revenue share participation for authors, whereas fonts2u does not.

Edited 3 times. Last edit on Mar 14, 2015 at 17:27 by explogos.com

fonts2u may download and offer our fonts for free, but they display google ads on 'our' font pages and, presumably, receive adsense income as a result of people visiting 'our' fonts. Doesn't that constitute commercial use?

Edited on Mar 14, 2015 at 15:08 by explogos.com

Mar 11, 2015 at 01:20  [reply]  This typeface name please!!

I think this is two weights (not sure which two) of latest Apple's in-house font, called 'San Francisco'. You can download it by visiting https://developer.apple.com/watchkit/ and clicking the 'Apple Watch Design Resources' link.

Suggested font: San Francisco

Mar 07, 2015 at 18:02  [reply]  Greek Type Designers?

I've tried to contact a few of the Greek publishers here at dafont, but haven't had any response. I've since started work on the italic Greek character set to my new font and would really appreciate the input of any native Greek speakers in the forum, especially if you're familiar with Greek typeface design.

Please send me a private message if you have time to take a quick look at my work.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 03, 2015 at 17:03  [reply]  Font name

Identified font: Pirulen

Mar 02, 2015 at 00:43  [reply]  Similar free font ?

Andreas Larsen is currently working on a free sans serif font that you might be interested in. It's called 'Gidole Sans' and you can download it at https://github.com/gidole/Gidole-Typefaces. I believe it's open source (you should check by emailing him), in which case, you can edit the letterforms to suit your needs.

Feb 26, 2015 at 20:29  [reply]  what is the name of this font

Suggested font: Velvenda Cooler

Feb 26, 2015 at 19:24  [reply]  Borderlands Menu Font

Suggested font: Willow Body

Feb 26, 2015 at 18:18  [reply]  What font is this?

Plateia Bold ('WINTER' stretched by around 7%)

Identified font: Plateia Bold

Feb 25, 2015 at 18:27  [initial post]  WhatFont tool

I'm sure may regulars here already know about this tool, but for those who don't, here's a good place to start when trying identify a font.

http://chengyinliu.com/whatfont.html

There are lots of issues with this font. I've used the autometrics feature in FC to partially address the spacing, though you'll need to fine-tune this once you've settled on your final letterforms.

https://www.mediafire.com/?ga8g1gtnpzs8746

Jan 26, 2015 at 20:23  [reply]  Maybe Garamond, but which one?

There is a wider version of the OP's image at http://www.garamond.culture.fr/img/home/intro/en/03_PH.jpg, which shows a different /Q/ on the 3rd line up. My earlier URW suggestion is still wrong, but maybe it will help everyone to know that the image shows different versions of Garamond and that it isn't necessary to match the overlapping /Œ/ with the thick-tailed /Q/.

Jan 26, 2015 at 16:50  [reply]  Maybe Garamond, but which one?

URW Garamond has the overlapping OE - if it's not the exact same font, it's pretty close

Suggested font: URW Garamond

Dec 06, 2014 at 20:34  [reply]  Font? help

Identified font: Ethnocentric

Dec 06, 2014 at 20:31  [reply]  Font Identification

The '18%', 'Battery', 'Excellent', and numerals look like a combination of Titillium regular and Titillium Bold

Identified font: Titillium

Dec 03, 2014 at 11:36  [reply]  Greek Type Designers?

Great idea, Frédéric! I've emailed Marioz.

Dec 03, 2014 at 10:51  [reply]  Greek Type Designers?

Hi Menhir - on this occasion, I'd prefer a one-on-one discussion with someone who understands Greek script rather than a community discussion.

Dec 02, 2014 at 11:42  [initial post]  Greek Type Designers?

Are there any native Greek type designers, or else people with experience of Greek type design, who can offer an informed opinion about a project I'm currently working on?

Thanks in advance.

All times are CEST. The time is now 08:53

Privacy Policy  -  Contact