Anuncio de Yorkoloko

Foro

15 posts

Typography Selection Criteria

24/10/2016 a las 15:34

Hi everyone.
I'm a type designer whose fonts are constantly being rejected for alleged kerning issues. I'd like to know what the overall requirements regarding kerning are, because I've came across tons of fonts with some horrid kerning and I think the ones I create are fair to say the least. I try to 'polish' my typefaces edges, shapes and specially kerning, in which I work for more than a couple hours if needed to get it as close to perfect as I possibly can.
If somebody has some info. regarding this I'd be thankful to check every point of it so as to be able to share the fonts I delightedly craft with everyone who might enjoy them.

Thanks
(and sorry if there's some blunder with the english)

24/10/2016 a las 15:36

Abraham, in your last submissions, you correct the kerning manually on your preview images, so you know there is a problem, right? Also, the criteria can evolve with time.

24/10/2016 a las 18:11

In your one font here on dafont Abraham, Calculative, I can not find any kerning at all. Also no creator info. And, question, why is it a symbol font?

24/10/2016 a las 20:18

#2 So frd, the mistake is on the image attached! I wouldn't have imagined that would be a problem!!
Thanks fot the tip, it was driving me nuts!

#3 Koeiekat yes, the submitted version of Calculative has no info within it and actually may be a symbol font because I made it long ago and the file wasn't totally finished, but just enough to be set free

24/10/2016 a las 20:52

Your font Calculative don't work on Mac.
It has several other problems.

25/10/2016 a las 10:14

No the problem is not on the image. You have received emails explaining the problems on your font (spacing/kerning problems and a link to explain what kerning is).

25/10/2016 a las 12:09

#5 I wasn't aware of that. Thanks claudeserieux

#6 I know what kerning is, what I don't know is the mistakes in it, seeing that my fonts work well (at least on the pcs i've tried it, don't know about mac). Thanks anyway

25/10/2016 a las 12:11

Abraham can you show me one with - in your opinion - correct kerning?

25/10/2016 a las 12:20

Your last submissions don't have kerning at all and they really need some.

Editado el 25/10/2016 a las 12:21 por frd

25/10/2016 a las 12:25

Maybe Abraham confuses kerning with advance width?

25/10/2016 a las 15:33

25/10/2016 a las 18:45

I got my problem solved there. I know kerning is all about adapting the space between glyphs to make it look smooth and natural but thought that to get there one had to handle the character width searching the best to fit with any combination. As I'm self-taught in this I hadn't come across the fact there is actually some parameters in the font that set the ''kerning pairs'. Now I know
Also, the tools I use (CorelDRAW & YTypeLight) don't have this option available.. I'll search for some other software.
Thanks again and sorry to have bothered you all with my ignorance!

25/10/2016 a las 20:04

Abraham, you will be surprised how many fonts there are out there - including many professional fonts - that have no kerning pairs.
Before someone starts mumbling, this does of course not concern connected glyphs fonts such as handwriting and so.

When the advance widths are set smartly the need for kerning is minimal. It is all about how the eye perceives it. The distance between two characters with a vertical stem on both the left and right side, needs to be wider than the distance between two characters that are round.

Rule of thumb: when the distance between, let's say an l and an l = 80 then the distance between an o and an o is 40 and the distance between an l and an o is 60. These are example numbers only just to give an indication. The designer decides how wide or narrow the letter spacing should be.
Ergo the white space left and right for the l is 40 and the white space left and right of an o is 20. Result, the distance between l and o is 40 plus 20 is 60 and-so-on.

Once this rule of thumb applied only a small number of letter pairs need fine tuning, kerning. Think of Ta and so. There are who also apply kerning for capital letters where the distance between L and V (negative kerning) for example is different from L and I.
But kerning for capital letter pairs is only relevant for those who who shout. And those shall be ignored, right?

Claudeserieux will be able to tell you whether or not free programs like TypeLight and FontForge have a kerning tool. I stick to Font Creator. But often the choice of software is based on what one is used to.

And not only software says Ronald Trump

Editado el 25/10/2016 a las 21:00 por koeiekat

25/10/2016 a las 20:30

TypeTool 3 Spanish Oup ! only GUI

Editado el 25/10/2016 a las 20:32 por claudeserieux

26/10/2016 a las 20:41

Thaks a lot for the advice koeiekat!!
I'll try FontForge to properly set the kerning in my typographies and will submit them then hoping they'll be enjoyed!

Huso horario CET. Ahora son las 09:52

Política de Privacidad  -  Contacto