Pubblicità di Nils Kähler

Forum

3 posts

Manfred Klein font for music cd artwork?

05/04/2013 alle 17:26

There is a Manfred Klein font that we would like to use for album artwork on a music project. It is a self-released EP that we will be putting on Bandcamp. There may be a point in the future that we will sell cd's as well.

I have emailed the contact at Manfred Klein several times and have not had a response. I want to make certain that I can use the font for our cd and website. Here is the statement on the Manfred Klein website:

"Manfred’s fonts are free for private and charity use. They are even free for commercial use – but if there’s any profit, pls make a donation to organizations like Doctors Without Borders.
These fonts can NOT be included in any compilation CDs, disks or products, either commercial or shareware unless prior permission granted."

Does this mean that the fonts themselves cannot be used or shared on cd's, disks w/o permission - such as in font compilations OR does this mean that the font on music artwork on a cd cannot be used w/o permission?

Any help or additional contact information for Manfred Klein would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

05/04/2013 alle 18:03

Manfred Klein retired from font design in early 2008, to care for his wife, who was very ill. Information I received from a third party suggested that he was ill himself, possibly with Alzheimer's Disease, or similar, (his English was poor; I believe the quote was 'he was becoming confused').

His fonts should be considered free for personal use, and Donationware for commercial use, ie: he would like you to donate a sum of your choice to a charity of your choice, if you use one of his fonts commercially. Doctors Without Borders is a suggested charity.

You can use his fonts for artwork on a music CD. You can't include any of his fonts on a compilation CD of fonts that would be sold commercially.

05/04/2013 alle 18:14

Thank you so much for your quick and informative reply!

I am happy to know that we are able to use the font and saddened to hear of the illness in his family. I will definitely make a donation to a charity in his name.

Thank you again and take care.

Fuso orario: CEST. Ora sono le 06:17

Privacy Policy  -  Contatti