Anúncio de Iconian

Fórum

16 posts

LtStd - what does it mean in font name?

15/05/2010 às 10:31

I think, that Lt is from Linotype, but what is the Std?

15/05/2010 às 10:57

Light Standard. If it was STD, however, it would mean sexually transmitted disease.

15/05/2010 às 12:47

metaphasebrothel disse  
it would mean sexually transmitted disease.

Better will be Light Standard

Thank you very much.

15/05/2010 às 18:20

"LT" in a fontname is for Linotype. "Lt" might be short for Light. Is it a light font?
"Std" in a font from Linotype/Adobe/Monotype stands for "Standard OpenType font" - as in no extra language support.
"Pro" in a font from Linotype/Adobe/Monotype means it has extra language support (minimum CE, but often Cyrillic and Greek, too).
Both "Std" and "Pro" fonts from Linotype/Adobe/Monotype may contain advanced OpenType features, but they also may not – Std/Pro only tells something about the language support.
But we're miles away from dafont/"free font" territory here...

15/05/2010 às 20:54

I stand corrected. Roger S. Nelsson is more knowlegable in these matters than I, but my reply was funnier.

16/05/2010 às 12:46

Roger S. Nelsson disse  
"LT" in a fontname is for Linotype. "Lt" might be short for Light. Is it a light font?
"Std" in a font from Linotype/Adobe/Monotype stands for "Standard OpenType font" - as in no extra language support.
"Pro" in a font from Linotype/Adobe/Monotype means it has extra language support (minimum CE, but often Cyrillic and Greek, too).
Both "Std" and "Pro" fonts from Linotype/Adobe/Monotype may contain advanced OpenType features, but they also may not – Std/Pro only tells something about the language support.
But we're miles away from dafont/"free font" territory here...

Yes, that's it! There is "LT" so "Linotype".

Where I can find some additional information about fonts naming?
I found only that PDF document: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ZXMeO7rrLY8J:www.adobe.com/devnet/font/pdfs/5088.FontNames.pdf+font+naming&hl=pl&gl=pl&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiUGwL7PlBFJ87XxcCu5ibXPuC4gG7Ag7V39urQ6TUX0tupp_nXsv5bJBtBXgHHz6U1CHvBxj1f9j7VVynxlNtVDeruqoPgJknjnDxfSOlBRQYl7kHfTy20yg2WqMF55Th8NxOV&sig=AHIEtbSbEWgNHOvxORj3mQv3Orwq-0IVag

16/05/2010 às 22:25

vBB, LT only stands for Linotype if written in caps. Lt does not stand for Linotype but as pointed out before for light.

17/05/2010 às 10:50

18/05/2010 às 12:54

Thanks guys for information ;]

18/05/2010 às 21:30

I have one problem yet, what does "BT" mean?

Both letters are big, B and T -> BT

18/05/2010 às 23:13

as far as i remember, it's Bitstream, a foundry

19/05/2010 às 10:03

BT > Bitstream. Bitstream delivers high-quality font solutions for developers, ad agencies, graphic designers, desktop publishers, corporations, small businesses, and home office users. Our world-renowned library includes over 1,000 high-quality fonts in OpenType, TrueType, and PostScript Type 1 formats for Windows, the Macintosh, Unix, and Linux.

LT > Linotype. For most of Linotype’s existence, font development has been aimed exclusively at the company’s own typesetting products. During this long and prosperous period, Linotype became the standard against which all other font libraries were measured. Later, under the leadership of Mike Parker, the company made Helvetica the closest thing to a household word that a font name has ever achieved.

FF > FontFont. Berlin-based FontShop International, started by Erik Spiekermann, Joan Spiekermann, and Neville Brody in 1989/1990, offers its own line of digital fonts under the FontFont label.

EM > Emigre. Emigre is a digital type foundry and publisher of the design journal, Emigre magazine.

EF or E+F (don't remember) > Elsner + Flake. Veronika Elsner and Günther Flake founded their company Elsner+Flake Designstudios after ten years of freelance experience in the field of type design, typography and digitizing of fonts and logos.

ITC > ITC Foundry. founded in 1970 by Aaron Burns, Herb Lubalin and Ed Rondthaler, ITC introduced a brilliant series of new advertising designs widely distributed through all major manufacturers of typesetters. In recent years ITC has released some more serious designs, but the library is to this day dominated by display faces. Until 1999 ITC published the quarterly magazine U&lc, aimed at anyone responsible for specifying type; it became a unique marketing medium.

P22 > P22 Foundry

URW > Unternehmensberatung Rubow Weber. URW++ is the successor of the company URW (Unternehmensberatung Rubow Weber) in Hamburg, Germany, and continues to market and develop the IKARUS suite of font digitization tools; LINUS, a logo production tool; and the large URW font collection.

BB > Blambot, i guess. Blambot Comics Fonts was founded in 1999 by Graphic Designer / Illustrator, Nate Piekos.

And many others....
(source: myfonts.com)

19/05/2010 às 14:33

thanks

11/03/2014 às 05:11

and in helvetica BQ
BQ ???

11/03/2014 às 08:27

Berthold.

31/05/2016 às 21:54

Of the numerous articles and resources I've found that define the many abbreviations in font names, this is perhaps the most complete:
http://help.fontshop.com/hc/en-us/articles/202693665-What-do-all-of-these-abbreviations-mean-

Also check out the Periodic Table of Font Elements @ Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fontshop/4134128747/

Todos os horários são CET. Agora são 00:03

Política de Privacidade  -  Contato