Ad by Hypefonts

Forum

48 posts

Outline/Filled Font Creation Help please

Sep 09, 2012 at 14:48

Hello everyone, hope this finds you well. This is my first post, im here to ask for your help. I have created a font using the following process....

1: Initial design in Photoshop to carve out the basic structure of the letters.

2: Opened each letter individually in ScanFont and saved them as a vfb file.

3: Imported each vfb letter file individually into FontLab and placed them in the corresponding field.

4: Generated font and exported as TrueType font file. All good so far!

However, upon testing the font in Photoshop its become apparent that the font is just a black outline and the interiors of the font (Which i was hoping to be white) were absent.

The font im working on is structurally similar to this example - http://www.dafont.com/wide-awake.font - Black outline, white fill is what im trying to achieve.

I have searched high and low and cant figure out what im doing wrong. Would any of you good people be kind enough to guide a budding typographer please?

I'm looking forward to getting it finished and submitting my first ever font to Dafont.

Many thanks in advance.

Ikos

Sep 09, 2012 at 15:16

Hello Ikos, I'm not sure I completely understand the part where you say : "the interiors of the font (Which i was hoping to be white) were absent."

Could you make a screenshot of the glyph window in Fontlab of one character that has the problem you're trying to describe ? It will be easier to understand (At least for me, maybe someone else might understand this better )

Thanks.

Edited on Sep 09, 2012 at 15:18 by drf_

Sep 09, 2012 at 16:14

Hello, thanks for the reply.

Here's what i currently have....

Here's what im trying to achieve....

So what im looking to do is simply fill the black outline with a white interior.

Sep 09, 2012 at 16:17

May be : reverse contours

Edited on Sep 09, 2012 at 16:18 by claudeserieux

Sep 09, 2012 at 16:28

Screenshot of the glyph window in Fontlab

Sep 09, 2012 at 16:30

Hey Claude, thank you for the idea. I just tried it but it seems to have just filled the gaps in black

Close but no cigar. Thank you though.

Sep 09, 2012 at 16:30

claudeserieux said  
Screenshot of the glyph window in Fontlab

Ok will do.

Sep 09, 2012 at 16:33

Not sure this will give you any more information than you all ready have but as requested....

Sep 09, 2012 at 17:00

Select the contour and make 'parellel contour'.

Sep 09, 2012 at 17:02

Hum, if I understand well, you want to automatically fill letters with white while the contour is black ? As far as I know, that's not possible...

Sep 09, 2012 at 17:12

claudeserieux said  
Select the contour and make 'parellel contour'.

Now i just have....

If we can make that central fill white we have a winner. Thanks for your continued help.

Sep 09, 2012 at 17:13

drf_ said  
Hum, if I understand well, you want to automatically fill letters with white while the contour is black ? As far as I know, that's not possible...

Thank you for giving it some thought. I have many fonts with a black outline and a white fill so i feel it must be possible.

The search continues. Many thanks again.

Sep 09, 2012 at 17:15

Black outline and white fill ? I'm curious if that's possible - of course it could be a lack of knowledge on my side.

Sep 09, 2012 at 17:26

Forgive me if im mistaken, maybe its just not possible and im a little confused. My apologies if that's the case.

I'm just looking at some other fonts in Photoshop and trying them on a black background and they are indeed as you suggest just black without a white fill.

Maybe its just my misconceptions about what is possible

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Sep 09, 2012 at 17:27 by Ikos

Sep 09, 2012 at 17:29

I guess what i need to do is create another set using only the central sections and then type in white and apply a black stroke.

Sep 09, 2012 at 17:56

White fill or no fill, that is you see the background color?

Sep 09, 2012 at 18:20

Not possible. Period.
the only solution if you plan to use only fonts without any PS later effect : 2files for one font. One with outline, the other with the fill.

Edited on Sep 09, 2012 at 18:23 by marty666

Sep 09, 2012 at 18:24

Sep 09, 2012 at 19:27

Not possible? Yes it is. But the font is hardly usable. You would have to make a font where for example a lowercase character overlaps the same uppercase character. Why is it impractical? To get the desired effect one must first type the uppercase character in the desired color, then change the color for the following lowercase character which is the outline. And so on. Maybe fun for one short word but useless in real life imho.

Sep 10, 2012 at 09:06

By not possible i was talking about adding white (or whatever color) in a font
Yeay, of course it can be done in one file, but it's impractical. The solution I provided is, I guess, the most practical to achieve the desired effect

All times are CEST. The time is now 17:21

Privacy Policy  -  Contact