Pubblicità di AycaAtalay

Forum

7 posts

Font is based on a Logo and they want money for it

24/05/2016 alle 05:15

sorry if this is confusing but i found a font where the person is asking for money for commercial use but the font's core design came from a logo from a major company. is this legal?

26/05/2016 alle 01:08

Perfectly so. In fact, some of the fonts I've made based on Hasbro's logos are now officially used by Hasbro... You can't copy the logo, but you can re-create its look from scratch just fine.

26/05/2016 alle 04:26

Jaynz ha detto  
Perfectly so. In fact, some of the fonts I've made based on Hasbro's logos are now officially used by Hasbro... You can't copy the logo, but you can re-create its look from scratch just fine.

well just figured i asked cause i was going to use it for my youtube banner but since its totally legal and i have to pay to use it... i'll just either switch the font or find someone on the Game's fansite to do it for free (since this is the only font from the game that is not free)

26/05/2016 alle 13:28

Or you could man up a little bit for your YouTube banner and spend a few bucks? Seriously, is it THAT much of a crime for you to pay for someone else's work?

31/05/2016 alle 00:45

Jaynz ha detto  
Or you could man up a little bit for your YouTube banner and spend a few bucks? Seriously, is it THAT much of a crime for you to pay for someone else's work?

nah, dont wanna support plagiarism

31/05/2016 alle 17:40

Honestly, to me you just sound like you don't want to pay for someone else's work. After all, you're not trying to find an 'official outlet', but just want something for free and are TRYING to play the moral highground in doing so. You're perfectly fine stealing the logo for yourself, but not at the expense of paying someone for their work.

I've got no sympathy, and that horse of yours aren't nearly as high as you think it is.

31/05/2016 alle 22:17

Typically (though laws differ dramatically internationally) typeface designs cannot be copyrighted, but fonts are considered "Software" so they can be. You have to read the EULA (End-User License Agreement) for any font you want to use commercially—many free fonts are only free for personal use.

But I think the question is asking the opposite: not a logo based on a font, but a font based on a logo. This depends. The Coca-Cola logo is a good example of something you cant copy commercially, because the custom type (which was hand-lettered) IS the brand and the logotype at the same time. Yes there are rip-offs (I think there are some here on DaFont) of the Coke-style script, but one could get sued for copyright infringement and brand-dilution if used commercially. Many companies choose to use custom typefaces not otherwise for sale in order to set themselves apart. Marlboro cigarettes typeface is an example. At some point it was digitised as a font for internal use and marketing, but you won't find it for sale at any retailer.

In either scenario (creating a logo based on a font or a font based on a logo) regardless of the laws in your country, it is perfectly legal to make "derivative" works as long as they do not originate from altering the digital font of another foundry or designer, but you can print out the glyphs and trace them, scan them in and make a font. Every font has a unique digital fingerprint because it's code is a mathematical representation of its vector outlines. Even if two fonts look absolutely identical and indistinguishable to the human eye, any computer can tell the difference so you'll be safe from legal repercussions.

Fuso orario: CET. Ora sono le 12:31

Privacy Policy  -  Contatti