Ad by noahtype

Forum

3 posts

Posts by fruggle

Aug 03, 2011 at 19:38  [reply]  Number sizes in Scala Sans caps

Thanks both of you for your input. I think the solution is to get away from this all-caps style.

Aug 03, 2011 at 16:39  [reply]  Number sizes in Scala Sans caps

OK that makes sense. Thanks. In that case I have a design/aesthetics problem.

I really prefer the look of Scala Sans caps in lowercase for titles. I also feel that using title case in an all-caps font is unattractive (top example). Title case does work better with the numbers, but it seems so lumpy. Is there a consensus on using initial capitals in a Caps font?

The middle example, using all uppercase in a Caps face, loses much of the attractive proportions in lowercase Scala Sans.

I simply like the look of lowercase Scala Sans (bottom) except when there are numbers involved. I wonder if oldstyle numbers would look better. The problem then is that this is not an opentype font, so I'd have to buy a new version.

Aug 03, 2011 at 01:54  [initial post]  Number sizes in Scala Sans caps

This is surely a dumb question. I am part of a small academic research center and we have 2 house fonts. Scala Sans is one of them. The version we have of these fonts is pretty old and perhaps even faulty--it actually shows up as 2 fonts, ScalaSans and Scala Sans, which is a giant pain at times.

I've noticed that Scala Sans caps has comparatively large numbers. This strikes me as very odd. I'm not a typography expert so I'm not sure and thought I would ask here. Is this "normal"? Our house style has certain headlines in caps and this always jumps out at me as odd-looking:

Thanks for your feedback.

All times are CEST. The time is now 04:27

Privacy Policy  -  Contact