Anúncio de Andrew2

Fórum

8 posts

How, if at all, should a font be priced...?

07/05/2010 às 17:36

I don't make a living making fonts, but I enjoy making them. On occasion I've been asked if a font of mine can be used commercially, and up until now I always said yes and free of charge...

I don't think my fonts are perfect and I also don't bother making with all the symbols and umlauts (all the accents for other languages...

So, is it OK to charge for a font that doesn't have all the symbols and accents? How does one charge... What does one charge... How does one get paid...?

This is just in case I do want to earn some money from my font creations....

Thanks,

v

07/05/2010 às 18:05

you decide. from 1 to 99999 dollars if you want
check out Myfonts.com to see how much cost a font and make your decision. is it a 10$ font or a 19,90$ one ? prefer 14,90 or 25 $ ?

09/05/2010 às 17:39

my standard response goes something like "...I've received donations for commercial use from $10 to $100 please donate what you think is appropriate for the use"

I usually get no response, but on occasion I get $5, $20, even $50 and %100 a couple times. I have this dillema with freelance design in general. You want the business but you can never be sure if it's a casual client or a big firm. The casual client you'd like to give a deal, but a huge design firm you'd like to take for all you can. right?

I needed a font for a project and bought one the client suggested.. it was $7. then, thanks to the forums here found the proper font match which ended up being $40. My client decided the $7 one was close enough.

10/05/2010 às 23:24

"I also don't bother making with all the symbols and umlauts (all the accents for other languages"
You shöuld always add these glyphes. It is not a big think to do, but makes them a lot more uisefull.
So don't bother the user of your work, by missing umlauts ans accents and they will give you a donation much more often, 'cause your fonts will be downloaded much more. The font, that is downloaded most of mine is completet with over 700 glyphes, motst oft them are accents, that cost me seconds to du for each.

11/05/2010 às 00:26

As a french guy, writing with french accents, working for french customers, i always use the "accent filter" when i'm looking for fonts on dafont.
So veredgf, it seems i've never seen any of your fonts, at least i've never thought about downloading them.
It's not against you, just against the non-accented fonts.

Talking about pay fonts, you'll never see a font without accents on famous font collections (fontfont, linotype,...).
Same thing for symbols, if you plan to release a commercial font, please try to make all the symbols.
You should always try to make as much useful glyphes as you can.

Editado 2 vezes. Última edição em 11/05/2010 às 00:35 por marty666

11/05/2010 às 04:17

Thanks!
It's just because I really don't do this for a living and my time is usually spent on my real job and of course my daughters... and home.

I got a request for a font of mine to be used on a site and that's why I asked.

I think I won't charge for it. It's only fair *g*

v

11/05/2010 às 10:24

i don't think people uploading fonts on dafont create fonts for a living.

if your character set is enough for your customer, i'm ok, that's enough.
What i said is don't expect to find customers from all around the world, if your character set only covers the english language.

12/05/2010 às 22:39

I just recently changed my licensing to make it even simpler now haha.
I charge $20.00 across the board for Unlimited royalty free use of any of my fonts for commercial businesses.
I only accept payment via Paypal or Postal Money Order so you don't have to worry about bad checks and whatnot.
Just add a note in your info file with your font letting people know how you wish to sell it.
best regards,
Larry

Todos os horários são CEST. Agora são 03:56

Política de Privacidade  -  Contato