Anzeige von sbhuian

Forum

12 posts

Minimum Character Set for dafont to accept Demo Font

14.12.2014 um 19:02

Hi everyone
I am using limited character sets to prevent unauthorized commercial use of my typefaces.

I have created demo versions for a number of my commercial fonts with limited character sets, typically enough to spell "font name" regular. The font submissions have all be rejected by dafont.com.

Does anyone know the minimum amount of characters I would have to include to get a demo font accepted on dafont.com?

If you would like to understand what I'm talking about, here are some examples:
http://www.fontspace.com/out-of-step-font-company/fortitude
http://www.fontspace.com/out-of-step-font-company/cvlt-rvne-regular-demo
http://www.fontspace.com/out-of-step-font-company/toni-demo
http://www.fontspace.com/out-of-step-font-company/nuvio-demo

Thanks!

Dan, OOSFC

14.12.2014 um 19:28

Dan, you need full A-Z alphabet, minimum. You could likely submit a font with upper case or lower case only, even if the full version has both. Numbers, symbols, punctuation, accented characters, etc. are always welcome, but not essential. If a font is not based on the Latin 26 character alphabet, (example: an ancient Roman design, that doesn't have 'J' and/ or 'U'), that would be OK. Omitting the S from the alphabet so that the font is useless without the commercial version would be cause for rejection, regardless of the quality of the glyphs offered.

Exceptions are made for dingbat fonts, especially many made more than about 15 years ago. If a dingbat font had 12 good glyphs and the rest was blank, it would likely be accepted.

If a dingbat font had one glyph, no matter how good it was, it would be rejected, (there is a sole exception to this rule, but it did not set a precedent).

If you just want to advertise your commercial fonts, you could upload at FontSpace. They don't have a review policy there; anyone who want to make their font available for download has only to submit their font file in a .zip archive, and it will be posted in a few minutes. It would be taken down quickly if the submission was a known copy-written work of a different author, and the submitter's upload privileges would be revoked.

Many good fonts are available on both sites, but there are a lot of fonts available on Fontspace that would be rejected, if submitted here. They aren't good enough.

Added: I didn't read the link urls. You're already familiar with the Fontspace submission process, but that advice also applied to other people reading this thread.

Bearbeitet am 14.12.2014 um 19:31 von metaphasebrothel

14.12.2014 um 20:01

I am impressed. impressed!

15.12.2014 um 00:27

I am impressed as well

Bearbeitet 3 mal. Zuletzt bearbeitet am 15.12.2014 um 00:32 von Rodolphe

15.12.2014 um 09:27

I wasn't invited to Zombieland for my font identification skills.

27.12.2014 um 19:34

Thank you for the information metaphasebrothel, this has been very helpful.
I typically make fonts with only a single case, so I will keep dafont in mind for fonts with multiple cases.

Dan, OOSFC

27.12.2014 um 21:08

Only single case type? Why?

28.12.2014 um 03:01

koeiekat sagte  

That probably means an all caps alphabet character map, two licenses, or an e e cummings handwriting font. Ome of those three, probably the first.

28.12.2014 um 09:34

The question is 'Why'. Not 'what does that mean'.

28.12.2014 um 23:15

I can't think of a fourth reason why someone would intentionally have a single case font. Case closed.

29.12.2014 um 17:29

koeiekat sagte  

Why not?

I make tattoo flash, graffiti, and display (headline) fonts. There's little use for lowercase letters in the styles I create.

Thanks for your help everyone, I'm unsubscribing to this post.

Bearbeitet am 29.12.2014 um 17:30 von outofstepfontco

29.12.2014 um 18:41

Tattoo and headlines in All Caps that is a Capital Offense.

Alle Zeitangaben sind CEST. Es ist jetzt 04:17

Datenschutzerklärung  -  Kontakt