Anúncio de jennasuedesign

Fórum

26 posts

Embedding Jump Start Font

21/06/2011 às 09:22

Hello dafont.com forum

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I would like to use Jump Start font in a business card I am designing in adobe illustrator CS4. When I try to save it to pdf it says:-

"The font JumpStart could not be embedded in the PDF document because of licensing restrictions. Stroked text will not be visible."

Is there any way round this? Can you buy a licensed version?

Any help very gratefully received!!

Many Thanks

Rosanna

21/06/2011 às 10:21

the font says "free" however this is an old font and i don't see how to contact the author...
the author is Stephen Deken and his site is down since 2002.
there is a website http://stephendeken.net/ but i don't know if it's the same person behind.
there's also a twitter and a linkedin account : http://twitter.com/#!/sdeken http://www.linkedin.com/in/stephendeken. Here again i cannot say if it's the same person.
Try all this leads to contact him.

Another solution is to vectorize your text in Illustrator. This will work if you don't have much amount of text (such as a business card) but will be painful for plain texts blocks as text editing will be impossible once vectorized.
So save a backup copy of your business card for later use if you need to change something and right click the text, select vectorize font form the contextual menu.

Editado 2 vezes. Última edição em 21/06/2011 às 10:23 por vinz

21/06/2011 às 14:56

Jump Start is © 1999 Solar*Sister Fonts/Isabelle Trolio http://www.iinet.net.au/~pigmeat
That URL brings you nowhere as you are redirected to http://www.iinet.net.au/~isabelle and there is nothing there. Neither will http://www.hellostranger.com/solarsister/ bring you any further.
But, as Luc Devroye (who knows probably more than Google ) tells us: Solar Sister [Isabelle Trolio]. Isabelle Trolio from Mount Lawley, West Australia ...
Mount Lawley is Perth and a Isabelle Trolio in Mount Lawley, Perth runs the Ruck Rover General Store, you might as well ask Isabelle Trolio there if she might happen to be the lost solarsister.

It may very well be that Fontographer had restricted license embedding set as default and Isabelle never bothered to change that. Which by the way is a doddle to do

Success.

22/06/2011 às 09:55

Thank you very much, I really appreciate both your replies. I am going with the outlining the font solution at the moment but would like to use the font for other documents so will try a bit of tracing the originator if I find anything out I will post here.

Many Thanks

Rosanna :-)

25/06/2011 às 20:25

Hmm... well, looking at the license it DOES say 'free for any use' for this font. The file itself lists it as such, though it's got some bizzare options in the editing. I'll try to contact either of the authors and see about getting them to update it or simply just take it over, though.

25/06/2011 às 21:26

bizzare options?

25/06/2011 às 21:29

Lots of errors, both in the headers and the individual glyphs, probably because it's a legacy font from Fontographer 4.1. All the fonts I migrated from that when I went to FontCreator had similar problems. Not too hard to fix, but tweaking the glyphs to lose their errors will take a little time (pinning down which 'hole' has the error points is a pain).

25/06/2011 às 21:37

Can't your software do that automatically? Mine can. But then, I am using FontCreator ...

Editado em 25/06/2011 às 21:42 por koeiekat

25/06/2011 às 21:41

Some of it, but not all. I'm on an older version of FontCreator that doesn't quite handle all of the 'incorrect direction' bugs. Since I promised the wife that I won't upgrade until I get the donations to cover for it... they're manual fixes for me for the time being.

25/06/2011 às 21:47

5.6 can do that automatically for most errors. Not all headings though.
Edit:
You should also use the advanced settings in the naming section. At least to get rid of "This font was created using FontCreator 5.6 from High-Logic.com" and HL as the vendor. Further you can put your whole EULA and contact info there. Change that in the options and done forever.

Editado em 25/06/2011 às 21:53 por koeiekat

25/06/2011 às 22:03

Me smart! Me know how to use menus!

Seriously, thanks. I didn't even realize that it was shoving that in there. I'll definately be cleaning that up in future updates! (Sadly, I JUST finished a font about a 1/2 hour before seeing this... heh.)

As for getting the errors, 5.6 gets a LOT of them and works pretty well, but it doesn't highlight problem countours in edit mode for me. (Is there a setting I'm just missing here?) That's really what slows down the error-cleaning process for me. It says that there IS an error, but doesn't always show me where it is.

Editado em 25/06/2011 às 22:09 por Jaynz

27/06/2011 às 16:40

On the other hand, I did get just enough donations now from dafont to get the upgrade to 6.2. Yay, me!

27/06/2011 às 17:30

Yay, yay! And the Boss agrees?

27/06/2011 às 18:50

No problems with her so long as it comes out of the donation till. The next thing to get is Scanahand... but in the meantime I've got a handful of older fonts to fix up this week. That'll include Jump Start, which I'll go ahead and proceed with even though I haven't heard back from the apparent authors. :S

27/06/2011 às 18:53

Did you try to contact Isabella in Pert?

27/06/2011 às 19:02

I went through google and bing to find what contact information I could for both of them. If you have something recent, please let me know or just forward my request along.

27/06/2011 às 19:52

All the info is in this thread. Scroll up

Edit kk

Editado 2 vezes. Última edição em 28/06/2011 às 00:59 por koeiekat

28/06/2011 às 00:54

I'll send that along, as soon as your little black icon thingie stops... draining.. my... mind...

28/06/2011 às 00:56

28/06/2011 às 01:55

Got in touch with her and sent along the request and offer. Will hear back soonish, I hope.

Todos os horários são CEST. Agora são 10:47

Política de Privacidade  -  Contato