Forum

88 posts    Identified fonts

Posts by JibbaJabba Fonts

May 06, 2010 at 05:03  [reply]  What makes a font popular?

I spent one weekend designing and kerning Rough Typewriter. It's downloaded 500 to 1000 times a day, generally.

I spent over a month on Clementine, trying to make it look hand drawn, and it gets downloaded a few times a week.

I think the most important thing for a font is what's popular right now.

And that's GRUNGE.

-- J

WolfBainX said  
Something I noticed along the same lines quite by accident by typing some of my font names into google image search, was a group of embroidery web sites selling converted patterns of some of my freeware fonts for up to $9.99.
Basically they take your font and convert it into their required data so they can use it on embroidery machines and the like.
None of them have ever asked my permission to do so, and they insisted they had the right to do so! haha!
needless to say that is why I added a lengthy clause into my EULA forbidding it in the future without my written consent or a licensing agreement stating they bought the rights to do so.
If you make popular display fonts check ebay and google for people using your fonts, i'm sure some of yas will be surprised as I was! haha.
best regards
Larry Yerkes

Hey, copyright still protects you in this instance. ANYTHING on the internet is instantly protected by copyright. Your font, unless clearly indicated "Free for all uses" is still protected by copyright and anyone attempting to rebrand your work would be subject to legal issues. I'd let them know that you'd like to be compensated fairly for your work (Perhaps a percentage of profits they've received from reselling your work) otherwise let them know that you'd be hiring an attorney (whether it's true or not this would let them know that you know your rights and they've violated them.

This is all within US Federal law under copyright code.

Apr 21, 2010 at 04:34  [reply]  Commercial fonts

Most fonts are free for personal use, but require licensing for commercial use. Check the readme files of the fonts you're interested in.

Apr 19, 2010 at 23:04  [reply]  Font Password

So what did we learn? Don't download fonts from anywhere but here.

Well, the problem with thinking any publicity is good publicity is that, while my fonts are free for PERSONAL USE, some of these sites remove my notation that commercial use requires a licensing fee.

That means money out of my pocket.

-- J

Maybe we could update the user agreement for foundry's on this site to include an exclusivity clause. Something stating that we give DaFont exclusive rights to host our font? That way we could point to that in writing and say, "look (illegal site) we have it in writing and you've clearly violated the terms of use. Cease and Desist. If it happens again then you'll be subject to legal action as this is a clear violation of United States Copyright law."

Make sense?

I know that another site that I use for some of my day job work, Best Brands of The World, requires you to agree to terms and conditions by checking a simple little click box before your download link appears. Seams an easy solution to me. Thoughts?

-- J

Apr 03, 2010 at 23:37  [reply]  Need fonts

Those were all hand-done by Letterers at Marvel Comics in the late 80's early 90's before the emergence of computer fonts.

Yeah, I've spent the better part of two days before writing these sites and issuing cease and desist letters. I work hard on my fonts and only want them listed where I can keep track of them.

Having said that... what is the legality of what they're doing (for anyone that knows). I don't want to sue, but I do want to keep my fonts on this site and this site ONLY.

-- J

All times are CEST. The time is now 23:28

Privacy Policy  -  Contact