Forum

22 posts

Posts by The Mouse Avenger

toto@k22 said  
That probably explains why positions of your outline looks that way. What looks like perfect and flawless in a graphics a program might get messed up whe imported into a font editor. The main culprit is the location of nodes and points Font editors hate floating points and move those floating points ton integer positions resulting to deformation in your outlines. Another is that open contours is fine in vector drawings but won’t do in a font. If you can draw directly, the better as what you draw is what you get.

I see instructions on what to do in illustrator to have a drawing that can be imported into Fontlab (and possibly other font editors as well) with hardly any problem. I believe you can find it through Google

To wit, I would still like to have the following questions answered:

1. What program should I use instead, if I don't have Adobe Illustrator?

2. Do I necessarily HAVE to use Fontlab? Because it happens to be "free trial, then pay", & I've got very limited funds at this moment. ^^;; Is there a fully-free font program that will suit the exact same purpose, or will Fontforge work just fine? :-)

Or, if possible, how can I fix the floating notes in my font characters to make FontForge happy?

toto@k22 said  
I can’t recall which keyword I used or where the site is.

That’s where you need a search engine for. I am sure you know how to use a search engine and maximizing its potential. But first ask yourself what do you want to find. If you know the answer then that’s the time to use the search engine. If you do not succeed the first time, refine and/or expand your keyword and sooner or later you will find what you’re looking for.

Good luck on your travels through the jungle we call the internet

OK, my first question's been answered, for which I heartily thank you. ^_^ I still need to know about the other two, though. :-(

I see no one's answered my questions so far...& I'd really like to know the answers ASAP, please. :-(

toto@k22 said  
That probably explains why positions of your outline looks that way. What looks like perfect and flawless in a graphics a program might get messed up whe imported into a font editor. The main culprit is the location of nodes and points Font editors hate floating points and move those floating points ton integer positions resulting to deformation in your outlines. Another is that open contours is fine in vector drawings but won’t do in a font. If you can draw directly, the better as what you draw is what you get.

I see instructions on what to do in illustrator to have a drawing that can be imported into Fontlab (and possibly other font editors as well) with hardly any problem. I believe you can find it through Google

Thanks for the tip! ^_^ Just a few questions...

1. OK, so, what exact keywords should I type in Google in order to find the instructions in question?

2. What program should I use instead, if I don't have Adobe Illustrator?

3. Do I necessarily HAVE to use Fontlab? Because it happens to be "free trial, then pay", & I've got very limited funds at this moment. ^^;; Is there a fully-free font program that will suit the exact same purpose, or will Fontforge work just fine? :-)

Edited on Jul 20, 2023 at 02:29 by The Mouse Avenger

toto@k22 said  
Out of curiosity on what program are you drawing the font? Entirely on Font Forge? Or you are drawing this in another program and just importing the outlines into FontForge

Initially, I drew all the font characters on Inkscape, then imported them into Fontforge.

The Mouse Avenger said  
claudeserieux said  
Where is it not closed? (2 points un sur l'autre) 2 nodes one on the other.

I put the two nodes together, but the finished glyph STILL isn't showing up on the glyph table. :-(

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CzQrWu4FsW_7LsuNzyiJtBWpQMWVW-Y2/view?usp=share_link

Wait, I forgot to ask something: Are the unattached points on the "Fore" layer, or the "Back" layer?

marty666 said  
The Mouse Avenger said  
What? My file, or the program?

claudeserieux said  
FontForge 20220308 is full of bugs.

then regarding your last question:

The Mouse Avenger said  
where can I download the latest version?

20230101: https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/releases/tag/20230101

I did. ^_^ But when I click on "Find problems" to check for problems with my character glyphs, I can't make heads or tails of ANYTHING it says! Isn't there a way to find plain-English explanations for all of the listed problems found in my glyph(s)?

claudeserieux said  
FontForge 20220308 is full of bugs.

What? My file, or the program? If it's the latter, where can I download the latest version?

claudeserieux said  
FontForge = bug, bug, bug, bug, bug,... I give up.

Then, I won't press you any further. :-) But surely, there MUST be an option or some other way to detect glyph errors in Fontforge? And if so, what is it?

claudeserieux said  
Where is it not closed? (2 points un sur l'autre) 2 nodes one on the other.

I put the two nodes together, but the finished glyph STILL isn't showing up on the glyph table. :-(

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CzQrWu4FsW_7LsuNzyiJtBWpQMWVW-Y2/view?usp=share_link

claudeserieux said  

OK, so I fixed the glyph for Number 1, &...it's not showing up, so I *KNOW* I must have missed something. Could you help me out again, since you've been so very gracious to assist me earlier? :-)

Oh, BTW, here's the new link for my SFD file (I replaced the old file with the updated one):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RdpsWPhw1Nu6CHsI0PvpMnugj2IdULUP/view?usp=share_link

claudeserieux said  
I don't have your .sfd .
but on the file you sent the number 1 is not closed.

I know, I'm working on that.

But as for the top part of the exclamation point? Where is it not closed?

(The link for the newer version of my SFD file is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RdpsWPhw1Nu6CHsI0PvpMnugj2IdULUP/ )

Edited on Jan 27, 2023 at 01:54 by The Mouse Avenger

claudeserieux said  
The Mouse Avenger said  

In the meantime, though, there's a teeny, tiny little problem: After working on fixing my "exclamation point" character, the vertical bar on top disappeared in the preview window, & I don't even know what I did wrong to make that happen. :-( So...could someone help me with that? :-)

It is not close.

Where is it not closed, exactly? I can't tell.

claudeserieux said  
Toto, il ne peut pas enlever les autres points car il est en Truetype. Je voulais qu'il enlève ses points double.( Duplicated knots )

Thanks for the tip! ^_^ I tried simplifying the exclamation point, & now, it looks SPLENDID! I'm gonna do the same thing with the other characters in the font, & hopefully, they'll come out looking as perfect as I want them to be! ^_^

In the meantime, though, there's a teeny, tiny little problem: After working on fixing my "exclamation point" character, the vertical bar on top disappeared in the preview window, & I don't even know what I did wrong to make that happen. :-( So...could someone help me with that? :-)

Here's the EPS file of the exclamation point character:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OlEFKIlsyPFYOTl3ArluFRib0XLFwRBJ/view?usp=share_link

And here's a visual summation of my vexing little problem:

https://i.ibb.co/HBKn1B5/Oopsie.png

claudeserieux said  

Thanks for the tip! ^_^ I'll try that.

toto@k22 said  
The Mouse Avenger said  

(looks at the picture) Yes, I definitely need to simplify. But you do not necessarily have to do this, if you really don't want to. :-) Other people are perfectly free to take up my "challenge".

I am surprised to hear/read that from a self-confessed OCD. You should live up to being OCD and go for perfection.

I would in this particular case, were I not busy with so many creative projects. ^^;; Part of my New Year's Resolution is to get a certain number of those projects done -- writing & publishing children's books, publishing a poetry book, completing scripts for an epic miniseries sequel to "The Great Mouse Detective" & a third sequel to "The Rescuers", composing all of the songs for said films, & composing a few original compositions, along with some little side tasks. :-) I'm making good progress on the first task so far! ^_^

Anyway, that's why I'm asking for help in refining my font. To do so myself would take up too much precious time that I need to focus on my major projects. And, of course, if anyone wishes to offer their assistance, that would be greatly, GREATLY appreciated! :-)

metaphasebrothel said  
@The Mouse Avenger: The text in that poster is custom lettering, as opposed to a font, ie: Someone drew the letters as part of the picture. The R and A in Great are connected, but not all of the capitals have connections. The curved angle would be different if there were more or fewer than two letters in between.

I think I can fix that, or achieve a similar result, with kerning. :-) I'm more concerned about having those tiny little imperfections fixed. Alas, I'm trying to simplify the font first before I reupload it for you guys, but so far, the characters get all messed up when I try to delete or merge extraneous nodes. Any suggestions?

claudeserieux said  
Don't drag me into this.
(J'aurai du ne pas répondre à ça.)

(looks at the picture) Yes, I definitely need to simplify. But you do not necessarily have to do this, if you really don't want to. :-) Other people are perfectly free to take up my "challenge".

claudeserieux said  
It's too much work....

Duplicated knots Glyph index 4
Misoriented contour Glyph index 4
Not all extremes are marked with the on-curve control points Glyph index 5
Duplicated knots Glyph index 5
Intersecting contours Glyph index 5
Unable to perform test due to previously detected errors Glyph index 5 Test: ValidateSimpContMisor
Not all extremes are marked with the on-curve control points Glyph index 6
Duplicated knots Glyph index 6
Misoriented contour Glyph index 6
Duplicated knots Glyph index 7
Misoriented contour Glyph index 7
Duplicated knots Glyph index 8
Misoriented contour Glyph index 8
Duplicated knots Glyph index 9
Misoriented contour Glyph index 9
Duplicated knots Glyph index 10
Intersecting contours Glyph index 10
Unable to perform test due to previously detected errors Glyph index 10 Test: ValidateSimpContMisor
Not all extremes are marked with the on-curve control points Glyph index 11
Misoriented contour Glyph index 12
Duplicated knots Glyph index 13
Duplicated knots Glyph index 14
Duplicated knots Glyph index 15
ntersecting contours Glyph index 15
Unable to perform test due to previously detected errors Glyph index 15 Test: ValidateSimpContMisor
Not all extremes are marked with the on-curve control points Glyph index 16
Duplicated knots Glyph index 16
Misoriented contour Glyph index 17
Not all extremes are marked with the on-curve control points Glyph index 18
Duplicated knots Glyph index 18
Misoriented contour Glyph index 19
Duplicated knots Glyph index 20
Misoriented contour Glyph index 20
etc....

Wait...What in the WORLD does all that mean?!

Maybe, it means I should simplify all the characters first? Perhaps, that's what's causing the problem. Let me try it, & re-upload the font; it might be much easier work then. :-) It shouldn't take very long.

Edited on Jan 21, 2023 at 21:53 by The Mouse Avenger

marty666 said  
Hi,
You should probably specify your budget if you expect an answer.

I don't want to ask for too little or too much, so I'll say...perhaps $25 would do.

marty666 said  
Hi,
But first, are you sure you're not trying to reproduce an existing font?
This poster was declined in English, French and other languages, so I'm pretty sure it was made from a font.

If it was a font, it was made especially for the movie poster; I haven't been able to find anything like it online anywhere.

Do these answer your questions? :-)

All times are CEST. The time is now 02:22

Privacy Policy  -  Contact