Anuncio de 28fonts

Foro

14 posts

Scrip is being cut off by Microsoft word in Mac - Carnival Day

13/01/2015 a las 10:28

Hi Guys,

Sorry I am relatively new to downloading fonts, most work however I have gotten a particularly script style font and the tops and bottom are being cut off. This site has the font under a different name which I now cannot find, but when installed it came up as "Carnival Day".

If anyone could help and let me know how I can fix this it would be really appreciated

Thanks!

13/01/2015 a las 11:46

The vertical metrics, ascender and descender, are not correctly set. You can change that with a font editor. I can not find a font named Carnival Day so a picture with that font would help.

13/01/2015 a las 14:15

Have you tried to change the line spacing in the paragraph parameters ?

Editado el 14/01/2015 a las 11:43 por Menhir

13/01/2015 a las 17:44

The error is in the font itself. The vertical metrics may have been set correctly for Windows but not for Mac.

13/01/2015 a las 18:41

It is Windows and Microsoft applications that choke. Someone mentioned somewhere that he could not see the clipping problem someone was complaining about because he was on a Mac. Fonts that have that problem were probably done on a Mac and were not tested in Windows.

It is also very unfortunate that Fontlab default value for WinAscent and WinDescent is 0. What I notice is that even if the values of "TrueType specific metrics" are greyed and it is set to "Calculate values automatically" what values are already in there are still used by Fontlab.

13/01/2015 a las 20:26

True toto, many if not all MS apps choke. But ... the truetype standard was developed by MS and Apple. And when font developers do not respect those standards it is not MS or Apple who is to blame but those developers. And I know and you know that the fast majority of freebees made nowadays are made by people/kids that know nothing about this standard, never check their 'creation' is technically correct ... if they knew what to check and how at all.

13/01/2015 a las 22:29

@koeikat - Problem is more complicated.

Microsoft standard (from http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/os2.htm#wa ):
[...] WinAscent is computed as the yMax for all characters in the Windows ANSI character set.[...]

and from FontForge Manual (http://fontforge.github.io/fontinfo.html):

[...] The Windows Ascent and Descent fields are badly defined in the OpenType spec, which says that they should express the maximum range of the Windows "ANSI" glyphs. If one uses this definition, non-"ANSI" glyphs are cropped. These should be the maximum range of all glyphs to avoid cropping. [...]

14/01/2015 a las 10:00

koeiekat ha dicho  
... I know and you know that the fast majority of freebees...

The grammatically correct English version of this phrase translation from babelfish would be:

"You and I both know that the vast majority of freebies..." It's vast, because the breadth is sizable. I can't see how a 'fast majority' could be accurate, in context.

14/01/2015 a las 10:03

TY

15/01/2015 a las 12:00

@koeiekat

Thanks so much I am not at my computer but will post it tomorrow when I am. I really appreciate your help

15/01/2015 a las 16:47

@gluk
The problem is not really more complicated. Ascender and descender for both Windows and Mac shall be set so that they are at least equal to the highest/lowest position of the glyph that has the tallest stem / lowest tail, including accents. Also the sum of ascender and descender should preferably be equal to the units per em. Is that more then scaling down can be a solution. But unless you go into extremes it is not necessary as most if not all applications accept it. It is just 18 points doesn't look like 18 points

15/01/2015 a las 22:16

koeiekat ha dicho  
... Ascender and descender ... shall be set so that they are at least equal to the highest/lowest position of the glyph ... including accents.... sum of ascender and descender should preferably be equal to the units per em

??? then what with for example ĥ (hcaron) or ĺ (lacute)?

It's more complicated, as scaling down all glyphs in font, because You add support for Slovakian or Esperanto...

16/01/2015 a las 09:33

... all glyphs ... including Aring

16/01/2015 a las 10:07

Hi Guys,

So I have found the font name on this website

It is called Admiration Pains

Is anyone able to help me amend this so I can use it on my Microsoft word Mac ?

Thanks again !

Huso horario CEST. Ahora son las 02:26

Política de Privacidad  -  Contacto