Anzeige von ndrienugrie

Forum

4 posts

Naming a new font version

18.10.2016 um 10:12

Hi guys,
I created a font some years ago and at the moment I'm working on a new version of it. It's basically the same, but with more extra glyphs and international support and neater outlines.
Now I don't know if I should make a completely new font out of it, with a completely new name, or if I just say it's a 'pro' version of the old font (but then I don't know how to name it in order to avoid confusion).
Do you have any advice how to handle the situation?
Thanks!

18.10.2016 um 10:25

I guess it all depends on how different the font is from the original one. Some people choose to use a brand new name, some people just add something to the original name to show it's "the same but different", some people keep the original name as it is. I would say, it is really up to you, and that there is no good way or bad way to handle this.

18.10.2016 um 10:38

When the basic letter shapes look the same (to the eye) it is preferable to use the same font name with an addition in the font family name to distinguish it from the original version.

23.12.2016 um 14:02

Oh nooo I totally forgot about this thread LOL

Thank you both for your answers!

Actually I still couldn't make a decision... It's my Paper Banner Font I made a new version of, and this new version looks very similar to the old one as it's the same shapes, but cleaner and with a lot more glyphs.
So I now could name the new font "Paper Banner Pro", but I somehow think that name is too long (a single file would then be paperbannerprobold.ttf ). Or give it a totally new name, but then you could wonder why there are two names for the same shapes. Or I could rename the old font (as it's less important), and leave "Paper Banner" for the new one, but I don't know if that's confusing for those who already downloaded it here... My head is spinning I only know that I don't want to overwrite it.

I know that you can't make the decision for me and maybe I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill, buuuut anyway, I'd love to hear what you would think about it as someone who already got the old font and someone who will only see the new one.

Thanks!

Alle Zeitangaben sind CEST. Es ist jetzt 03:44

Datenschutzerklärung  -  Kontakt