Fórum

7 posts

How to: font with syllabary glyphs?

08/02/2015 às 17:48

First of all: I have literally no experience with creating fonts, so explanations should be made in dummy format :P
Also, therefore, this is probably not the best project to start out with, but I trust my patience and determination to get me through it.

What I want to do:
- Create a font that uses syllabary glyphs, creating 1 single glyph symbol when 1 latin consonant + 1 latin vowel appears together.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangul is a good example: when typing the letters [H]+[A]+[N] in sequence, one single symbol: 한 (HAN) is automatically created.

(There are also separate symbols (base symbols) for all consonants and vowels. When combined, the vowels are used more or less like diacritics.)

Is this possible, and how? (P.S.: I don't want to use autocorrect functions)

STEP 2:
Also, I want these symbols to be placed quite closely together. In normal fonts, each letter uses a squared space of it's own. E.g.: when typing "VA" the lower part of the A doesn't start before the upper part of the V ends. I want my glyhs to have the ability to utilize that blank threesome space.
E.g. VV would appear just like that.
While VA would appear with a small overlap.

Editado em 08/02/2015 às 17:53 por tslupphaug

08/02/2015 às 19:17

What you want seems to be making lots and lots of custom ligatures (letter-combinations) that replace the single letters. That can be done and is done frequently nowadays wit fonts that imitate handwriting. The second thing you want is called kerning. This controls the horizontal distance between two letters. Like L and T and L and V will have an overlap and H and I will not.

Both can be done in most font editors.

08/02/2015 às 20:12

I see. Thanks for the quick response.
Since I presume I'm not going to be using font creators for much other than this particular project, I want to avoid costly software if it's possible. Can you recommend any free (or cheap) software that'll suit my needs?

(preferably with a well working "import image" feature, since I've already made most of my glyphs as .png files)

Editado em 08/02/2015 às 20:14 por tslupphaug

08/02/2015 às 21:12

There are cheapish and even free font editors out there like Type 3.2 and FontForge. I do not know about their bitmap import capabilities and the quality of their tracers and I hope to keep it that way. Both have a very steep learning curve. There is one that has an excellent bitmap tracer and a far less steep learning curve, but that one is far from cheap for what you want, Font Creator.

08/02/2015 às 23:33

I ended up going with the trial version of FontCreator 8.0. If everything goes along fine, I'll buy it.
But the learning curve has officially started :P I'm having trouble understanding how the OpenType script coding works. And couldn't find any decent guides online.

The "import image" and "composite glyph member" works perfectly though, and was very easy to understand.

Code:

script latn {
feature Ligatures;
}

feature Ligatures liga {
sub b a -> ba;
sub b e -> be;
sub b i -> bi;
sub b o -> bo;
sub b u -> bu;
sub b y -> by;
}

I'm getting:
Compiling script...
[Error] (21,3): Syntax error: "lookup" expected but keyword "sub" found
Failed

Editado 2 vezes. Última edição em 08/02/2015 às 23:52 por tslupphaug

09/02/2015 às 00:40

09/02/2015 às 09:08

Most probably, You forget about lookup definition.

It should look like:

script latn { feature LigaFeature; }
feature LigaFeature liga { lookup LigaLookup; }
lookup LigaLookup {
sub b a -> b_a;
}

Editado em 09/02/2015 às 09:08 por gluk

Todos os horários são CEST. Agora são 15:33

Política de Privacidade  -  Contato