Ad by YeahNoah

Forum

11 posts

API integration ?

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:42

Hello,

I came here looking for API to integrate into a ios application.
I have developped an editor for iPad and I would like to extand the provided font of the device.

Is it something you have plan to do ?
It would be great if my users could search for some specific fonts on dafont, and pay to download the fonts they like.

Cheers,
Erwann

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:45

An editor for iPad, can you be a little bit more specific ?

But, let me synthesize this. You want to make people pay for fonts they can download legally for free here, am I right ?

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:58

not quite that :
> An editor for iPad, can you be a little bit more specific ?
it is a nice text editor to create nice illustrations, like infographics.
The user can put text, image and shapes and display them to look nice.

> let me synthesize this. You want to make people pay for fonts they can download legally for free here, am I right ?
it is not the paying system that is important but the ability to request and download those fonts automagically.
As it is a commercial product, I want to respect the licence from the original author and give them the fee they are entitled to, like with the "Donate to author" button

Erwann

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:00

If you want to use the fonts commercially, you would have to contact each designer of the fonts you want to offer, and ask them for permission. Unless it clearly states "Free for commercial use".

Edited on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:02 by Myotis

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:12

even if I don't include the fonts by default but help my users to discover them ?

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:14

Yup, I agree with Myotis. As you can't add fonts to the iPad system, they'll have to be embed to your software. So if you make money out of it, it's clearly a commercial use. I also guess this has to be discussed with each author.

Edit : Furthermore, embedding fonts in a software requires a specific licence most of the time. So my guess is, if you allow the user to write text in your application with a font you/the user have/has downloaded here, it is clearly embedding so... You might get some copyright issues there.

Edited on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:25 by drf_

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:33

You are right that the fonts must be declared into the app, but they are not obligatory embedded.
I can imagine a process where the user has to download the fonts at runtime, and after licences fee for exemple.

My question was more about API, as I haven't seen automatical integration of dafont.
I think I can also ask webmaster at dafont.com

edit : in fact, I don't even need to declare all the fonts in the app, as I can add them at runtime with :
https://github.com/zynga/FontLabel

Edited on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:45 by Diwann

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:45

Well, if a font is used in a software, it "is" embedded. Even if you just use it once and write just one word. At least I can imagine that's what a lawyer would say.

But I don't really get what you mean by "automatical integration" or API.

Edit : Anyway, in my opinion it doesn't change a thing. If you use a font in a software, this requires a different licence - most commercial fonts licences will state this. So, again, if you make money by allowing users to choose fonts, well, this can't be done "automatically", I guess. It would be up to each author to decide if he/she allows the use of his/her font in your software, in if he/she does, what would be the cost.

Edited on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:53 by drf_

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:54

it is an iPad app, so the user can not simply go to the website and download the font.
I was looking to integrate the search engine of dafont and show the result within my app.
This is usually done via API, where the website can be requested via predefined query and put its answer into xml file.

Mar 15, 2012 at 13:58

Ok. Sorry, it won't be possible to integrate this.

Mar 20, 2012 at 01:38

FYI : i found that the google repo is more easy to integrate :
https://developers.google.com/webfonts/docs/developer_api
thank you for your answers anyway

All times are CEST. The time is now 05:23

Privacy Policy  -  Contact