Pubblicità di didjadid

Forum

Posts di metaphasebrothel

Turn the Paragraph Markers OFF in Microsoft Word.

Twiddle, I would recommend that you send a private message to the author, Brittney Murphy Design, and let her know about this. I wouldn't assume that she would read the General Discussion Forum. Be sure to mention that you are using Mac OS X.

This sort of problem usually affects MAC users, and it relates to problems with the font's vertical metrics, specifically, the ascender and descender values. In simple terms, the descender is the portion of a glyph that's below the base line, and the ascender is the portion above a flat topped glyph, (like the area where the accent on an accented character would be, (ascender), or the tail on the letter Q, (descender). It's quite possible she may be completely unaware that MAC users do not have the same text display in MS Word as one would with a PC.

If you have access to a Windows computer, you may get better results. We've noticed this same problem with some of the Måns Grebäck fonts, as well, (at least in the Free for Personal Use versions).

Here's a text sample of Simply*Glamorous at 34 points, using MS Word 2007 and Windows XP:

which looks fine to me.

You should also note that you may have restrictions if you are trying to print this font, at least, unless you purchase a commercial use license. The embedding settings are set as "Only printing and previewing of the document is allowed, (read only)". This may be intentional on Brittney's part, (ie: the Free for Personal Use version may be a 'try before you buy' advertisement for the 'pay' version), or that might just be the default embedding setting for the font editor she uses.

So, the problem is not with MS Word. There appears to be an error in the vertical metrics that affects MAC users, but not those using Windows. I'll bet she would be happy if you were to bring this to her attention, She does good work, but may not have read all the pages of her font editor's manual.

~bobistheowl

07/10/2014 alle 13:38  [risposta]  FontCreator 8.0

mikkwik ha detto  
Is in the trial version all options are available?

Yes for some of the older trial versions, no for the currently available one.

matthewfranklin ha detto  
~Downloaded fonts cant see texture?

Kindof hard to explain but for example:

i downloaded some 3d lookin shit - but anything that has a greyscale to it just shows up black

HELLLPPP

They aren't fonts; they're emoticons.

Jaynz ha detto  
Meta, I was only trying to explain the point of 'commercial use' not necessarily meaning 'cash exchanged'. A lot of people don't understand that distinction - and it CAN bite some people on the ass if they cross the line with a particularly nasty resource creator. Generally speaking, I wouldn't care about such use - but I admit when I see my fonts used HEAVILY for similar purposes on sites where guys sell pictures... I get a little irked.

Oh, I wasn't replying to your post, Neale. melonpan said he writes a 'fun blog' and doesn't sell anything. We don't even know which font(s) he'd like to use. I just think it would be crass for anyone to consider that to be commercial use of a FFPU font.

~bobistheowl

Geez, where I come from, only a pet aQ would charge money for a watermark on a blog photo.

Modificato su 02/10/2014 alle 19:18 da metaphasebrothel

Menhir ha detto  
I just tried to make a joke.

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'".

28/09/2014 alle 20:07  [risposta]  Nick Fury's font

koeiekat ha detto  

It is the 4 and looks like this. Not exactly a match

The original cover of Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D #4, (September 1968 issue):

had the bullet holes in the logo, but apparently, they were removed from at least one reprinting. I can tell that this cover was used for the image in post #1, because the Statue of Liberty's torch covers part of the logo. I actually have all but one of the Strange Tales/ Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D issues drawn by Jim Steranko, but most would only be graded in the G-VG range, so the lot of them is probably only worth about a hundred bucks.

28/09/2014 alle 11:06  [risposta]  Nick Fury's font

The Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D logo is custom lettering by Artie Simek. If it was a font, the error at upper left on the S would have been corrected, before release.

I think there's a dingbat glyph of the logo in Knock Furious, by Daniel Zadorozny. It's not available on DaFont, but you can find it on his home page, http://iconian.com

Branislav ha detto  
... I saw contact E-mail after I created this topic and sent my message to that e-mail with link to this topic. Still no any answer...

Even if you sent the e-mail immediately after your first post in this thread, that's only about nine hours ago. The designer lives in India. He probably doesn't check his e-mails in the middle of the night. He might not even check them during the weekend, if it's a business account. You need to be a lot more patient.

Ummm, why did you send a private message, instead of following the font author's instruction to send commercial use inquiries to the e-mail address shown in the Note of the Author? It's not like you need a degree in rocket surgery. Just sayin'.

HeidiC ha detto  
Well, I wish I could say what worked, but I'm not really sure. I tried to right-click the download button, but I didn't get "Save Target As..." I just got "Save As..." That got me the "seems to be an invalid font" error message. I went back to try again, but just hovering over the download button, it gave me a new message of "47KB" and I thought, hey, that's new! So, I clicked and it downloaded. Still couldn't get it to extract properly, so I searched the forums for "invalid font" and found the suggestion to save it to a random folder on my machine, then copy it to my fonts folder. THAT WORKED! I hope it keeps working! Thanks, metaphasebbrothel.

HeidiC, there's nothing suspicious about the "47KB" message in a yellow screen tip box. Yhat just means that the file size of the .zip file is 47 kilobytes.

I think 'Save Target As...' is the specific wording for Internet Explorer. In Firefox, the equivalent selection in the shortcuts menu would be 'Save Link As...'. The description should be similar when using Chrome, or another different browser. This method should open the Save As dialog box. If you just left-click on the Download button, (when it's working properly, for you). most likely, your downloads of all types would go into the same folder; for me, it's My Documents\Downloads, the default saving directory for Firefox.

The default saving location can be changed in Firefox by selecting Tools from the menu bar, and Options from the menu. In the Options dialog box, the saving location can be seen, set or modified under the General Tab. It's probably a similar procedure for Chrome. With Firefox, you might also want to select Downloads from Tools in the menu bar. This will open a separate non-browser window of Firefox, which will show you the status of your downloads, perhaps going back weeks or even months. If a download completed properly, you'll see the file name, type, size, site of origin, and the day/time the download completed. If the download failed, there will be a notation to that effect. If there's no record, (and assuming you didn't clear past results), you'll know the download connection was never made.

If you download anything from bit torrents, however, the torrent files themselves WILL appear in the Firefox downloads window, but completed files downloaded through the torrent will not; they'll only be listed in your torrent client.

HeidiC, try right-clicking on the Download button, and selecting 'Save Target As...' from the shortcuts menu, then save the download manually. This won't solve the problem of why left-clicking on the Download button isn't working, but it should allow you to download .zip files from DaFont.

If this does work, please post the result, and other people who are having the same problem can do the same. If it doesn't work, post that information as well - it will help in diagnosing the cause of your problem, especially because it doesn't originate at DaFont.

24/09/2014 alle 15:38  [risposta]  Decent design software

I don't think he needs more than Word and Paint. Not for a Geronimo Fonts font.

24/09/2014 alle 04:06  [risposta]  Decent design software

If the font has already been made, and the object is to display some sample text in a graphic, what I would do is:

a) install the font,
b) type the text in MS Word at a point size 133% larger than the size at which I would like it to appear in the graphic,
c) copy the text,
d) paste it into a blank MS Paint document, and
e) save as .png.

The copy/paste from Word to Paint reduces the text size to 75%, which is why the size in Word should be 4/3 larger than the intended size of the graphic.

Modificato su 24/09/2014 alle 04:09 da metaphasebrothel

It's Clementine Sketch, and it's free.

Carattere Identificato: Clementine Sketch

17/09/2014 alle 05:49  [risposta]  Colleged Font Ampersand

I made a screen capture of the link you gave us, and added a purple arrow, to point at the ampersand:

Can you see it now?

I had no trouble displaying the glyph in MS Word and Notepad.

There's nothing wrong with the ampersand in Colleged, other than the fact that it's kind of ugly looking.

15/09/2014 alle 16:55  [risposta]  Fonts not 'installing'

drf ha detto  
fwillis0928 ha detto  
Did you respond to everyone else in this forum like that??

The "funniest" thing is that he doesn't only do this here. Just google "koeiekat" for hours of fun (and potential ulcer) about how smart and superior he is, and how the rest of us sucks. It is sad to see it didn't change in almost 10 years...

It's a pity that he is unable to apply that knowledge towards making fonts that are visually appealing.

15/09/2014 alle 06:23  [risposta]  CAN'T DOWNLOAD FONT

When one person is having problems opening a .zip file, but other people are not, the problem is usually with the extraction program, not with the .zip file. See my April 22, 2010 post, (#4 above), I had the same version of Winrar installed for several years. It failed to open some, but not all .zip files downloaded from DaFont. When I installed a newer version of Winrar, I was able to open the .zip files that wouldn't open properly with the old version of Winrar.

@ dkirk6: Click the FAQ link near the top of this Window. Then click the topic for How to install a font under Windows?. Then read the instructions for Windows 8/7/Vista. If that doesn't work, you probably didn't extract the fonts from the .zip file before trying to install them.

15/09/2014 alle 06:09  [risposta]  Fonts not 'installing'

fwillis0928 ha detto  
...Did you respond to everyone else in this forum like that??...

Actually, yes, he does.

fwillis0928, if you bought a pickle at a barber shop, you could reach in the barrel, grab a pickle, and bite. If you bought a jar of pickles in a grocery store, you would need to open the lid, before you could eat one. If you were going to travel to another place by airplane, you may wish to carry only one suitcase. To put as many things as possible in the suitcase, you might sit on it, before closing the latches.

A .zip file is packaging. It allows more than one file to be packaged together into one download, and also decreases the size of the contents, thus allowing for a faster download for you, and decreasing the amount of upload bandwidth used by DaFont, and the amount of download bandwidth used by yourself.

All downloads from DaFont are contained in .zip files. You need to open the .zip files to get the fonts out. You then need to install the fonts on your computer, to be able to use them. How the fonts are extracted from the .zip file, and how they are installed on your computer, depends on what kind of computer you're using, and the operating system installed on that computer.

The information displayed in your post says that you have a MAC computer, with OS X operating system. According to the instructions in FAQ, ("Frequently Asked Questions"; click on the FAQ link near the top of every page on DaFont, then click on the topic question, to move to the appropriate section of the answers):

"How to install a font under Mac OS?"

Mac OS X recognizes TrueType and OpenType fonts (.ttf and .otf) but not the PC bitmap fonts (.fon).
Files are compressed, you may need an utility like Stuffit Expander.

Under any version of Mac OS X:
Put the files into /Library/Fonts (for all users),
or into /Users/Your_username/Library/Fonts (for you only).

Stuffit Expander is shown as a link. Click on those words, (in the FAQ section, not in my reply here!), to obtain more information.

You need to extract the fonts from the .zip files before putting the .ttf or .otf files in /Library/Fonts. Do not put a file folder, read me document, license document, or graphics files in /Library/Fonts. You may want to read or look at those files, but they are not to be installed.

If you are computer savvy enough to read, understand, and apply these instructions, you should have no problem using most of the fonts available on DaFont. This is what koeiekat suggested, in letters large enough to read on the smallest phone.

If you are unable to do so, ask someone else to read the instructions, and show you what to do. No one here can explain the procedure in simpler terms than as shown in the FAQ, and as quoted, four paragraphs up.

Fuso orario: CEST. Ora sono le 02:05

Privacy Policy  -  Contatti