Anúncio de brianhaines

Fórum

11 posts

How do I reach an author who has no link to website, a phone number, or email address and does not answer their comment section?

18/07/2013 às 20:56

Need an answer regarding a commercial use question and their font quickly.

18/07/2013 às 21:57

Actually I have exactly same question. Any ideas please?

18/07/2013 às 22:07

It would have been a good idea if you had mentioned the name(s) of the font author(s) you're trying to contact, because there couldn't possibly be a single answer to cover a question so broad. It shouldn't have been necessary to point that out.

That's probably why no one is stepping up to help you.

18/07/2013 às 22:30

I appreciate your response though I don't agree that it is too broad of a question. It is a general question on how to go about contacting the author when the author's info is not given. However to answer your question, I am looking to contact JW//Type.

19/07/2013 às 00:24

You know what, air, you are absolutely right. A question on how to contact someone who has no link to website, a phone number, or email address and does not answer their comment section is clear enough. And very much clearer than 'does anyone know how to contact XXX who is the author of the YYY font'.

The wise Owl's response, therefore, was utterly irrelevant.

What do you do for a living air, mind reading?

19/07/2013 às 01:10

Aaaiight! is a Free font. That means you don't need to contact the author to use it. Maybe that's why he doesn't answer his comments.

If you were inquiring about a different Free font, the answer would be the same. If you were inquiring about a Free for Personal Use, Shareware, Donationware or Commercial font, the answer would always be different.

19/07/2013 às 22:11

Metaphasebrothel, the above statement does make sense. However while this author says his/her font is free, when you download there is a copyright saying "all rights reserved". Since I am obtaining a font for commercial use, it would behoove me to make sure that it is indeed legally available for commercial use. I would rather take the time to find out now then fight a lawsuit in the future. Also, I am not the only one who has been confused by the info given for this particular font as I see others on the comment section looking for clarification as well. So with all of this said, do you or at this point anyone have any information on how to contact JW//Type?

Ps. thank you Koelekat for understanding my initial inquiry.

19/07/2013 às 22:24

The name of the author is Johan Widegren.

Google found this site: http://mutype.com/ coming soon... the domain name was registered in 2005

You can try a whois lookup on the url for further contact information (assuming this is the right Johan Widegren).

20/07/2013 às 00:24

alr disse  
Metaphasebrothel, the above statement does make sense. However while this author says his/her font is free, when you download there is a copyright saying "all rights reserved". Since I am obtaining a font for commercial use, it would behoove me to make sure that it is indeed legally available for commercial use. I would rather take the time to find out now then fight a lawsuit in the future. Also, I am not the only one who has been confused by the info given for this particular font as I see others on the comment section looking for clarification as well. So with all of this said, do you or at this point anyone have any information on how to contact JW//Type?

Ps. thank you Koelekat for understanding my initial inquiry.

If a font is designated as Free at DaFont, it means that you don't have to pay anything to the designer to use it commercially.

If conditions are attached to the use of a font at DaFont, the author will indicate this when chosing the licensing terms. Information about the terms of use will appear in the font header, or in a supplemental read me/ license file, or in the note of the author.

For Free fonts at DaFont, if there are no specified restrictions stated, you have been given implied consent to use the work for personal AND professional purposes.

These guidelines do not necessarily apply if you download a font on a fly by night site, because many of those sites take their content from DaFont, almost always without the consent of the designer. They frequently remove license/ read me/ graphics files, and only make the .ttf or .otf file available.

In the case of Aaaiight!, the font author could not sue you for unauthorized commercial use, because it was the author who designated the work as free, when it was submitted. He made a free software file, for people who use and collect fonts. Maybe his fonts are skill-testing-question ware, ie: they are free to use, provided that the user understands the meaning of FREE, without further clarification.

All rights reserved just means that the font is not in the public domain, so while he does not charge you to use the font, you do not have the right to charge someone else for its use. You also do not have the right to create a knock off of his font, listing yourself or another entity as the holder of the intellectual property.

20/07/2013 às 01:06

Thank you metaphasebrothel. Now this is conversation that is both productive and informative. I appreciate the clarification.

Fmontpetit - Thank you for your information as well. I did get that far too but the website is still "coming".

20/07/2013 às 01:10

Have you tried a "whois" lookup on the url? It shows an address and phone number you could try...

Todos os horários são CEST. Agora são 14:21

Política de Privacidade  -  Contato