Forum

15 posts

Is there a free font program that allows adjusting Ascenders and Descenders?

Mar 27, 2012 at 00:51

I'm having a problem with several fonts such as Before the Rain and An Unfortunate Event and several others. All have the tops cut off. I understand from some research that the ascenders/descenders need to be adjusted. Does anyone know a free font editor that I can repair these in?
Thanks in advance.

Mar 27, 2012 at 01:52

Mar 27, 2012 at 02:16

Thanks Claude but that was not my question. That is the Creator of only ONE of the fonts I am asking about and that is a dead end. I have been to that site already with no results. Again I am asking for a free font editing program in which I can repair the fonts myself.

Mar 27, 2012 at 09:23

Hum, I don't mean to say you might be wrong, but given the huge amount of downloads, I would have guessed people would have been complaining about this issue before, no ?

What Claude meant anyway was that you don't really "modify" a font just like that, it's most probably not allowed to do so. Yeah, even for just a simple and easy modification, and even if you just want to write one single word. It would be like adding an arm to the "Venus de Milo" So he gave you the link to contact Måns Grebäck, the author of the first font you're talking about, to tell him about your problem.

I also advise you to be more specific about your problem - like, in which software does this happen, or even show a screenshot. I have just installed the font and wrote some text in different software, and everything looks good.

Apr 05, 2012 at 19:47

RavenZFire,

You could try reading my VERY short FAQ:
http://www.mawns.com/wordpress/faq/

Question number three.

Apr 05, 2012 at 20:14

Who needs to contact the author when the author comes here himself

Apr 05, 2012 at 20:30

Apr 06, 2012 at 02:20

Firstly:
Mawns,

I read your FAQ before I posted here. The text is being used in Macromedia Fireworks 8, an imaging program not Word or another text based program, and the line spacing can not be altered. As I understand it windows 7 sets the spacing the ascenders/descenders need to be adjusted directly in order for it to function as intended. I am glad to be able to ask you directly since I tried to contact you over this specific font numerous times with no reply. If there is another way to adjust it please do let me know. Thank you in advance.

Secondly:
drf,

I took your directive and added the name of the software in my reply. Thank you. In response to your comment regarding the 'Venus de Milo' with an extra arm, that would apply if I was visually changing the font from its intended shape/form. What I am trying to do is to get it to function as it is intended to look per the image of the font characters provided by the font creator. This is a setting issue relevant to the font itself, so that comment doesn't really apply. I hope that clears that up.

And so EVERYONE is clear as I stated above in my response to Claude: "That is the Creator of only ONE of the fonts I am asking about and that is a dead end. I have been to that site already with no results."
I sent three emails to the email address provided on the creator's site requesting assistance on the Before the Rain font with no reply in over a month, regardless if the reason for the lack of response is intended or unintentional it is the reason I sought assistance here. Additionally, contacting this one author does not resolve the issue with the other fonts I am having the same trouble with. :(

I have looked through a lot of postings here that pertain to the ascenders/descenders needing adjustment when this issue occurs and several people have made mention of repairing the issue in a font editor. Rather than bother those who claim to have a program of this nature and ask for someone else to adjust it, I asked someone to assist me in doing so myself, i.e. directing me to a free font editor with this capability. As the Chinese proverb says: "If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."

Apr 06, 2012 at 03:35

Apr 06, 2012 at 04:06

What program is that Claude?

Apr 06, 2012 at 09:34

RavenZFire, of course, my comparison with the "Venus de Milo" is a little bit "eccentric", but I'm sure you got what I wanted to say I have to admit though, that the problem you're facing doesn't not require, of course, an "aesthetic" modification, but a functional one. I have never used Macromedia Fireworks so I couldn't really be 100% sure of what I'm talking about. Although, from what I have found after making some research, it seems like line spacing can also be adjusted in Fireworks, which could be the answer to your question. Could anyone confirm that ?

Apr 06, 2012 at 10:19

RavenZFire,

I'm sorry to hear that. I find unlikely I have missed three emails though.
Could you please mail me again at mawns@live.se with the dates of the previous emails?

And no, you can not edit my font. If you purchase the license (http://www.mawns.com/wordpress/font/?font=before-the-rain) I can help you and make a special edition.

You're correct about your quote, if you learn how to make fonts you will have your own fonts for a lifetime

Apr 06, 2012 at 11:53

This is the problem (left) and the solution (right):

Apr 06, 2012 at 17:45

koeiekat said  
This is the problem (left) and the solution (right):

C'est aussi mauvais.

units_per_em" is the ratio of the vertical size of a glyph in FUnits to the number of vertical FUnits in the em square. There are (usually) 2048 vertical FUnits in the em square.

[url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd145183(v=vs.85).aspx[/url]

Edited on Apr 06, 2012 at 17:47 by drf_

Apr 06, 2012 at 19:26

True. But the clipping problem is solved. And that was the question. All other problems are still there ...

All times are CEST. The time is now 18:25

Privacy Policy  -  Contact