Ad by nurrehmet

Forum

6 posts

Font 'cleaning' (unused glyphs) in FontForge

Mar 18, 2013 at 00:43

Hello.

I have been using FontForge, and I was wondering if I can get some help. I wanted to know if there's a way to clean up unwanted glyphs (like Chinese Characters for examples) before generating them? Like the Segoe font for example - it only has the characters/glyphs (Latin, Cyrillic, Greek) and some dinbats without all the unnecessary clutter of unused glyphs. I tried to look up some info on FontForge site, no such luck.

Any help can be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mar 18, 2013 at 01:01

En français: Détacher et Supprimer...

Edited on Mar 18, 2013 at 01:02 by claudeserieux

Mar 18, 2013 at 01:14

Assuming you mean Detach and Remove Glyps. I can select for instance all the other glyphs that are there, detach and remove, save it, generate the font, and it will only show my character glyphs and not the extra stuff. I may give that a try, I doubt if that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks again, if there's any suggestions, I appreciate them.

Mar 18, 2013 at 01:40

Remove Unused Slots + Detach & Remove Glyphs...

Mar 18, 2013 at 02:21

I tried it. No such luck. It still shows my font design, other unused character glyphs, kanji glyphs and such. I tried both, most of my work vanished, so glad I didn't save it.

When I try Force Encoding under Glyph Order, it only shows the glyph sets I created. But when I Save under new name, generate the font, install it, it shows my glyph works and other unicodes... hmmm.

I'll still try something out.

Aug 05, 2017 at 20:39

In case someone stumbles over this: You can type or render Chinese symbols with your Latin only font because the system substitutes another font as a fallback for missing glyphs. Depending on your operating system and software you may find a way to see a "pure" version of your font or temporarily disable the fallbacks. On Linux for example you can create a new font directory with only your font and use an environment variable to temporarily set it as the only font source: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2010-June/msg00000.html

All times are CEST. The time is now 10:07

Privacy Policy  -  Contact