Forum

Posts par metaphasebrothel

21/02/2013 à 03:56  [réponse]  Marcelle Font Questions

1) Instructions are in the Tutorial.jpg image file, included with the font.

2) Browse the Fancy -> Old School Theme: http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=104.

Download and install Winrar: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm, and I'll bet you won't have those problems.

17/02/2013 à 15:41  [réponse]  Can't print fonts?

holly0001, the problem you are experiencing is likely related to the embedding settings in the font(s). We need to know which font(s) is/are causing the problem(s) for someone to be able to help you with a solution. Otherwise you will just get more sarcasm from the chuckleheads.

17/02/2013 à 15:34  [réponse]  The Bizness of free fonts

If someone downloads a free/ free for personal use/ donationware font, it means that the font is more valuable to them than the time spent to complete the download, the bandwidth needed to transfer the file, and the disk space it occupies. Many downloads are never extracted from their .zip files. Just about everybody has downloaded multiple copies of many fonts, without realizing they already have them.

If I'm walking down the street and someone offers me a free lollypop, I will accept it, but I won't make a donation to the Hare Krishnas for doing so. Just because someone downloads a font, doesn't mean they will ever actually install it, or use it if it is installed. Many people just collect fonts, like other people collect coins, or stamps, or figurines of animals.

I have declined a few requests for financial compensation for the commercial use of my free fonts. Most notably, film director Tyler Perry's representatives asked my permission to use one of my dingbat glyphs for a poster used in the background/ set dressing for a scene in his film For Colored Girls:

If a font is free, it's free for everybody, even those who can easily afford a licensing fee. Israeli Trance music DJ Liam Shachar also used a glyph from BeautyMarks in his logo:

, with my blessing. It was nice of him to e-mail a .pdf of the font in use. That's the only kind of compensation I'm looking for.

I agree with Daniel Gauthier of Gaut Fonts, who quoted Wayne Burris on his page at TypOasis: "If you want to give back to the Design community … design a font.”

johninlongmont a dit  
koeiekat a dit  
Because you do not play by the rules. Ever gave it any consideration why copy is spelled differently from install?
So you know better. You don't give about how things should be done. You know better. You do things your way. According to you 1 + 1 = 9703526823097. Well if you want that, OK. But don't expect things to work.
So go to the nearby supermarket, buy some ears, plug'm in and start listening.

Very dangerous though. Y might learn something. And you wouldn't want that to happen, would you?

thank you, mr. genius....here's what the site instructions say for XP

"Windows XP: Put the font files into C:\Windows\Fonts"

it doesn't say "install" or "copy"...it says "put"

You have to Paste the .ttf into C:\Windows\Fonts to install it.

Édité le 17/02/2013 à 01:05 par metaphasebrothel

17/02/2013 à 01:01  [réponse]  The Bizness of free fonts

The ratio of downloads to posted comments is about 80,000 to one. The ratio of downloads to donations would probably be similar. One in a hundred downloaders donating is highly optimistic.

16/02/2013 à 01:23  [réponse]  Ethics of Similarity

@ claudeserieux: The example of Adobe Systems Inc. vs Southern Southern Software Inc. is not really similar, as there is a huge difference between altering a font design by 1%, and altering its character map by 20 - 40%.

@toto@k22: I have no plans to make a script font at this time. This thread is hypothetical, for discussion.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should open a font, stretch the glyphs, rename it, and claim it to be an original design. I suggested that the character map from an existing font be printed or converted to digital images, those images be modified, the modified images be imported into a new font, the imported images be smoothed, then a new font be generated.

Here's an example where I have done this for a Public Domain alphabet design:

It's obvious that one is a derivative of the other, and yet they are significantly different. All of the angles are changed, except for those that are 100% vertical.

Suppose that the first N had initially appeared as an original design in a font. Does that author automatically own variations that he did not design? How much would the difference have to be before the variation becomes an original design itself?

15/02/2013 à 04:57  [post initial]  Fonts with 'old style' numbers?

Could anyone suggest a few fonts that have 'old style' numbers, similar to the ones on this coin?

I didn't put this in Font Identification, because these numbers are engraved. The metrics of the letters are important; I'm interested in having the 4 be small, and long descenders for the 7 and 9.

Thanks!

~bito

The home page for the designer is http://www.iconian.com/. There's a contact link in the upper left hand corner of the page.

14/02/2013 à 23:13  [réponse]  Font File

The embedding setting for the font are "Only printing or previewing of the font is allowed (read only)". These settings can be changed by the font designer, or by someone who has a font editor. In either case, a new version of the font would have to be generated to use it for other purposes.

14/02/2013 à 20:10  [post initial]  Ethics of Similarity

What's you're opinion, morally, ethically, and/or legally about modifying a font like this:

Example 1: BlackJackRegular by TYPADELIC, (free):

and the same text contracted horizontally by 20%:

Example 2: LHF Sarah Script by Charles Borges de Oliveira, (commercial):

and the same text contracted horizontally by 40%:

Example 3: Microsoft system font Broadway:

and the 60% condensed version:

These were made quickly by copy/pasting text from MS Word to MS Paint, so parts of some letters are missing because they can't be selected in this manner.

So, suppose someone wanted to make a new font based on the character set of an existing font, significantly altered, but in a uniform way through an automated method.

There's no question that the basic design of the letters is identical, but the rendering of them is completely different. The weight might be changed significantly, (or not, the 'source' images could me modified further, to restore the original weight). All of the angles are different, but the connection points between letters are still the same, because the vertical alignment isn't changed. If we apply standard criteria for judging similarity, (location and number of vector nodes), these would be completely different. At the same time, however, the design is clearly recognizable as the intellectual property of someone else.

There are thousands of fonts that are more closely related to Helvetica, and who knows how many only a grunge filter removed from a system font.

Maybe this is something that would fall under the 'fair use' legal provision, if it is offered as a free font? Would it be different if glyphs from a commercial font were used? How different would the text have to be before it becomes a mutant, rather than a clone?

I've been working on a condensed version of a public domain typeface, which brought this situation to mind. It could be a good learning experience to modify an existing script before attempting an original one.

This is assuming that consent from the original designer has been neither sought nor received. It would be good etiquette to ask, but is it even needed?

Opinions?

14/02/2013 à 01:53  [réponse]  Help Please!

Thanks, rocamaco, that's exactly what I needed!

14/02/2013 à 00:25  [post initial]  Help Please!

I would like to have .png images of the numbers from Shadowed Serif by James Fordyce, http://www.dafont.com/shadowed-serif.font at 198 point size, (275% of 72 points), or a point size close to that. I want to redraw them for a new font I'm working on. I don't have a graphics program that can save font glyphs as images at larger than 48 points. Can someone help me with this? All ten digits in one large image would be OK, if that's easier.

Thanks!

~bito

LooneyTunerIan a dit  
You know, you're all just a bunch of donkey buttcracks. (And you know what another word for that is, but I'm not gonna say it.)

That's earned you a ten day ban.

13/02/2013 à 00:17  [réponse]  Which X do you like best?

Menhir a dit  
For me, it's the 1. Question of feeling. I prefere to have the same right limits for top and bottom with the serifs aligned at right.

The serifs in this design aren't meant to be aligned vertically on the right, nor the left. The ones on the bottom are supposed to be slightly wider than the ones on top.

My impression was that, in the third X, I may have made the upper left and right too small.

Here's a new graphic, with a fourth option, appended to the end:

It's very easy for me to make this kind of change. At this point, I like #4 best.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

~bito

daaams a dit  
sorry metaphasebrothel, i totally screwed your posts wile editing it to copy tthe BB Code. I replied in your field, and saved it.
I succeded to rollback my modifications, but it was a pain

There is NO reason why you should have needed to modify my post in the first place.

The list of questions is in the second half of the post. You could have selected that portion of my text, copied it, and pasted it into a reply window, before adding your answers.

If you wanted to keep the questions in Bold, you could have quoted me, (which would open a reply window), then selected and deleted the top half of my post, (along with the html quote tags), before adding your answers.

Either one of these tasks can be completed quickly and easily.

I don't understand why you would have chosen a different procedure that involved changing the text in my post. No wonder it didn't work.

Édité 2 fois. Dernière édition le 13/02/2013 à 09:07 par drf_

If you have designed fonts hosted on Dafont, please copy/ paste the interview questions to a new window, and tell us about you:

How long have you been making fonts?

About 5½ years, since summer, 2007.

How long did you collect fonts before you made your first one?

About three years.

Do you do any other art/ graphic design, in addition to fonts?

No, not unless you count my source graphics for the fonts.

What fonts or designers inspired you most to start making fonts?

Unca Pale by PaleAle, Mysterious Voyage by Paul Lloyd, Lost World by Shrine of Isis, Manfred Klein.

What is your personal favorite, from among the fonts you've made?

BeautyMarks and KleinKarpets.

Who were your favorite designers before you made your first font?

David Kohne, Paul Lloyd, Dieter Steffmann

Who are your favorite designers on Dafont?

Pablo Impallari, Måns Grebäck, Jellyka Nerevan, Larry Yerkes/ Vigilante Typeface Corporation

What are some of your favorite fonts on Dafont?

Powerview, Darrian's Sexy Silhouettes, Amazigh Motifs

What are your favorite commercial designers/ foundries?

Alejandro Paul, Michael Hagemann/ Font Mesa, Rob Leuschke.

↵ What Themes of fonts interests you most?

Fancy Script, Dingbats.

Do you design all/some/none of your alphabets and/or dingbats?

I always redraw artwork or photos made by other people.

What parts of the font making process do you enjoy the most?

Drawing the source graphics, and recently, removing nodes in the font editor.

What parts of the process do you enjoy the least?

Determining the spacing between letters. Determining ascenders/ descenders.

What font themes would you like to see more of at Dafont?

Fancy scripts, dingbat heads of famous people.

What themes would you like to see less often?

Typewriter fonts, hand printing, and poorly connected cursive scripts.

What fonts do you use most often in your personal documents/ text?

Bookman Old Style Bold.

What software do you use to make your fonts?

MS Paint and ScanFont 3

How long does it take you to make a font?

Usually about 5-7 weeks.

What is your font making procedure?

I do image searches on multiple search engines and sites like Flickr to find source material. I resize/ and or crop the images I want to use, so they have a uniform height. I draw on top of the downloaded image in two colours, composed for black and white. I import the finished graphics into my font editor, and smooth the outlines.

Why do you make fonts?

To give back to the design community for having downloaded other people's fonts. As an outlet for creative urges. As a time consuming hobby that doesn't cost anything to do. To impress women at parties and in chat rooms.

What interesting type designs are you working on now?

King's Ransom, a ransom note font made of decorative letters from diverse sources:

What would you like to add?

People here should write more comments.

How long have you been making fonts?

How long did you collect fonts before you made your first one?

Do you do any other art/ graphic design, in addition to fonts?

What font or designer inspired you most to start making fonts?

What is your personal favorite, from among the fonts you've made?

Who were your favorite designers before you made your first font?

What are some of your favorite fonts and designers on Dafont?

What are your favorite commercial designers/ foundries?

What Themes of fonts interests you most?

Do you design all/some/none of your alphabets and/or dingbats?

What parts of the font making process do you enjoy the most?

What parts of the process do you enjoy the least?

What font themes would you like to see more of at Dafont?

What themes would you like to see less often?

What fonts do you use most often in your personal documents/ text?

What software do you use to make your fonts?

How long does it take you to make a font?

What is your font making procedure?

Why do you make fonts?

What interesting type designs are you working on now?

What would you like to add?

Édité 7 fois. Dernière édition le 12/02/2013 à 10:11 par marty666

11/02/2013 à 23:16  [post initial]  Which X do you like best?

I'm currently working on a Condensed weight of my font Outstanding.

I draw my font glyphs in bitmap, then edit the imported graphics. I made the source graphics for the condensed weight by shrinking the Regular weight horizontally to 80%, without changing the height. I then clean up the images in my font editor, (ScanFont 3).

Here is the X from the Regular weight, in Capitals and lower case small caps, and the equivalent glyph in caps for the Condensed weight:

The small caps X in the Regular weight is unmodified, other than to have the shadows removed.

So, I'm wondering what looks best from among my options for the small caps X in the Condensed weight. Because this weight has been artificially created with stretch/skew, it doesn't have to be faithful to an original design.

Here are my choices:

The first one is the same as the Capital, less the shadow.

In the second one, the serifs at lower left and upper right have been shortened.

In the third one, the serifs at upper left and lower right have been shortened, and the serif at upper right has been shortened further.

Which X do you like best, for the Condensed small caps?

Thanks,

~bobistheowl

zerodeluxe a dit  
Just found the email from John regarding Slice/MK Stencil:

"Ben,

I've been able to look into the matter, and the sad truth is that Manfred Klein was passing off one of Kate's fonts as his own. Like you said, it's not up on his site anymore, only third part font sites, so she is looking into getting that fixed.

I was provided the original hand drawn sketches of the fonts by Kate, and it looks like Sketch Rockwell is another ripoff. We are working to help resolve that issue as well.

Thanks to you, we will hopefully get the fonts credited properly and take down any copycats.

Thanks,
John Shaver"

Trouble is now, is he in on it...? And can we trust the other deals they have?

He lied to you, Ben. MK Stencil is still part of the Manfred Klein 2003 Archive at TypOasis,(http://www.moorstation.org/typoasis/typoasis1.htm) which is still, for the most part, his home site, (his last releases were on his post 2007 home page, http://manfred-klein.ina-mar.com/

This is the page link: http://www.moorstation.org/typoasis/designers/klein03/deco/mkstencilsans.htm

11/02/2013 à 07:53  [réponse]  Sex.

It looks like Lobster, with an ex ligature.

Police identifiée : Lobster

Fuseau horaire : CEST. Il est actuellement 03:23

Données personnelles  -  Contact