Forum

9 posts

How can I charge $$ for my font, or at least add the button for people to donate?

Feb 09, 2013 at 19:50

My font has been up for a few days and I thought I submitted it so the "donate" button would show up next to it but it's not there. How can I fix this?

Feb 09, 2013 at 19:59

My account / Donate link

http://www.dafont.com/fr/forum/read/81225/how-to-charge-for-a-font-s-download-help

Edited on Feb 09, 2013 at 20:04 by claudeserieux

Feb 09, 2013 at 20:08

thanks!!

Feb 09, 2013 at 20:10

akasper, everyone who has one or more fonts hosted by Dafont will have a link at the top of each Dafont browser window called My Account. Click on this link, and a list of your fonts will appear, with download totals for the previous day, total downloads to date, and the number of comments made on your font. To the right of the name of each font, you'll see a link called update. Click the update link, and you'll be directed to a separate page of details and preferences about your font. You can update the license terms, add or change artwork, add or change the Note of the Author, etc. After making any changes, click the Submit button at the bottom, and the Dafont Webmaster will probably have your changes processed in 1-3 days.

I think you'll need to have a Paypal account if you want to use a Donationware license, as Dafont does not collect money on behalf of any of the designers showcased here. If you have a Paypal account, in the Note of the Author section, type Note to Webmaster:, and provide the details about your account. Updates are manually processed, so that information would not be displayed to others on the details page for your font.

If you're using a Free for Personal Use license, you should include a read me document with any future submissions, clearly stating the terms of use. For a font already uploaded where the license is being changed, you can state the terms in the Note of the Author section, including an e-mail address to which commercial use inquiries should be directed.

You should also keep in mind that, even though thousands of people may download your font for free, very few would but a license, or donate. My unscientific study comparing the relationship between downloads and font comments suggests that one comment per 80.000 downloads is about average. Donations and license purchases would be even less. claudeserieux who responded to you initially has almost 10 million downloads at Dafont, but I think he's only received about $100 in donations. Almost no one makes a significant income from Free for Personal Use fonts, so don't let that be your motive. Most of use do it for that one comment per 80.000 downloads!

~bobistheowl

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Feb 09, 2013 at 20:28 by metaphasebrothel

Feb 09, 2013 at 21:58

Add to metaphasebrothel's remarks

It all depends on whether you want people to make a donation to you or to someone/thing else. If you want the money for yourself the paypal option is by far the best. If not, make it very clear in the font license text incorporated in both the font description on dafont and in the font header itself that for not private use (I personally think private use is clearer than personal use) a donation is required. Make sure that the contact info is in both the font description on the download page and the font header.

As metaphasebrothel said, if you want money for yourself don't expect too much. You'll be disappointed. But when you ask a donation for a good course you will see the result multiply as if there where no tomorrow. One font of mine with only 50,000+ downloads up to today has already generated over $ 3,000 in donations. I would never ever had anything remotely close to that when I had asked for money for myself.

Sometimes it generates a better result when you ask for something else than for yourself.

Edited on Feb 09, 2013 at 22:07 by koeiekat

Feb 09, 2013 at 23:55

I'm impressed, koeiekat. I wasn't aware that you had a font with 50.000 plus downloads!

I'm sure the animal shelters you support are severely underfunded where you live, as they are here. They can do a lt of good with that.

Edited on Feb 10, 2013 at 09:22 by drf_

Feb 14, 2013 at 00:46

koeiekat,

I am confused, sorry, by asking a donation be made for a good cause, do you mean request that donations be made to a specific charity, and then include that info in the font header and description? Such as an animal shelter as metaphasebrothel mentioned?

Feb 14, 2013 at 22:16

Hi Lauren, what I, as koeiekat, put on Dafont is free for strictly private use. As you can see on the download pages. I use the word 'private' instead of 'personal' as some smart ones, trying to bend the rules, tend to interpret 'personal' as 'as long as I use it for whatever I do but do not redistribute the file'. And, yes, it is donation-ware but not to my profit. But as I don't know where the people that want to use the file for not strictly private use actually live it is rather difficult to mention a specific charity. So I want people to contact me - plenty of possibilities - about the not private use license.
As metaphasebrothel mentioned the license to use the file for not private use is a donation - as to the user finds reasonable - to an animal shelter near to them. I think that is fair. After all the files I put on dafont are not my own type designs but revivals of ancient designs that have never been digitized.
Lately I have incorporated the Terms Of Use in the files header to make sure that also those sites that do not obey the do not re-distribute rules at least re-distribute a file with the TOU included.

You, Lauren, however, make your own type designs free for personal use. That is nice to the people. Sure. But as I told you many times before, they are too good to be for free. It is time you go commercial. It will not make you a a lot of money but may make you buy something nice for the kid.

Feb 18, 2013 at 13:40

Thanks for the run-down koeiekat.

"After all the files I put on dafont are not my own type designs but revivals of ancient designs that have never been digitized"~ As if that's anything to scoff at! I have to admit I am suprised by your modesty in regards to your work, you know, given your given your expertise and penchant for being quick witted. XD

You do it all for the cats. Aww. Speaking of animal causes, PETA should be using my Robinne font in an upcoming ad campaigne. (Fingers crossed!)

I agree that "private use," makes more sense than "personal use," I might start wording it this way as well.

All times are CEST. The time is now 03:39

Privacy Policy  -  Contact