Pub de tioem

Forum

11 posts

Aquiline Two not working in Publisher 2007

28/05/2010 à 03:39

I'm on Vista with Office 2007 and Aquiline Two works just fine in Word 07 but won't show up at all in Pub 07. Figures that what I need it for is best done in Publisher. I've tried restarting OS and Publisher, uninstall/reinstall the font, checking the properties for anything odd, and I can't figure it out. Aquiline works but doesn't look nearly as good as Two for what I want to do with it. Thoughts?

Also, when I'm in the Format Font window and pull up Aquiline Two, it will show the preview of the font but then in a plain text font underneath it in the preview window (where only the actual font itself should show) it shows another copy of the name underneath. Copying the text as it should be from Word into Publisher doesn't work either...I tried that first.

Édité le 28/05/2010 à 04:06 par broadwing

28/05/2010 à 05:59

I'm a Mac guy, but I think you need to save the font in you C Drive (or whatever your main drive is) in the FONTS folder there. If you did that and it's still not working... well, I'd be clueless.

28/05/2010 à 06:08

Did that too...I've downloaded & installed lots of fonts from dafont.com (on different systems too) and this is the only problem I've ever had with any of them. I use Word and Publisher all the time and have never seen an issue like this where two apps from the same suite will see the same font differently. It works great in Word, but Word won't let me save it in the same formats at Publisher. PITA

28/05/2010 à 06:09

broadwing, try experimenting with the font smoothing:

My Computer ->right-click -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Performance: -> Settings -> enable or disable the box for 'smooth edges of screen fonts', and see if that helps. I checked the internal names in the font info with ScanFont, and everything seems to be OK. If that doesn't help, I'm out of ideas on this one.

~bito

28/05/2010 à 07:23

OMG, that was it! Thanks HUGELY; I'd been in that screen before but honestly have never needed that particular check box. I got the pub to look the way I wanted, then saved and went back and checked the smooth-fonts box again, and the font stuck just like it should have the first time. Weird, huh?

28/05/2010 à 18:35

broadwing, some of my fonts benefit from the font smoothing, and some don't. I learned that myself only recently. Glad it helped.

I haven't used Publisher before, but I would think that when you saved the document in Publisher, it sort of 'embedded' the font smoothing properties. The real test of that is to have someone else, who has different font smoothing properties, view your Publisher doc digitally, to see if it looks OK.

~bito

Édité le 28/05/2010 à 19:33 par metaphasebrothel

28/05/2010 à 21:20

Alas, it was short-lived. When I restarted Publisher with the font-smoothing off, it forgot all about what the font was supposed to look like and reverted to a blank page. But at least by that time I'd saved the thing I was working on as a pdf, so it's all good. I'll just have to remember to tweak that setting if I need A2 in Publisher. I *really* need better writing tools....

28/05/2010 à 23:42

broadwing, is there an embedding option in Publisher? I have the 2000 edition of that program, but I've never installed it. In MS Word 2000 and 2003, you can embed fonts, (one embedded font per document, in Word, anyway), from Menu Bar -> Tools -> Options -> Save tab -> Embed True Type fonts and Embed characters in use only. I have no idea how to do that in MS Word 2007, where Microsoft, in its' infinite stupidity, has eliminated the Menu Bar.

My newest font, FixCystNeon, includes an MS Word character guide in which the font has been embedded, so the character set can be seen without having to install the font first. I checked Aquiline Two's embedding settings in FontLab Studio5, and the 'everything is allowed' option is enabled, so it's not a problem with the font. Since Aquiline Two was made by Manfred Klein and Petra Heidorn, (CybaPee), you can be sure that there are no 'rookie mistakes' in the technical specs.

~bito

28/05/2010 à 23:57

There is an embedding option in Tools -> Commercial Printing Tools -> Fonts. It gives options for embedding TrueType fonts on Save, and allows you the option of saving them as a subset. I tried changing this setting and saving, then closing Pub and unchecking the font-smoothing option before opening again, but when I opened the original file after making that change, it told me that A2 was embedded, and yet it still didn't display. Tried it again with the subset option checked, and no dice there either.

There might be another option in there somewhere, but if so, I haven't found it yet. Grrr. Good idea, though. I'll keep looking, and am open to further suggestions.

24/11/2022 à 16:54

Having a similar problem. When I use it in LibreOffice I get this blue shadow of a capital A between each word and a capital C I think at the end of every line. But I do not get these in photoshop. I really hate having to make my titles in photoshop and paste them in, instead of just using the font directly, but it's the only workaround I've found.

25/11/2022 à 16:05

oh, never mind on mine. It just has this really weird paragraph and space marks when you have the 'view formatting marks' on. Good luck with the other problem. I don't use those programs, so I can't help there.

Fuseau horaire : CEST. Il est actuellement 17:31

Données personnelles  -  Contact