Forum

7 posts

can't find a way to make bmp images into a bitmap font?

Jul 08, 2012 at 01:12

all right, here's the situation:
I've got a friend who's got a pixel font in a nice grid. I have Photoshop already and can turn this to bmp and separate the characters if necessary, etc. I want to make this into a simple bitmap font. I don't need vectors or anything, I just need to be able to use the font at the single resolution it is on the grid.

I have done a lot of research on how to do this and on fonts in general, tried a lot of programs (I have FontForge w/autotrace installed and can navigate/use it well enough), figured out FontCreator might be able to but can't actually buy it... there seems to be no way I can find on Google that will simply convert the images to the font.
I'm completely willing to work for a few hours if it gets me the font out of it, but I'd really rather not repixel the entire font in FontStruct or something.

this thread I found with searching ( http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/50457/bitmap-image-to-truetype-font ) seems to have the same problem, but I didn't see a solution that I could make use of.

the question boils down to this -- is there a way to convert, either at once or letter by letter, a BMP image(s) into a usable bitmap/pixel font?

thanks in advance for your help!

Jul 08, 2012 at 11:38

The only way to convert a bitmap to a font is by using a font editor. Or one that has a build-in tracer to convert the bitmap to vectors, or by using a bitmap to vector converter and using those vectors as input for a font editor that does not have a build-in converter.
For what you want Font Creator is probably the most suitable solution but FontForge can do the job as well.

May 24, 2013 at 11:07

bitmap to vector converter .net can work well in this transition. it is a little bit harder for you to convert images to font.in the end, you will find a way.

Edited 3 times. Last edit on May 24, 2013 at 11:47 by beimage

May 25, 2013 at 00:32

Have you tried using raster font editor?

May 25, 2013 at 00:41

koeiekat said  (view post)
The only way to convert a bitmap to a font is by using a font editor. Or one that has a build-in tracer to convert the bitmap to vectors, or by using a bitmap to vector converter and using those vectors as input for a font editor that does not have a build-in converter.
For what you want Font Creator is probably the most suitable solution but FontForge can do the job as well.

True Koeikat, for me is same choice " Fontcreator " but i need a Big size 2000/2000px for lot Détails.

May 25, 2013 at 01:06

What sort/type of details? 2000 x 2000 is nothing special. In the end you can always scale down without loosing detail ... or do I totally misunderstand you

May 25, 2013 at 01:23

I lose many points in 200/200 not in 2000/2000 but it's my personal transcription.
Details : "HeleneQueen K" many details...so 2000 is better.

Edited on May 25, 2013 at 10:08 by Maelle.K

All times are CEST. The time is now 19:28

Ad by meaganhearne
Privacy Policy  -  Contact