Forum

8 posts

Star Wars Tom Jung 1977 movie poster fonts

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:45

I am trying to identify all the fonts from this poster. I assume the logo is hand-drawn but not sure what it is based on. I can probably live with using the more modern logo, but if you have suggestions for basing it on this logo that would be helpful.

What's really stumping me is the other font. I believe the tagline and the credits at the bottom are in the same font. The closest thing I have found is a Star Trek font called Bajoran, but Bajoran has angled edges that don't fit, and also doesn't have lowercase. I used Identifont to no avail.

If anyone can help, I'd sure appreciate it!

Star Wars Tom Jung 1977 movie poster fonts

Identified font

Serif Gothic Roman  Suggested by claudeserieux 

Jan 26, 2014 at 01:52

Identified font: Serif Gothic Roman

Jan 26, 2014 at 02:00

Boy, ITC Serif Gothic Roman is so very close. There are two differences I spotted -- the uppercase Es are curved in the poster, but straight in the font. Also, the lowercase a is double-story in the poster but single-story in the font. So that's not quite it, but probably close enough.

Any other thoughts?

Jan 26, 2014 at 02:10

'A long time ago...'
It's ITC Serif Gothic .

http://cjoint.com/14jv/DAAciQi1DKn_serif-gothic.jpg

Jan 26, 2014 at 02:15

Jan 26, 2014 at 02:15

You're right. The alternate characters in there solve the mystery. You have my thanks, sir.

Apr 08, 2015 at 10:14

Dec 07, 2021 at 07:56

The Star Wars logo is custom lettering by Dan Perri, drawn in a vanishing point perspective and intended for the opening crawl of the 1977 film. Futura Display and Compacta Black were seemingly used in some of the other marketing for Star Wars, including some of the international logos drawn to match the style of Perri's logo. Whether or not those exact typefaces were the basis for Perri's original logo is not discernible. Below is an example of how it could have been done.

Possible Compacta Black modification demo:

Edited on Dec 07, 2021 at 07:58 by frd

All times are CEST. The time is now 11:19

Privacy Policy  -  Contact