Ad by didjadid

Forum

9 posts

Harry Potter

Jul 11, 2011 at 21:38

Jul 12, 2011 at 07:02

Wow, I figured they were complaining about the 'Potter Titles' which has been cloned more than a few times. But they're making a claim on the HANDWRITING font used on occaision in some of the prop art? Worse, it's based on scanning handwriting samples from a French artist who passed on in 1906?

Sounds like P22 is getting greedy here. I'm not sure they can claim too many rights on something they admit on their page is taken from someone else's work to begin with and has passed into public domain...

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:10

The font is used on all the products they sell in the theme park. To use a font in this way you must aquire a license. There is a commercial license. They didn't respect this license. They're getting sued. Period.
Questionning the artistic process to make this font isn't releavent. Public domain means... public domain ! you are allowed to digitize yourself Cezanne's handwritting and turn it into a font and then sell your own font, if you want. The license is here to retribute the hours/months/years they put into making this font.
Do a better job if you can or pay the license if you need the font, plain and simple

Edited 3 times. Last edit on Jul 12, 2011 at 10:12 by vinz

Jul 12, 2011 at 14:56

Like I said, I checked out the font. The licensing information is very muddled and fairly questionable. Seems like NBC made an honest mistake here, and P22 is hoping for a juicy settlement rather than this being 'evil large corporation is screwing over a smaller one'.

Jul 12, 2011 at 17:51

I'm with Jaynz this time. The font is being used to create artwork. The license does not make clear that that artwork may not be used commercially. P22 (did they ever really design a typeface themselves?) sells a license for the use of the font. And that is exactly what has happened. The font - as such - has been used. End of story. Apart then, maybe P22 needs professional gray suits?

Jul 12, 2011 at 20:23

They should have used Base 02 instead

Jul 13, 2011 at 01:19

I suggest they just buy Scanahand.

Jul 21, 2012 at 17:10

Jul 22, 2012 at 16:23

The agreement for the most expensive signature package (on MyFonts) says:

"3. Fair Use. The basic P22 license is intended to accommodate personal use as in the course of everyday correspondence and document writing, or in the design of self-promotion pieces like business cards, newsletters and brochures. Other uses designated as “professional” or “commercial” may require additional licensing."

and further down says:

"A royalty based Commercial license is required when P22 font software is used to create a product sold for profit. If you have purchased the font(s) license for use as the principle design element to create a product to be sold such as, not limited to, rubberstamps, refrigerator magnets, or if the usage of the font adds value (value added) to a product to be sold such as wrist watches, house numbers, stencil kits, decals, digital art (screensavers, 3-D models, or other computer application), please call P22 at 716 885 4490 if you have any questions, for permission or to receive your commercial license quote or visit: http://www.p22.com/comlicensing.html for examples."

I don't see that license information provided on this font retailer, however: http://www.fonts.com/font/p22/p22-cezanne
The graphic artist could have purchased it from Fonts.com - maybe it came with a readme that you can only view after buying the font.

Seems like just a simple mistake, hard to tell who's even at fault (if the font author has license information but the font seller didn't provide it then that can get messy). One way or another they owe money for a commercial license, I don't think they owe anywhere near $1.5 mil...

Edited 4 times. Last edit on Jul 22, 2012 at 16:29 by Andrew2

All times are CEST. The time is now 18:49

Privacy Policy  -  Contact