Anúncio de Fenotype

Fórum

Posts por metaphasebrothel

03/08/2010 às 01:31  [resposta]  Calligraphy and fonts online

As mentioned by koeiekat, you didn't post the full address of the picture you wanted us to see. I think you probably dragged the mouse in selecting the address of the picture, and the address was longer than the amount that appeared in your address bar. Try using this procedure:

To insert a picture, first type [, the left square bracket located to the right of the letter p on your keyboard, (lower case), followed by the letters img, followed by the right square bracket, like this: [ img ], but without the spaces before and after img. This is called an html image tag. If I had typed it properly, it would become a real image tag, and you would not have been able to read a lot of this message.

Open a second browser window to the page where your picture appears. In the address bar, right-click the address of that page, (the 'url'), and select Copy from the shortcuts menu. This will put the url into the Windows clipboard. If you are using an operating system other than Windows, there should be a similar way to copy a url from the address bar of a browser window.

Return to the page with your forum post in the other browser window. Click your mouse immediately after the right square bracket of the [ img ] html image tag -> There can't be any spaces between the ] in [ img ] and the h in http

When the cursor is flashing in the proper location, right-click with your mouse, and chose Paste from the shortcuts menu, to add the url of your picture to the forum post.

Immediately following the last character of the url of your picture, (again, with no spaces between the url and the image tag), type [ /img ], (without the spaces between [ and / and between g and ]) Once again, this is with the square brackets. but with a forward slash before the letters url. This will allow us to see the picture in your forum post, like this:

To create a link to an Internet page, rather than a link to a picture, do exactly the same procedure, except type url and /url inside the square brackets, instead of img and /img

~bito

Editado 3 vezes. Última edição em 03/08/2010 às 14:36 por metaphasebrothel

I looked into this problem at great length, as I was one of the people more affected by this problem than most. As far as I could determine, the problem relates to the zipping/unzipping tool one is using, and to some extent, the zipping/unzipping tool used by certain designers/uploaders, ie: there is some conflict between the two programs.

I recently checked all of my dafont downloads since the fonts posted in September, 2007, and made a list of which ones were corrupted at my end. All of the older downloads had been made using Internet Explorer 6 as browser, and a version of Winrar that I had been using for several years, without upgrading, (v. 3.63, or 3.64, I believe). I now use the current version of FireFox, and the most recent version of Winrar, (3.93).

I redownloaded all of the fonts that had been corrupted, and the new downloads all open without problems. In the one or two cases where a new download did not open properly, I tried the download again after restarting my computer, and I had no problem opening the newly downloaded files.

At some point in the near future, I will post a list of all of the fonts that had been corrupted at my end, so that anyone else who has experienced this same problem can use the checklist to see whether they should download certain fonts again. There was a direct correlation between the font designer/uploader and the time at which corrupted files first or last appeared.

This matter has been discussed at length in "The Cellar", and I am late in posting the full results of my research. There will be a more detailed explanation of this soon, but the important thing is that all of the fonts currently on the site can be downloaded without issue, provided that one is using up to date zipping/unzipping software.

~bito

ScanFont 3.13 is the only one I use.

26/07/2010 às 08:37  [resposta]  Font Can't Be Found

Heron2001 disse  
Badnewzdee,

If you original found the font on Dafont.com and it is no longer here, that means it was a font that cannot be placed on a free font site...

Heron2001, sometimes the font designer asks to have their font removed from dafont, for any of a number of reasons.

In this case, I believe badnewsdee has the wrong name for the font he's looking for, As far as I could determine, there is no font, free, commercial, or shareware, named 'Theres a sign head 3", or similar. It's quite possible that the font he's looking for is still here, but he doesn't know its' correct name.

Bell Bottom Laser is by Lorvad. His/her/their dafont page is:

http://www.dafont.com/author.php?author=220

There could be a read me doc in one of those other fonts, but I would doubt you would find any contact info. Bell Bottom Laser was made in 1991, and may well be based on a font made previous to that.

24/07/2010 às 09:07  [resposta]  no files to extract!!

23/07/2010 às 02:54  [resposta]  cannot open file

tazek65, I had this same problem, until recently. One or both of the following actions should correct the problem for you:

1) Upgrade to a more current version of your .zipping/unzipping application. I had had the same version of Winrar installed for several years, and it worked fine, except for certain .zip files here at dafont. I recently upgraded to the latest version of Winrar, (3.93), and I no longer have any problem opening dafont .zips. Note that, if you are upgrading software, you may have to uninstall the previous version first, (that's the preferable way to do it). In some cases, you can install a new version, and the install wizard will upgrade the currently installed version. If your unzipping tool will not allow you to upgrade in that manner, you will get an error message,

2) Restart your computer. In a small number of cases, I had problems opening dafont .zips if my computer had been running for several consecutive days. If you have up to date unzipping tools installed, try doing a restart, and see if your .zip file will download properly.

Hope this helps,

~bito

20/07/2010 às 17:35  [resposta]  tattoo

anniren disse  
I wanna get a tatto with a feminin font. Help me!

Near the top of the page you should see some links:

Themes Authors Tools Submit a Font
New Fonts Top Help Forum

Click on the Themes link. In the Script category, click on the Calligraphy link. If there's something here that would be appropriate for your tattoo, that's probably where you would find it.

~bito

17/07/2010 às 00:48  [resposta]  Font Can't Be Found

I did a search, (my own font collection, and a web search using google and metacrawler), and there's no record of a font by such a name. If you found it here, chances are it's still here, you just need to know the correct name of the font. If you can describe it, (ie: alphabet or dingbat/picture font; serif/sans serif; distinguishing characteristics, etc.), then someone may be able to help you. If you still have, or may still have, the font on your computer, you could try doing am internal search of all of your .ttf files, and if you find it that way, you won't have to be helped by anyone here.

14/07/2010 às 08:07  [resposta]  Napapiiri

Napapiiri is a free font by Petra Heidorn, who uses the alias CybaPee. She is the webmistress at TypOasis:

http://www.moorstation.org/typoasis/typoasis1.htm

(this link is listed as 'site' next to the designer's name on the Napapiiri page)

If you don't know this site, you should give it a thorough look. Even though nothing new has been added in almost three years, this is still one of the Internet's best resources for free fonts.

Designers showcased at TypOasis:

http://www.moorstation.org/typoasis/designers.htm

You don't need to ask permission to use a font that is designated as free, but if you want to contact Petra, her e-mail is cybapee@joice.net (the contact link is at the '@' symbol at the top of the Typoasis home page).

Editado 3 vezes. Última edição em 14/07/2010 às 08:13 por metaphasebrothel

"Strange though that Miss Claude set restricted license embedding in a free font ..." - koeiekat

I checked through some of my older fonts that have read me documents, isolated the designers that were offering freeware or equivelent* (*ie: e-mailware or postcardware, for example), and there weren't many that restricted embedding, and most of these were primarily dingbat font designers.

Notable freeware designers whose fonts do not allow embedding: Rev Josh Wilhelm, Ben Nathan, abecedarienne, Alli Paterson, Dani Foster Herring, Denise Clendenon/Ozmee, Dieter Schumacher, Jim Fordyce, Listemagarens, Mike Gaines, Patrick Broderick/Roto Design, Shrine of Isis, Vin Rowe, Nikos Goulandris, antavania, and Eduardo Recife, (to whom every grungy script designer owes a huge debt of gratitude)

Most of these fonts are from the late 1990's/ early 2000's, as is AlphaWood. I think most, if not all, were made with Fontographer, which was pretty much the only choice at the time.

~bito

07/07/2010 às 20:07  [resposta]  Contacting Beeline author

I'm pretty sure that all of her fonts are free, so you don't need to ask her permission to use it.

On the other hand, I checked AlphaWood and several of her other fonts, and the embedding setting is 'Embedding is not allowed' for all of them. If you can get her consent to embed the font, it's not difficult to change the settings.

07/07/2010 às 02:29  [resposta]  Contacting Beeline author

Try contacting the designer, Melle Claude, through her website:

http://clofont.free.fr/

Her e-mail address is on a subpage of her site:

http://clofont.free.fr/pres.htm clo_web@lycos.fr

As far as I know, all of her fonts are freeware.

~bito

Editado em 07/07/2010 às 12:35 por Rodolphe

05/07/2010 às 09:10  [resposta]  Creating a Font

Jason, FontLab is a company, not a piece of software. when you mention FontLab, I think you mean Studio5, (or Studio4). I use ScanFont 3.13, which is also from FontLab, but it is a very different app. FontLab also makes BifFonter, (which I wouldn't recommend to anyone), and the New ScanFont5, which is a plug-in for Studio5. The .vfb project files from ScanFont can be imported into Studio5.

@ d[esign]:
"That'd be very sad... Maybe if they made an online game like "Download the Font" it wouldn't be so sad; download a copy of a font as many times as you can against the clock to win the golden EULA and make a font author rich through Adsense revenue (patent pending)."

That's the purpose of many 'cookies', so web sites can track the number of unique views by ISP, when calculating advertising rates based on traffic.

Editado em 01/07/2010 às 02:52 por metaphasebrothel

01/07/2010 às 00:32  [resposta]  unable to load a font

zangid4 disse  
Please help I'm trying to load the font Touching Letter It keeps comig in a zip file the adobe not a ttf. Is it not available.
Please advise ASAP

Thanks,
Lori Zanardi

You need to extract the font from the .zip and install it, before you can use it in a document or other app. The .zip file's purpose is to compress the file for faster download, and to allow for multiple files to be included within the same .zip file, where applicable.

Read the FAQ, (Frequently Asked Questions), in the Help section, for additional basic questions.

http://www.dafont.com/faq.php

Don't mind the cat. I think he was dislodging a hairball.

Editado em 01/07/2010 às 00:35 por metaphasebrothel

d[esign], I find that my download numbers usually increase on each of Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, then they start to decline on Thursdays and Fridays, and then they drop off markedly on the weekend, then the cycle repeats. My guesses for the sharp peaks on your graph:

1) Numbers for most people probably go up or down significantly on the days when new fonts are posted. Obviously brand new fonts will have a major spike within 1-3 days, but the older catalogue will usually increase as well when a designer adds something new.

2) If you are referenced on a prominent blog, that will help download numbers for at least a couple of weeks.

3) If one of your fonts places highly in the 'Top fonts' category, it can tend to stay there, because I think many visitors browse that way instead of my Newest fonts or other search terms.

4) Adding a banner ad might make a spike, but not that much.

5) Having older fonts added to updates can easily create spikes like that, but the effect would probably be short term.

6) I wonder if those who have been reviewed in the 'looking at each other's fonts thread experienced any fluctuation of download figures afterwards. I would think the 'Up to Wednesday, down until Sunday' trend would be a much bigger factor.

I think the graph itself is a bit much, though. It reminds me of when I used to recalculate my FreeCell winning percentage every few games, to see what percentage of the remaining games I would have to win to top 84% by the end of the current hundred games.

The worst case scenario is that a lot of different people were having problems with downloaded .zips, so they had to download your same font multiple times to get a good copy. I hope there isn't anyone out there who is downloading their own font, over and over, just to move up on the Top Fonts page. That would just be fooling yourself.

Who's Next?

There are some people, whom I won't name, who update the same font every couple of weeks, just to move up to a top page. That's frowned upon. My AmyBats font went to updates when I added font #5, and FixCystNeon went to updates after one day, because I had put the Euro symbol in the wrong place, and Rodolphe fixed it for me. As you can see from the download figures for that font, it didn't help me get many extra downloads, but I think the figures will go up when I complete my banner ad, which is quite elaborate.

Awesome numbers for Defused, vinz, but that would be a drop in the bucket for Billy A. He's got 230,000 for Ginga on fontspace. To extrapolate a dafont total from that, multiply by 20-30.

30/06/2010 às 15:12  [resposta]  Look at each others fonts...

I won't be starting any kind of website anytime soon. I need all of my bandwidth for video file sharing. I'll stick to reviewing free/shareware/free for personal use fonts, and maybe some of the other people reading this thread will pick up the gauntlet and review commercial fonts. I'm already doing more than my share in this thread.

If I do ever make a website, it will be metaphasebrothel dot com. metaphase isn't a real word, but it sounds like one. The metaphase brothel would be a place where transdimensional beings hang out while travelling through hyperspace. Metaphase Brothel is an anagram of my name, as is "breatheshempalot", which was used as the creator for my Bewarethefriendlystranger font. I guess I was predestined to make fonts, because another anagram of my name is alphabet theorems.

Find the anagrams of your own name here:

http://www.mbhs.edu/~bconnell/cgi-bin/anagram.cgi

~bito

Mine, through June 29:

AmyBats (5 fonts): 53,767 since Feb, 2008
FixCystNeon: 4,583 since May, 2010
FrazettaBats1: 46,368 since May, 2008
HaydenPanettiereBats: 32,286 since May, 2008
KleinKarpets: 122,011 since Jan, 2008
ObeyGalleria: 27,645 since Jan, 2010
ObeyPatterns: 33,150 since Jan, 2010
ObeyRevolution: 35,835 since Jan, 2010