Forum

14 posts

Client has trouble embedding font using InDesign

27/02/2017 à 23:20

Hi all,

I'm hoping one of the font authors out there could lend a helping hand.

A client recently purchased a licence for one of my fonts and I sent them an unrestricted copy for commercial use. They contacted me a couple of days later to tell me they could not embed the font into a PDF using the latest version of inDesign. They tried everything they could think of, including allowing Adobe support to take remote control of their machine to try to troubleshoot the issue. No joy.

I've sold quite a lot of licences for this font over the past couple of years and haven't had this problem before. I also I don't have InDesign, so can't replicate the problem myself. I've checked the font properties using the Type3.2 font editor and everything seems to be as it should, but I'd be grateful if someone could sanity check it to see if I'm missing something.

Please drop me a mail if you can help - steve@explogos.com.

Cheers,
Steve

27/02/2017 à 23:57

28/02/2017 à 10:54

Hi Claude,

Maybe my original post wasn't clear - I HAVE set the set the rules to allow embedding. The client is still having trouble.

What I would like to do is send the .ttf font file to one of you guys here and ask you to inspect it using your own font editors to see if the embedding rules have been applied correctly. I'd also like anyone who uses InDesign to see if they can replicate the problem.

Can you help with this?

Steve

28/02/2017 à 11:01

Hi Steve,

For what it's worth, I've had a similar issue in the past, but we didn't manage to find a solution. The person uninstalled the font, then installed it again, and for some reason it worked. This being said, I haven't seen your font file so there is still a possibility that something is indeed wrong in it, or it could be just a glitch.

28/02/2017 à 11:06

Hi Frédéric,

I will suggest the customer uninstall and reinstall the font - maybe that will solve the problem. In the meantime, do you have the time to take a look at the font file? I created it using an inexpensive font editor called Type3.2, so am wondering if there's something about the way it applies embedding rules that is causing the issue.

28/02/2017 à 11:25

Sure, you can send it to the email address that shows up on my profile. I am not really on expert for these things, but who knows?

28/02/2017 à 11:53

Thanks so much. The font is on it's way.

28/02/2017 à 12:28

You're welcome! So, I didn't find anything, but like I said, I'm not an expert. I have tried embedding it in a PDF and it worked fine (I don't have InDesign either though). Sorry I can't help you more!

28/02/2017 à 12:30

Thanks so much for taking a look, Frédéric.

Does anyone out there have InDesign?

28/02/2017 à 16:02

opt to get an OpenType version or

convert font to outlines--export PDF

Édité le 28/02/2017 à 16:04 par claudeserieux

02/03/2017 à 01:20

explogos.com
I have CS6 but not CC. As Frd get my email from my profile and I'll have a looksee. If client who's having the issues is on CC however, I probably won't be able to shed much light on the issue as I'm legacy (I prefer to call it retro).

02/03/2017 à 10:21

If you still need help, I can give your font a spin.

t o 2 2 t o @ g m a i l . c o m

just delete the spaces.

02/03/2017 à 10:33

Thanks everyone.

Someone has told me recently that it isn't possible to create a PDF with embedded fonts using InDesign. They said that the way around this was to create the PDF using something like Illustrator, then place that document into InDesign. Does this seem likely?

@pilaster and toto - thanks for your offer to take a look. I'll send the font file to you shortly.

Cheers,
Steve

02/03/2017 à 13:19

The PDF I sent you has the font embedded on it so what that someone told you about InDesign not able to embed fonts on a PDF is not true.

Your client should give the suggestion made by frd at #4 a try

BTW InDesign can be downloaded from Adobe for testing purposes.

Fuseau horaire : CEST. Il est actuellement 03:17

Données personnelles  -  Contact