Forum

9 posts

Making money from Font creations

Jul 27, 2016 at 18:20

Hello,

I'm new to the typography genre. I was wondering if people on here make money from submitting fonts or is it only from donations? How does it all work and are they multiple ways to earn money?

Jul 28, 2016 at 03:16

IMO if your intention is to make money, sell your fonts. There are several sites where you can sell your fonts. CreativeMarket is popular nowadays and has a very lax policy when it comes to things for sale - no evaluation process at all.

If you are going to post a font here at Dafont, do not raise your expectations too high or you will be very disappointed. However, based on experience, more donations will come your way through Dafont than any other free font sites. GoogleFonts was not considered because it is not an open font archive.

What kind of fonts, get the most donations? Look at the fonts that are heavily downloaded and those fonts are likely the ones that get the most donations/money here. Unfortunately, mine are not among those fonts.

Jul 28, 2016 at 13:34

I get donations for my fonts now an then, it's really not much, but considered that I made the fonts just for fun it's quite nice
I also started a shop on CreativeMarket recently to sell fonts (actually there IS an evaluation process, you have to apply for opening a shop. However, after that you can upload whatever you want, that's correct), and I'm curious how this will develop

Jul 28, 2016 at 17:42

toto@k22 said  
IMO if your intention is to make money, sell your fonts. There are several sites where you can sell your fonts. CreativeMarket is popular nowadays and has a very lax policy when it comes to things for sale - no evaluation process at all.

If you are going to post a font here at Dafont, do not raise your expectations too high or you will be very disappointed. However, based on experience, more donations will come your way through Dafont than any other free font sites. GoogleFonts was not considered because it is not an open font archive.

What kind of fonts, get the most donations? Look at the fonts that are heavily downloaded and those fonts are likely the ones that get the most donations/money here. Unfortunately, mine are not among those fonts.

Thanks you I appreciate the info. Don't lose your hopes maybe the next one will be top font.

Jul 28, 2016 at 20:34

The fonts I make are not the kind that gets the most attention but I am happy with the little attention my fonts get on this site.

As for $$$ part, I got much more than I ever imagined I would get for my fonts.

Jul 29, 2016 at 22:36

toto@k22 said  
The fonts I make are not the kind that gets the most attention but I am happy with the little attention my fonts get on this site.

As for $$$ part, I got much more than I ever imagined I would get for my fonts.

That's awesome to hear. For me any appreciation of anything I've created is good to me or good feedback.

Also in your experience what is the best licensing format would recommend?

Jul 29, 2016 at 22:37

byjanam said  
I get donations for my fonts now an then, it's really not much, but considered that I made the fonts just for fun it's quite nice
I also started a shop on CreativeMarket recently to sell fonts (actually there IS an evaluation process, you have to apply for opening a shop. However, after that you can upload whatever you want, that's correct), and I'm curious how this will develop

Thanks for the info!

Also in your experience what would you recommend for the licensing method?

Aug 01, 2016 at 12:29

For fonts here at Dafont, free for personal use. I still say that if money is your primary consideration, sign up with a font vendor and sell your fonts there.

BTW can you find my font, K22 Xanthus, in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKleQ1MXMCs

Don't blink as it was only shown a fraction of a second.

Aug 02, 2016 at 08:41

NuFonts said  

Thanks for the info!

Also in your experience what would you recommend for the licensing method?

Actually I can't recommend anything as I don't know which method is the best
Here on Dafont I have (or will have, as soon as my new font is accepted) three different licenses: 100% free, free for personal use and donationware. For the last two you have to pay if you want to use the font commercially.
On CreativeMarket you always have to pay to use the font.

I'm curious which method will work best in the future, and once I know what works best for ME, I will concentrate on that.

(Hope this makes any sense haha)

All times are CEST. The time is now 13:01

Privacy Policy  -  Contact