Anúncio de Scriptorium

Fórum

7 posts

Substitution font (mistake I made with Photoshop)

17/04/2017 às 07:08

I was using photoshop to design a mockup for a client. Didn't realize it and I used a font from TypeKit.

To embed that in the page means I would have to rely on my business license to use on their site. No good.

What I need is a suggestion on what fonts in google fonts I could use for the typical main font and fallbacks for CSS.

The font i used that does not exist in Google Fonts is

Proxima Nova https://typekit.com/fonts/proxima-nova

Does anyone know a good substitute on Google Fonts? i could pick one but it may not be the best option and the big brains here are amazing at knowing fonts, so again i beg for help.

tldr;
Need to substitute similar fonts in css using google fonts. eg
font-family: "Times New Roman", Georgia, Serif;
Font to replace: Proxima Nova

if it helps, here is the font on TypeKit
https://typekit.com/fonts/proxima-nova

17/04/2017 às 07:43

Montserrat, maybe?

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Montserrat

Editado em 17/04/2017 às 07:43 por jerseygirl

17/04/2017 às 07:46

ok great. Thank you! that's what I'll try for the primary (i actually had that one bookmarked but was not confident) i need to figure out a fallback now. I suppose I could juse sans serif for the third, but i should figure something out for the second

17/04/2017 às 09:11

Why don't you use Proxima Nova as your first option. As long as you do not use your typekit subscription for that site, you are fine. If the visitor has Proxima Nova installed in his computer, then they can view the site with that font.

For the second option, why not use the suggested Montserrat. It is freely available and you can use @font-face to access it. So if Proxima Nova is not available to your visitor, he can view the site using Montserrat.

Then use sans-serif as your last option just in case the Google servers can't deliver.

If you are not going to use Proxima Nova, I think you will be fine with Montserrat (or any Google fonts) and sans-serif. Having a specific font for a second option is unnecessary as Google Fonts is assumed to be always up.

17/04/2017 às 17:48

I am going to use montserrat for sure. But as a developer I cannot use a font that isn't either a standard installed font, or one available on google fonts. because only a fraction of the people viewing the page are going to see it right. I'm better off using a slightly different font but one that's on google. So Montserrat is the main one. Now I'm looking for fall back. I shouldn't ever need it, but there are always exceptions, otherwise there'd be no need for fallback fonts in css.

FYI i can't put proxima nova on the server because it's a paid for font. it HAS to be done through TypeKit. know what I mean? i would love to use @font-face to handle it. I'm kicking myself for making this mistake at all. it's unacceptable

Editado em 17/04/2017 às 17:50 por mindzipper

17/04/2017 às 18:34

No you do not have to put Proxima Nova on the server. Only people with Proxima Nova installed on their PC will be able to view the page with Proxima Nova. The probability of someone having Proxima Nova installed is a lot less than 1% of 1%. Only those in the corporate or academic environment will likely have that font installed on the PC. Outside of that, the font is very likely an unlicensed copy.

If your client really wanted Proxima Noma then they will have to purchase a license. Otherwise they have to use the font as an option for those who have it. That is why CSS allows you to declare several fonts so that if the preferred font is not available, you can use another one. As you said you are a web developer so you are fully aware of this.

I am fully aware as to how it is done at typekit.

BTW can't your client afford $29 per webfont? If he needs regular, itallc, bold and bold italic that is only $116. I say if you want it, spend for it.

11/07/2017 às 14:12

I wanna know that too.

Todos os horários são CEST. Agora são 03:50

Política de Privacidade  -  Contato