Ad by Ashran

Forum

40 posts

Look at each others fonts...

May 13, 2010 at 03:05

We should all look at each others fonts and tell each other how awesome we are. (or not awesome)

post in font comments or here. I'm bored.

May 13, 2010 at 10:09

when i find a font i like, i leave a comment.
but it's quite difficult to leave a comment just to say how you hate a font.

May 13, 2010 at 10:15

create a 2 categories thanks to the "my selections" tool : "i hate" & "i love", just make this selections public, and share

May 13, 2010 at 10:46

ha ha =)

May 13, 2010 at 22:51

i was thinking more like we just check out each others fonts. and have a discussion about it here.

May 15, 2010 at 12:08

kirksucks' fonts, (sorted by newest):

Quickrite: Not one of your better efforts. This looks like a first timer's font that you'd see at deviantArt, only thicker. You shouldn't waste your time doing fonts like this. Leave these for those who can't do any better yet.

Ghetto Marquee: This one I like alot. It has a lot of practical and artistic potential. Probably your best so far.

Tyro Sans: This would look better if the tops of the lower case m and n were thicker. This reminds me alot of a Manfred Klein font.

Hellafont: I think this one would look better if the line thicknesses were consistent. I don't have it installed, but I would think it would degrade significantly at smaller point sizes. You can do better.

Blog the Impaler: This one's really good. It looks like a good choice for an underground publication, or for a poster on a telephone pole. One of your top three.

My First F: This sort of tentative cursive has been done to death. Probably your weakest effort.

Brutal Tooth: This is a good logo font, not exceptional, but good. It would be difficult to read this font in larger bodies of text.

Apocalypse Fax: Grunge meets bitmap is an interesting combination. Some of the letters don't seem to fit with the others, though.

Negatron: I like this one. There are many original elements. I would have made the L differently, perhaps adding a small vertical line at the lower right of the rectangle, to define the leading edge of the bottom line.

Faucet: It's good, but I have seen similar fonts that are better. You're not breaking any new ground with this one.

kitten meat: I like this one, for the most part. I think you should touch up the lower case z, and a few other glyphs look a bit sloppy, but for the most part, it seems useful in context.

Decco Disco: One of your better ones. This is a good mix of disparate styles.

Oakland Hills 1991: This is a very visually interesting font, but it's also very hard to read. I don't know if it would look better in bold. In any event, I think it would look better if the lines had been a bit thicker.

Santa Carla: Another winner. The only knock on this one is the punctuation and supplemental characters that have been imported from some other font. I like the dingbat very much.

Take Out The Garbage: I'm indifferent about this one. You have made many more imaginitive fonts since.

Pee Pants Script: This one's really good, second only to Ghetto Marquee. The rendering of some of the lower case letters could have been a bit better, but you nailed all the difficult parts. I'm very impressed with the way the letters connect. I think if you were to redo this one, with the skills you have learned since you made it, it could be truly outstanding. You might want to ask Rodolphe about the download file, because I tried five times to download it, and all of the archives were corrupted.

Bowelliberalta: I like this one, especially the dingbat. The lack of space between letters makes this kind of claustrophobic. I don't know if that was intentional.

Koobz: This is well rendered. I think Harold Lohner did something very similar.

~bobistheowl

May 15, 2010 at 12:35

daaams' fonts (sorted by newest):

Rififi Serif: One of the better bitmap fonts I've seen. It looks great at small point sizes.

PixArrows: Successful at what it hoped to acheive. Quite useful in the proper context.

Posca Mad Thrasherz; This is a very good grafitti font. It's easy to read, and has consistent line thickness throughout. It's not as visually exciting as Abuse, though.

Coin Locker Datura: Other than the lower case z in Shadow, which could use a touch up, this is very well done, and imaginative.

BeigingWigoWhat: For some reason, I don't like this one. It seems hard to read, and not eye catching enough to make the effort. Sorry.

Ver Army: This is a good grungy stencil. It's similar, but not derivitive of other stencils, of which there are many.

Veru Serif: Probably your weakest font. This type of incomplete lettering was done by Manfred Klein quite some time ago. Nothing new here.

Abuse: An excellent grafitti font, especially the caps. It looks like you spent much less time on the lower case, but as a whole, it works.

Sweeep: I like this one very much. It seems to be useful at many point sizes. One of your better ones.

Knife Fight: I don't know why I like this one, but I do.

~bobistheowl

Edited 2 times. Last edit on May 15, 2010 at 12:50 by metaphasebrothel

May 15, 2010 at 12:45

vinz' fonts:

Defused: This is a winner. This is a popular style of the moment, so the competition for eroded/destroy fonts is intense, but this one makes the cut.

Officer X: This looks a bit like a freehand version of an Iconian Fonts typeface, but it is sufficiently different to merit distinction. It's weird, so it gets a thumbs up.

20 Cents Marker: Unremarkable. There are a lot of fonts like this, and there will be a lot more. This seems to be your first font, and you have improved since.

~bobistheowl

May 15, 2010 at 14:06

metaphasebrothel said  
Pee Pants Script
You might want to ask Rodolphe about the download file, because I tried five times to download it, and all of the archives were corrupted.

works fine for me...

May 15, 2010 at 15:36

Rodolphe, this would appear to be a browser issue. When I downloaded the .zip using Internet Explorer 6, the file was corrupted each of the six times, but it downloaded OK with Firefox. The corruption may be related to the terms of use text document. It didn't appear in the list of files when I downloaded using IE6.

~bito

May 15, 2010 at 18:13

using IE6 is just a problem in genereal. update your browser! ha ha

thanks for the thorough review, I agree with much of what you said. alot of it was inexperience and just testing the waters of making fonts. I'm glad you like Decco Disco, no one else seems to. thanks.

I dont make these for money, only hope someone is honest enough to donate for commercial use. Most of these fonts I did during breaks at my old job and didnt really spend a ton of time on.

I'll check out other's fonts and try to make some comments as well. I'm no font expert tho.

May 15, 2010 at 18:37

metaphasebrothel said  
Rodolphe, this would appear to be a browser issue. When I downloaded the .zip using Internet Explorer 6, the file was corrupted each of the six times, but it downloaded OK with Firefox. The corruption may be related to the terms of use text document. It didn't appear in the list of files when I downloaded using IE6.

Well I don't have IE6 to test it, but I've tried with IE7 and 8 and that's ok, so it doesn't really matter since IE6 is currently less than 3% of the visitors (and counting down...)

Edited on May 15, 2010 at 18:59 by Rodolphe

May 15, 2010 at 20:51

Rodolphe said  
metaphasebrothel said  

Well I don't have IE6 to test it, but I've tried with IE7 and 8 and that's ok, so it doesn't really matter since IE6 is currently less than 3% of the visitors (and counting down...)

@ Rodolphe: Most likely it is those 3% using IE6 who are complaining about corrupted zips in other threads. For you, it's good to know the likely cause of those complaints, because the error is not originating at the site. I'll be doing all of my future downloading here with Firefox.

@ kirksucks: There are a number of features that I use frequently in IE6 that have been eliminated from later versions. I'm also running a 'non genuine' version of WinXP, so I am loathe to update anything from Herr Bill.

May 15, 2010 at 21:07

metaphasebrothel said  
I'm also running a 'non genuine' version of WinXP, ....

are you on LSD?

May 16, 2010 at 18:28

I would suggest ditching IE altogether. there are many better alternatives these days. Most web sites dont even test in IE6 anymore, your browsing experience must be horrible.

May 17, 2010 at 11:18

kirksucks, I do the following things frequently:

1) Determine the specific url of a graphic on a webpage.

2) Save .jpg, .gif or .png source graphics as bitmaps.

3) Determine the source image location for pictures on flickr that don't have an 'all sizers' link.

These tasks seem to be easier with IE, compared to FireFox. I also like to browse for the directory where I want to save something. With Firefox, it puts everything in MyDocuments/Downloads. The changes made to IE7 and IE8 may benefit most people, but not me personally. I also find it difficult at times to close FireFox, as I often have to resort to the Task Manager. I use both browsers for different tasks. I just won't be using IE6 for dafont downloads anymore.

~bito

May 17, 2010 at 11:45

IE6 is a pain in the ass for web developpers, please save the planet and adopt another browser!
You're just justifying using IE6 beacause of your (bad) habits, i'll give you the cure :
The Firefox default download folder can be change or you can even specify "always ask" : Menu "Tools" >> "Options" >> "General" Tab, in the download section and you can check the "always close download manager when downloads are finished" to avoid your problems closing FF. (i'm using french version of FF, i've translated it, so the real text may be different).
For the Specific url of an image just Right click an image you have the choice to : "show the image" (this show the image fullpage you even have the full url in the nav bar), "copy the image" (this copy image to clipboard) or "copy image adress" (this copy the full url to clipboard). You also have "save the image, send the image, define as background, image informations" the last one gives you full info on the image (even EXIF infos with FxIF plugin : https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/5673)

Back to font talk, thanks for sharing your feelings. And you're right, 20cents was my first. The defused one need an update for a long time now, but never have the time to do it. Officer X was a quick-made-font (half a day) based on Office for Mac logo

May 19, 2010 at 23:56

metaphasebrothel, thanx for taking the time to give your feelings !
i'll try to do the same as soon as i find more free time !

that's funny you feel Posca Mad Thrasherz is less exciting than Abuse, i totally think the contrary ! =)
it's the 2 fonts that took me the less time to create, as it's my own handwriting (done with a Wacom)
Glad you like my last 2 fonts (the pixel ones) !

Regarding IE6, yeah it's a real bullshit.
i don't care about ie6 when i'm building a website, as it's a "browser" from 2001... and everybody know 9 years in the computer world is like 900 normal years !
i prefer spending time making a website accessible and W3C valid, rather than spending time making it work for non-valid browsers.
Most of the people who are still using ie6 use it at their job, where they don't have the administrator rights on thir computers.
For example, big companies spent a lot of money developing their intranet in 2001, and they don't want to spend money 10 years later to improve their website. So, they block the updating process on all their computers. I think it's quite sad... and not really progressive.

For all webdesigners and developers, there's a good JS script that shows a popup to the IE6 users, whih explains their browser is obsolete.
You can get it on http://www.ie6nomore.com

May 20, 2010 at 02:12

i remember doing web design back in 99/2000 and clients were using AOL 2.0 or didnt even know what a browser was. I'd ask: "what browser are you using?" and get the answer: "I got Yahoo"

so yea do us a favor and upgrade. FF will do anything you need it to.

I gotta take some time and look at your guys's fonts. I'm no font pro so my critiques might be a little civilian.

May 20, 2010 at 03:28

daaams, I reviewed all of the fonts on dafont for the people who had posted in this thread. I think the upper case for Abuse is better than Posca Mad Thrasherz, (which has the same glyphs for upper and lower case).

In reviewing fonts in this thread, I have evaluated kirksucks', vinz', and your own work by comparison to the standards of most of the other freeware/shareware 'amateur' designers on dafont, and by my impressions of the quality and originality of the work. There is, and should be, an expectation that the more recent fonts by a designer ought to be better than his/her earlier efforts, which is why I sorted the fonts chronologically. It would be unfair to compare the work of someone on dafont to, say, Alejandro Paul or Rob Leuschke, in the same way that it would be unfair to judge the quality of fonts based solely on the dafont download statistics. I think my reviews were fair and unbiased. Credit was given when credit was due, and constuctive criticism was given, when deemed appropriate. From the responses of the three of you, it would appear that my comments were appropriate. If either of you three had made the 'Kai's Handwriting' font from this thread,

http://www.dafont.com/forum/read/338/how-do-you-know-if

my criticism would have been severe, because it is poor by the standards of dafont, and by your own collective works. I evaluated his work by comparison to first font attempts, deviantArt amateur work, and I also took his age into account.

My first font was so incredibly bad that I didn't even keep a copy. I did a lot of experimenting with grey tones in some of my earlier fonts, and I have since abandoned that. The grey tone glyphs look great as monochrome clipart, but they translate very poorly to fonts. They also use huge amounts of memory. I did a test font for AParliamentofOwls that had one glyph, and the file size was 175 kb. In my case, the solution to making better fonts was to make more precise source graphics, and to do a lot of image editing after importing the graphics into my font making program. I have several fonts that look pretty good when ClearType and font smoothing are disabled, but they give the Blue Screen of Death to a lot of people when they don't have the same settings that I do.

My first alphabet font, (not including Apoux, which is more of a letterbat), is on page five of the new batch. I learned a lot about precision editing on this one, which will be of great use in future projects.

@kirksucks: My first computer was a Dell with a 9.3 GB hard drive, Windows ME, and a year of free AOL dialup. The AOL browser was even worse than the ME operating system. My nick, 'bobistheowl', originates from when I was on AOL, (BOB is the owl is a Twin Peaks reference). The nickname came from a game on a message board where the goal was to 'kill' other players by solving cryptic clues which would be used to determine their e-mail addresses. In my case, 'owl' was the the clue to determining the e-mail server, because if AOL is pronounced like a word instead of an acronym for America OnLine, it sounds like owl.

~bobistheowl

All times are CET. The time is now 05:53

Privacy Policy  -  Contact