Pub de gadotak

Forum

34 posts

unable to unzip a folder--spent 3 days now and nothing works

29/02/2012 à 01:16

I am trying to download a font. I get it downloaded onto the desktop. When I go to click on it--my system crashes and opens up IE multiple times. Where is the tff file your instructions keep saying to open? Have no clue! Am trying to download the african font. HELP!

29/02/2012 à 09:22

If we're talking about this font, the .ttf file is the only one in the .zip file, so it shouldn't be hard to install...

As stated here, extract the archive, then right-click on the .ttf file and choose "install".

06/03/2012 à 05:51

I know what the instructions say. They did not work. I tried it several more times, and my computer goes crazy. I click on the 'download' for the font. It shows up in the download folder. It also shows up by itself on the hard drive. I right click on it and up comes a .dll file. One of the times I tried it, I got a .tff. but when I clicked on it, I was in an endless loop--it took me back to the listing in the start button click in IE. It just will not work!! As I have said, I need to TALK TO SOMEONE by phone, but dafont.com, like millions of other websites, has no real customer service. So I am dead in the water. I have searched and searched on this problem--and there is no help whatsoever. IN short--their instructions are just not working for me.

06/03/2012 à 09:35

Well. Let's summarize. First, you download the file by clicking on the "Download" button.

It shows up in the download folder. It also shows up by itself on the hard drive.

Sorry, this doesn't mean anything. You have downloaded ONE file, not several. So you should have it at ONE place, not several.

I right click on it and up comes a .dll file.

This doesn't mean anything either. Files just don't transform themselves when you simply "click" on them. What you have downloaded IS a .zip file, which means you have to unzip it to extract the files that are inside. If when you right click in the .zip file, you can't seem to choose "extract" or "unzip", I advise you to download an archive management software like 7-Zip. Then, when you have successfully extracted the font file - which comes in .ttf file in your case - you just have to right click - not CLICK, but RIGHT CLICK, as stated in the help section - and choose "Install". If you just double click on the font file, it will open a preview of the font in Windows which MIGHT result in an endless crashing loop if the font file is too "big" or you computer too slow.

If the downloading-unzipping-installing process doesn't work, my guess is this would be a classic case of PEBKAC...

06/03/2012 à 10:11

mthole505 a dit  
I know what the instructions say. They did not work. I tried it several more times, and my computer goes crazy. I click on the 'download' for the font. It shows up in the download folder. It also shows up by itself on the hard drive. I right click on it and up comes a .dll file. One of the times I tried it, I got a .tff. but when I clicked on it, I was in an endless loop--it took me back to the listing in the start button click in IE. It just will not work!! As I have said, I need to TALK TO SOMEONE by phone, but dafont.com, like millions of other websites, has no real customer service. So I am dead in the water. I have searched and searched on this problem--and there is no help whatsoever. IN short--their instructions are just not working for me.

Édité le 06/03/2012 à 10:13 par marty666

21/03/2012 à 03:37

What computer & operating system are you using? Mac or Windows? And does it happen with other fonts?

21/03/2012 à 20:39

WinZip would be better & easier for unzipping zip files (which came pre-installed on Windows XP)
Is it just this font: http://www.dafont.com/african.font , or does it happen with other fonts?
I downloaded the file & my computer didn't do that. Try downloading an antivirus program (I would recommend Avast!). Restart your computer & log back in. It might fix the crash problem. If not, contact DaFont (I think the only way to contact them is by email) & tell them about this.

21/03/2012 à 23:23

I have emailed Dafont several times. Their customer service is basically nonexistent. At this point, I need to TALK to someone on the phone. If someone wants to give me their phone number, I will be glad to call. I have done everything everyone has suggested. I use Kaspersky antivirus. I have gone off, logged back in, etc., etc. Unless someone wants to call me to help me with this, I am dead in the water and will give up. My OS is Vista Home Premium. Yes, the problem happens with any font that is zipped.

21/03/2012 à 23:37

Is it a desktop or laptop? Sorry if none of that worked. I'm afraid the only things you can do are:
-get fonts from another site
-format your hard drive (buy an external hard drive that's big enough to fit all of your stuff on it)
-take your computer to a shop & get it fixed (which is very expensive)
-buy a new computer (which you might end up wasting your money on)

22/03/2012 à 09:15

@mthole505 : You haven't even been reading my answer where I give you the guidelines to install a font properly. If you don't have the patience to READ the answers we give you, I can't help you.

Always remember that 99% of the problems are between the keyboard and the chair...

22/03/2012 à 10:37

drf_ a dit  
@mthole505 : ... Always remember that 99% of the problems are between the keyboard and the chair...

22/03/2012 à 10:43

Koeiekat, this is just crazy, you know, you take time to read the question, and the time to write an accurate answer to solve the problem, and the person doesn't even take time to read it or try to understand it, just keeps on complaining and crying... This is... I can't understand that.

Édité le 22/03/2012 à 10:45 par drf_

22/03/2012 à 11:16

Many minds are stones of great smoothness which are demonstrably capable of infinite rolling without once gathering a lick of moss.

22/03/2012 à 11:19

Amen to that

31/03/2012 à 03:19

Get the fonts from another site (if they have any you want).

31/03/2012 à 09:33

Seriously, jackassgirl4ever, there's nothing wrong with the fonts on this site. Wasn't Facebook and Twitter invented for bored teenagers like you ? Why do you have to come over there to show your amazing personality to the world ?

01/04/2012 à 21:58

drf_ a dit  
Seriously, jackassgirl4ever, there's nothing wrong with the fonts on this site. Wasn't Facebook and Twitter invented for bored teenagers like you ? Why do you have to come over there to show your amazing personality to the world ?

He's just gonna have to use whatever fonts he has installed on his computer.

03/04/2012 à 06:38

@mthole505: You're gonna have to use whatever fonts you have installed. After double-clicking any zipped font, MY computer is fine. Looks like this is a VERY uncommon problem. You're gonna have to call a technician to fix your computer (which is expensive). The problem might've stopped.

03/04/2012 à 07:18

Thank you to those who were not rude or hostile in their comments, but trying to be helpful. I am a senior citizen (as in, on Medicare), and my knowledge may not be up to par with someone much younger. However, I can assure you, that back in my day, if I had talked to someone like that, the punishment would have been swift, hard, and long. But today, rude people hide behind a computer screen name, with no regard for fellow human beings. I sure hope you don't treat or talk to your elders the way you have verbally abused me. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves--those who are guilty. The lack of respect in this country has totally gotten out of control. Oh, I have all the patience and time in the world to read the responses (responding to one of you who accused me of not reading and understanding)--I am retired, and made good use of five college degrees along the way!

I have been without my computer, hence, no comment on this site from me in several days. I took my laptop in to the place I have always taken it, and learned my system was very infected (I am using a borrowed computer at the moment), to the point it was hijacking parts of Word documents and inserting them into Excel spreadsheets. The computer is, for all intents and purposes, dead in the water. (After all, it was 6 yrs old.) Various programs were found in unusual places on the computer, among other problems, along with important software components missing. And no, that is not something I did myself! When I said I followed the directions several of you provided, I meant what I said. But my system was so screwed up, that I am now having to buy a new laptop (but must take some time to research what I want to get on a retiree's fixed income).

Again, thank you to those of you who tried to help.

03/04/2012 à 09:32

You gotta be kidding me. What does it have to do with your age ? Who has been rude ? Read the first answers again, I have told you the EXACT way to install fonts on your computer, something we usually NEVER do because installing fonts is so easy, it just takes two clicks. So people took their fucking free time to read your question, and answer correctly, period. In the end, the problem came from your computer : Ergo, everything here is clean and works fine. Ergo, classic case of PEBKAC as you didn't even realize your computer was so screwed up it didn't work well anymore. But then, going on an internet forum crying for help without describing the problem accurately is much easier than facing reality.

Think we're hiding behind screens ? So why, oh why, when you click on my damn nickname, you can see all my private information available to everyone ? That's it, first name, family name, where I live, my website, etc. Talk about lack of respect ? So who didn't use basic good manners such as "Hello", "Please" or even "Thank you" in the first place ? Oh, yeah, right, crying and complaining without making the effort to make things better is something you people are good at.

Fuseau horaire : CET. Il est actuellement 11:24

Données personnelles  -  Contact