Ad by Vilogsign

Forum

16 posts

font-making skills for hire?

Sep 17, 2012 at 21:40

Is anyone willing to create a font for me (paying gig, of course)? My mom recently passed away and I've been working to organize her recipes. So many weren't written down or need to be rewritten but I don't want to lose her handwriting, so I'd like a font created from her recipe cards to match her handwriting so I can print new cards in her "writing." I don't need all the symbols, etc., just basic numbers and letters. Please reply or send me a message if this is something you'd be interested in doing, along with how long you think this will take and what you would charge for the service. Thanks in advance!

Sep 17, 2012 at 21:42

Check out Font Panda - it's free.
www.fontpanda.com

Sep 18, 2012 at 09:38

Sep 18, 2012 at 13:59

Can you show us a sample?

Sep 18, 2012 at 15:24

I'd be happy to! I have a sample, but I don't know how to attach it here. Any ideas?

Sep 18, 2012 at 15:26

like most of the forums, paste your link between IMG tags

[ img ] http://thelinkttoyourimage./yourimage.jpg [ /img ]
(remove all whitespaces if you want it to work)
(and if you don't know where to host your pic, try tinypic.com )

Sep 18, 2012 at 15:35

Thank you!! Here you go. Let me know if that doesn't work. I'm new to this.

Sep 18, 2012 at 16:06

You do realize that you will never get the authenticity of your Mother's handwriting? It will just look a bit like it and all the small variations that make it her handwriting will be lost.

Now, what you can do is follow the suggestions given before but that is still a lot of work. You would need to select each single letter that you find most representative of her handwriting, then make good quality scans of these and then paste these scans in the templates needed.
Or, as you did, ask someone to do this for you. But then you would still need to provide good scans. A photo is by far not good enough. And you would still have to select which letter you find most representative.
Scans would have to be gray-scale at at least 300 dpi (preferably 600 dpi) and be saved in a loss-less file format, like png.

Sep 18, 2012 at 16:52

and she had such a writing that it will probably be difficult to make all the junctions between letters work...
:/

Sep 18, 2012 at 17:35

She had nice handwriting though!
Yes, your best bet would probably be going to fonts for peas or font panda and making her handwriting into a font yourself, as you might even have similar handwriting.

Sep 18, 2012 at 21:01

Now Dumbo, if you haven't anything useful to add bury yourself in the NY dungeons and be quit for ever after.

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:25

I'm not even going to dignify that with a reply.

Sep 19, 2012 at 09:20

Does that mean you're leaving ? Because in French we say "who doesn't say a word, agrees". Anyway, Malvolio, every single day I wonder how the hell do you manage to be even MORE stupid.

jsd1978, back to the topic, I went through a similar project with my grandfather's handwriting - my mother kept the first letter he wrote to my grandmother in 1956 - and it is really a hard work. Even if your mother's handwriting isn't that irregular, letters aren't "exactly" the same either - which is normal, we're talking "handwritten" here - so with a font you'll never be able to keep "exactly" the same feeling, as everyone said before. If you're ready to accept this, Koeiekat gave you the best guidelines to give a proper sample to turn into a font.

Sep 19, 2012 at 16:56

drf_ said  
Anyway, Malvolio, every single day I wonder how the hell do you manage to be even MORE stupid.

I guess I'm special.

Sep 20, 2012 at 01:35

See, guessing is no guarantee to certainty ...

Sep 20, 2012 at 04:35

Koeiekat, I am really coming to believe you are just testing me to see how much it takes to get me angry...

All times are CEST. The time is now 15:21

Privacy Policy  -  Contact