Pubblicità di Dowly

Forum

13 posts

how to make fonts and save/upload them?!

12/06/2010 alle 20:49

hello.
i've been playing around with photoshop and want to have a go at submitting a font.

A. how do i create fonts
> size of image?
> what file format for image

B. how to save them as a whole file and upload them?

12/06/2010 alle 22:24

On the edge of getting another vinz reprimande ...

Shouldn't this be prohibited?

13/06/2010 alle 11:10

?

13/06/2010 alle 11:21

13/06/2010 alle 14:57

mynameisjack ha detto  
hello.
i've been playing around with photoshop and want to have a go at submitting a font.

A. how do i create fonts
> size of image?

mynameisjack, you can use photoshop to make the images for your font, but you need a font making program to create the font file. The size of images used for the font is determined by the designer, but they must all have a uniform height. Depending on which font making program you use, the source graphics may be imported into the font at actual size, or the font making program may reduce their size to fit a glyph window.

The image file format will depend on which font making program you plan to use. Monochrome bitmaps are good choices, or .eps files or other vector images. Some fontmaking software will allow you to import colour images, but quality may be compromised, as the images within the font will always be black and white.

~bito

13/06/2010 alle 15:15

metaphasebrothel ha detto  
mynameisjack ha detto  
hello.

A. how do i create fonts
> size of image?

mynameisjack, you can use photoshop to make the images for your font, but you need a font making program to create the font file. The size of images used for the font is determined by the designer, but they must all have a uniform height. Depending on which font making program you use, the source graphics may be imported into the font at actual size, or the font making program may reduce their size to fit a glyph window.

The image file format will depend on which font making program you plan to use. Monochrome bitmaps are good choices, or .eps files or other vector images. Some fontmaking software will allow you to import colour images, but quality may be compromised, as the images within the font will always be black and white.

~bito

thank you so much.

14/06/2010 alle 10:27

To create a font, you'd rather use a a vector drawing software (such as illustrator) or better, directly in a font editing software (such as fontlab). Try to google fot a font creation tutorial. Once you've made your font, submit it through this form : http://www.dafont.com/submit.php

@kat : Every question deserves to be answered, even the "noobest" ones!

14/06/2010 alle 14:14

I draw almost all of my glyphs in Illustrator nowadays and the hand drawn ones I scan, import and live trace in Illustrator. Then I copy and past them into FontLab.

14/06/2010 alle 15:13

i'm doing the exact same thing, jason. Some typographer told me one day it was better to use directly fontlab to draw characters but I just can't! My mind is illustrator-formated...

15/06/2010 alle 08:16

vinz ha detto  
To create a font, you'd rather use a a vector drawing software (such as illustrator) or better, directly in a font editing software (such as fontlab). Try to google fot a font creation tutorial. Once you've made your font, submit it through this form : http://www.dafont.com/submit.php

@kat : Every question deserves to be answered, even the "noobest" ones!

i'm no noob
thank you!

15/06/2010 alle 14:10

... but it was a noob question

15/06/2010 alle 17:47

mynameisjack, I use MS Paint to make my source graphics in monochrome bitmap format, and I use ScanFont 3.13 to make the fonts. Unfortunately, FontLab is no longer selling ScanFont 3.13, but it's not too difficult to find a copy online, if you know where to look. I'm in a small minority, making fonts with this software combination, but it isn't essential to have several expensive graphics programs installed to make fonts.

Studio5 is a difficult program to use for someone new to creating fonts. FontCreator is the least expensive option if you're buying software. For the type of fonts that I make, ScanFont is the only viable option. The latest version of ScanFont, (5), is a plugin for Studio5, so you would need both apps to make it work.

15/06/2010 alle 17:59

ok, i bare that in mind.

Fuso orario: CEST. Ora sono le 16:07

Privacy Policy  -  Contatti