Forum

37 posts

What is considered personal use and what is commercial?

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:18

More specifically, for now I just want to use certain fonts in personal projects, that I'll upload to my blog, fonts marked as "free for personal use".

The blog is sort of an online portfolio. I pass it around, showing people what I can do, but I don't sell anything on it. Of course, it being a public blog, it means anyone can download what I did and use it for whatever, is that an issue?

And one more thing. If I put adds sponsored by Google on my blog, and I make some money of those adds, does it count as commercial use of the fonts?

I know some fonts have licenses in the archive, and that's cool. But I'm talking about those that don't have any license details.

I assume that the ones labeled as "free" are just that. They can be used for whatever, right?

Thanks.

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Jul 17, 2011 at 12:46 by camshaftgraphics

Jul 17, 2011 at 18:02

Why would you put the fonts on your blog and not simply link to where you found them?

Jul 17, 2011 at 20:28

koeiekat said  
Why would you put the fonts on your blog and not simply link to where you found them?

I'm sorry, I didn't explain properly.

The fonts are used in a poster. I used them to type the main text of the poster.

I don't want to share the font file, just use it.

Jul 17, 2011 at 22:17

As long as you stay in that stage, showing examples of what you are capable of, it is perfectly OK to use fonts that are free for personal use.
Yet, be aware, as soon as you start selling your time/work the fonts are used commercially, you are making money with them, and then you will need to come to an agreement with the creator of the font(s) used. Not really something to worry about, the fees/donations are amounts you take out of your back-pocket without even thinking about it. It is merely a recognition of the work of the font creator. Which is perfectly OK, agreed?

Jul 17, 2011 at 22:46

Yup, seems fair enough.

If I'm making money of a man's work, only fair I recognize his/her contribution.

Jul 20, 2011 at 09:28

camshaftgraphics said  

The fonts "only personnal use" limit not only commercial use but the diffusion too.
If you create something that you give to a frend, it's no more "personnal use".

camshaftgraphics said  
And one more thing. If I put adds sponsored by Google on my blog, and I make some money of those adds, does it count as commercial use of the fonts?

You ask if "make money" is a "commercial use" ?
If not, what's a commercial use ?...

camshaftgraphics said  
I assume that the ones labeled as "free" are just that. They can be used for whatever, right?

Theoricaly right.

camshaftgraphics said  
If I'm making money of a man's work, only fair I recognize his/her contribution.

Work is not only to recognize. It's to pay too.

Jul 20, 2011 at 14:37

Menhir said  
camshaftgraphics said  

The fonts "only personnal use" limit not only commercial use but the diffusion too.
If you create something that you give to a frend, it's no more "personnal use".

That is not completely true Menhir. Using a font to make a piece of artwork as a gift for a friend is personal use. Using a font on a private website/blog/whatever is personal use. Even when a site visitor may make a screendump or save an image. Only when, and only when, it comes to selling such artwork it becomes commercial use.

Deleted user 668861
Apr 04, 2013 at 05:17

What about using a font to make business cards? The cards are not sold...

Apr 04, 2013 at 09:13

The "business card" is for "business", right ? So, it's commercial.
this cards are commercial tools for business. You don't sold it but you make money using it.

Apr 04, 2013 at 10:18

koeiekat said  
Using a font on a private website/blog/whatever is personal use.

Hum... is depending, You can have a blog and a lot of visit and live on the advertising and at this moment is commercial purpose ....

Apr 04, 2013 at 11:03

pri·vate \ˈprī-vət\

Adjective
Belonging to or for the use of one particular person or group of people only.

Dafont, alas, uses the term 'personal'.

Apr 04, 2013 at 11:38

I set my own rules as far as my fonts are concerned. There is no protocol as far as what "personal use only" should be interpreted. Each font author has his own interpretation of what "perosnal use" means -- meaning whatever interpretaions others made about the term "personal use" DO NOT apply to my fonts.

As far as I am concerned, if you do not directly or indirectly make money from anything where you used the font, that's personal use. However, when you publish that work, regrardless of whether you directly or indirectly profit from it or not, the use of the font is no longer personal.

If you are going to publish a work that you will not indirectly or directly profit, get in touch with the font author and clear the matter with him/her. Make full disclosure of how you are going to use the font and do not cloak it in generalities as if you are trying to hide something. Of course you can skip this if a terms of use and/or EULA was included in the distribution. If I am the author of that font, I will likely not ask you to cough up $$$ but I will really appreciate knowing how the font is used.

To somehow illustrate this, I was asked permission to use K22 Spiral Swash for an entry in a tshirt design competition, I allowed him free use and with best wishes from me. I was asked for the use of Anabel for a self published book, I allowed free use even if I knew that she will profit from the sale of the book. I allow free use even in cases where I know the font is used on something the user will profit. What is important is that you communicate with me and state clearly how you are going to use the font. Howerver, when it comes to graphics and ad agencies, it is non-negotiable - pay or don't use the font.

=====================
You are correct in saying that you can use fonts that are tagged as "Free" for commercial use wihtout any obligation to the author. However, if you directly profit from the use of that "free" font, I am encouraging you to make a donation to the author of the font if that author has a donation button turned on here at Dafont or on other sites. Even if the font is tagged as "public domain" or "open license" a donation will be appreciated by that author if he/she enabled the donate button her at Dafont. You will find "public domain" and "open license" fonts here at Dafont that are compatible in quality to commercial fonts.

Donations for free, public domain, open license and personal use only fonts here at Dafont come in in trickles. You are very very wrong if you think that font authors make money from free fonts. I am not disappointed with it. I did not make free fonts to profit it. I did not even know that you can earn loose change from free fonts until about 2 years ago.

Apr 04, 2013 at 11:48

Finally "free,personal use,more" it will depend vision on the designer of the typography...
for me in first when i create fonts is for all people create more graphik design and more vision but is my personal vision.

Jul 23, 2013 at 00:28

What about YouTube? Is that considered personal?

Edited on Jul 23, 2013 at 00:31 by ToaTakanuva

Jul 23, 2013 at 16:54

YouTube is largely public, stuffed with commercial advertisings and earning (a lot of) money.
It's commercial.

Sep 02, 2013 at 18:37

What is the best way to give recognition to the creator? I wish to do so and ask for permission.

Sep 02, 2013 at 20:17

I would probably value Menhir's opinions more, if he ever makes a font. I find his opinions too extreme, as when he suggests that permission is required to use a free font, or his Draconian definition of commercial usage. My opinions are more in line with those of koeiekat and Toto@K22, as far as this thread goes.

What we do see, however, is that there is not a cut and dried definition of personal use that can be applied to all fonts that carry the Free for personal Use license description. What matters is:

"How does the author of the font you want to use define personal use?"

That should be set out in the licence, or read me. It ought to be included in the font header, as well, because no one can assume that all of the author's intended files will always be included with the download. There are hundreds of fly-by-night font download sites that never receive any submissions, they just mine Dafont and other legitimate sites for their content, and frequently strip a .ttf file from the download .zip, and only offer that. All of my fonts are free, so I'm not overly concerned about that for my own work, but other authors should think in terms of adding at least a rudimentary explanation of terms of use to the header. Don't include an e-mail address in the header, though, or it will appear in search engine results, and lead to many spam e-mails for generic Viagara, and penis enlargement pills.

Sep 02, 2013 at 20:55

metaphasebrothel said  
... It ought to be included in the font header ...

Not ought but must imho

metaphasebrothel said  
... and lead to many ... e-mails for generic Viagara, and penis enlargement pills.

gimme, gimme, gimme

Sep 02, 2013 at 22:15

What is the best way to give recognition to the creator? I wish to do so and ask for permission.

Sep 03, 2013 at 20:02

stnfabian said  

That varies from Faith to Faith. The sacrifice by fire of an unblemished kid goat, calf, or suckling pig, while considered old school by most, is surprisingly well received, and may lead to Divine Favour within a fortnight, particularly in battle. The key word is unblemished; examine your sacrificial animal closely, and make sure it has not been surgically altered, (ie: no gelded, spayed/ neutered, animals, should ever be used, only breeding stock).

While illegal in most countries, the sacrifice of an unweaned infant child will still appease most Elder Gods, especially if you are requesting permission to perform an act deemed illegal, blasphemous, or sacrilegious under more than one criminal or religious code.

In all cases, you should be kneeling, or in some recognizable posture of submission. I think that's they only universal requirement.

I hope this helps!

~bito

All times are CEST. The time is now 18:35

Privacy Policy  -  Contact