Anúncio de Qeanc

Fórum

Posts por metaphasebrothel

22/07/2013 às 02:07  [resposta]  Mary Poppins

Check your private messages, Susan D.

22/07/2013 às 02:03  [resposta]  No Licensing Info!

It's very possible that someone other than Bright Ideas may have submitted the Bright Ideas fonts to Dafont. That would explain why there are no designer details nor licensing terms shown.

alr disse  
Metaphasebrothel, the above statement does make sense. However while this author says his/her font is free, when you download there is a copyright saying "all rights reserved". Since I am obtaining a font for commercial use, it would behoove me to make sure that it is indeed legally available for commercial use. I would rather take the time to find out now then fight a lawsuit in the future. Also, I am not the only one who has been confused by the info given for this particular font as I see others on the comment section looking for clarification as well. So with all of this said, do you or at this point anyone have any information on how to contact JW//Type?

Ps. thank you Koelekat for understanding my initial inquiry.

If a font is designated as Free at DaFont, it means that you don't have to pay anything to the designer to use it commercially.

If conditions are attached to the use of a font at DaFont, the author will indicate this when chosing the licensing terms. Information about the terms of use will appear in the font header, or in a supplemental read me/ license file, or in the note of the author.

For Free fonts at DaFont, if there are no specified restrictions stated, you have been given implied consent to use the work for personal AND professional purposes.

These guidelines do not necessarily apply if you download a font on a fly by night site, because many of those sites take their content from DaFont, almost always without the consent of the designer. They frequently remove license/ read me/ graphics files, and only make the .ttf or .otf file available.

In the case of Aaaiight!, the font author could not sue you for unauthorized commercial use, because it was the author who designated the work as free, when it was submitted. He made a free software file, for people who use and collect fonts. Maybe his fonts are skill-testing-question ware, ie: they are free to use, provided that the user understands the meaning of FREE, without further clarification.

All rights reserved just means that the font is not in the public domain, so while he does not charge you to use the font, you do not have the right to charge someone else for its use. You also do not have the right to create a knock off of his font, listing yourself or another entity as the holder of the intellectual property.

Aaaiight! is a Free font. That means you don't need to contact the author to use it. Maybe that's why he doesn't answer his comments.

If you were inquiring about a different Free font, the answer would be the same. If you were inquiring about a Free for Personal Use, Shareware, Donationware or Commercial font, the answer would always be different.

1) JPEG images are useless, because they use too many colours. Your source images need to be in black and white, or in colours that will turn black and white, if saved as a monochrome image.

2) No one is going to show you how to make changes someone else' font. The person who made the font wanted it to be the way it is.

3) It takes considerably more than five minutes to edit a font glyph.

Editado em 19/07/2013 às 00:55 por metaphasebrothel

It would have been a good idea if you had mentioned the name(s) of the font author(s) you're trying to contact, because there couldn't possibly be a single answer to cover a question so broad. It shouldn't have been necessary to point that out.

That's probably why no one is stepping up to help you.

18/07/2013 às 04:42  [resposta]  KG Flavor and Frames Two

I think that's intentional. It lets you type text inside the frames. I don't think you're supposed to type frames on top of each other.

17/07/2013 às 00:36  [resposta]  Is this illegal?

It's quite common on DeviantArt to find well known fonts retitled to match with an easily recognizable commercial use. For example, the font Onyx,

renamed Nirvana, because it was used on the Nevermind CD.

Menhir disse  
Of course not, this is not a scam. It is quite normal for someone to ask a stranger to make a financial transaction of millions. This is natural.

Not scam, Spam. Spam is junk messages/e-mail, named after the English canned meat-like food product.

14/07/2013 às 18:46  [resposta]  Compressed files

You might need to install a newer version of your archiving app, (winrar, winzip, 7z, etc.). That's usually the solution, when some people are having this problem, but others are not.

09/07/2013 às 05:29  [resposta]  troubles generating font files

If your intention is to make a nice piece of clipart with Illustrator, you need take things no further.

If you want to make a nice font, your Illustrator image is only a source, not a finished image. Spend less time perfecting the source graphic, and spend more time editing that source graphic with the font editor. No matter how detailed your source is, it will not import without some distortion. I'm not even sure that the source graphic and the vector will be of identical size - mine get reduced by about 6%, when importing.

There's an easy way to tell. using Microsoft Word. Generate a source graphic at the size you expect to be 72 points. After generating the fonts, install and select it. Add the source graphic to a Word doc, (insert -> Image -> From file), then type the font glyphs next to it at 72 points, and compare sizes.

07/07/2013 às 22:09  [resposta]  troubles generating font files

gigagrother disse  

Frankly, having inspected modern fonts here and there, I think the editors are very problematic to use and most of those fonts, if correct for small weight, look dreadfull once enlarged. I don't see how shapes can ever go perfectly right with that grid system, tell me if i am wrong...

The source graphic you make with Illustrator is only the starting point, if you want to make a good quality font. In ScanFont 3, which I use, the vector can be enlarged to the extent that changes can be made, equivalent to 1/96th of an inch at 864 points, (equivalent to 1/6912 of an inch/ about 1/2720 of a centimeter, at 72 points). Trying to judge things like parallel lines by eye is not going to give you accurate results, when the vector in enlarged, or reduced in size. Think of it like dividing numbers, but with a remainder, rather than a decimal, if the quotient is not a whole number. Example: You create a line that is supposed to have a slope of 3:1, but it's slightly off, (3,019/1,003), so the actual value is 3.00997:1, or slightly less than 1% error. The font editor will spread the excess value of 10 over the 1,003 distance, and the error will be almost impossible to notice. If you make the image 20% as large, the excess of 10 will be spread over about 251, making the error percentage 4%, instead of 1. Sometimes that 1/ 6912 variation at 72 points will be very noticeable at some, but not all, smaller point sizes, particularly with a straight horizontal or vertical line. The font editor will realize that the line is not exactly straight, and will assume that you wanted it to be that way. The font editor has no capacity for intuition; it doesn't correct your mistakes, it assumes that your mistakes are correct, and adjusts accordingly.

Many fonts are designed specifically to be used within a certain point size range. There aren't many script fonts that look good below 18-24 points, and there aren't many bitmap fonts that look good at larger than 72 points.

Don't blame the font editor, when fonts don't scale well. Blame the person who edited the font.

07/07/2013 às 12:27  [resposta]  Font or creator...

The letters look hand drawn, or printed from wood or metal type. It explains the rough edges and some small ink blots. Most of the letters have different heights and/ or baselines, suggesting further that this is not a font sample. I see "Roman Caps" from the clipped text at the bottom, as well.

06/07/2013 às 20:38  [resposta]  What font is this?

Previously identified here: http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/86374/font

Fonte identificada: Strangelove Text

Editado 2 vezes. Última edição em 06/07/2013 às 20:49 por metaphasebrothel

06/07/2013 às 20:35  [resposta]  troubles generating font files

The image changes to a vector when you import it into a font editing program. This vector is not an exact reproduction of the image you made in Illustrator, it is a reasonable facsimile. If you want the vector to exactly reproduce the imported image, you need to edit the vector.

Anything on DaFont that would be suitable should be found among the Basic -> Fixed Width, Techno or Bitmap Themes: http://www.dafont.com/themes.php

I'd wager my left nut that there's a Manfred Klein font that looks quite a bit like Pterra, but it must be one of the several thousand fonts of his that aren't available at DaFont. Try looking in the Manfred Klein Fonteria at TypOasis: http://moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein/index.htm. There should be a text sample for each of the available downloads. You can save time by not looking in the Picture Fonts categories.

02/07/2013 às 21:54  [resposta]  BDF Font: how to reduce height?

koeiekat disse  
You can not change the height of the glyphs with the vertical metrics...

Yes, it can be done, but perhaps not with FontCreator. It CAN be done with FontLab Studio5. The procedure involves making two separate changes the the UPM size, and also some changes to the True Type specific metrics.

Toto@K22 sent me a tutorial on how to do it, as I had expressed interest in creating a conventional sized version of my current font project. I've tested his method, and it works. That's the sort of thing I would do as the very last step before completing the font, because while editing, the larger size of glyphs that I use is a decided advantage.

02/07/2013 às 20:14  [resposta]  BDF Font: how to reduce height?

You would need to alter the vertical metrics, to change the height of the glyphs. I don't know if you can do that with FontForge. It's not really something that should be encouraged, either. Instead of modifying someone else' work to suit your purposes, you really ought to make your own fonts. That way, the height, spacing, centering, etc. will be exactly the way you want them to be, or as close as you can get, with your skill level.

Todos os horários são CEST. Agora são 14:41

Política de Privacidade  -  Contato