Forum

12 posts

Installing fonts on a machine outside of C://?

Mar 18, 2013 at 03:54

I like to work sometimes at my school and I need to use some fonts that aren't on the machines here. Unfortunately the C:// has restricted access and I am unable to install any new fonts on there without admin permission.
Is there any way to use some other drive to read fonts?

Mar 18, 2013 at 08:59

Copy the fonts you want to use to a USB memory or so. When at school before you start any application double-click on the fonts to open them and then minimize. The fonts are now available to most applications until you close them.

Mar 18, 2013 at 09:26

koeiekat said  
Copy the fonts you want to use to a USB memory or so. When at school before you start any application double-click on the fonts to open them and then minimize. The fonts are now available to most applications until you close them.

Only on Windows versions prior to Windows 7 or Windows 8

Mar 18, 2013 at 09:54

Then hopefully the PCs at school are old ones

Mar 18, 2013 at 09:56

That's highly probable

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:04

Yet, there is always a way out

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:24

boot on your own system on a live usb key

Mar 18, 2013 at 13:20

Would the school Admin allow changes in the boot sequence

Mar 18, 2013 at 13:44

don't know.
sometimes, admins don't know what they do.

Go to the nearest hi-tech shop.
Try to change the BIOS password on the first computer you meet.
I'm sure you can brick it...

Mar 18, 2013 at 14:17

I think I would prefer the Hungarian solution

Mar 19, 2013 at 17:11

Akyde said  

I like to work sometimes at my school and I need to use some fonts that aren't on the machines here. Unfortunately the C:// has restricted access and I am unable to install any new fonts on there without admin permission.

You could embed the font in an MS Word document on a computer that doesn't have installation restrictions, attach the document to an e-mail addressed to yourself, then open the e-mail and download the attachment at the school. This assumes that the font(s) you want to use allow embedding. You can only embed one font per document.

I wrote a tutorial on embedding in post #7 of this thread: http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/78124/why-won-t-this-font-work-when-i-try-to-make-it-bold

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:03

metaphasebrothel said  
Akyde said  

You could embed the font in an MS Word document on a computer that doesn't have installation restrictions, attach the document to an e-mail addressed to yourself, then open the e-mail and download the attachment at the school. This assumes that the font(s) you want to use allow embedding. You can only embed one font per document.

I wrote a tutorial on embedding in post #7 of this thread: http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/78124/why-won-t-this-font-work-when-i-try-to-make-it-bold

I should have said before that I wanted to use the fonts in Photoshop instead of word. Do you know of any embedding mwthods similar to that?

Thanks for telling me though. Pretty useful

All times are CEST. The time is now 05:44

Privacy Policy  -  Contact