Forum

8 posts

Fonts not having the same name in Windows and Mac OS X

17/03/2016 à 22:09

Hi everyone,

Our business is having an issue right now with a very specific font family, called Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk. The issue is that Windows and Mac OS X don't interpret the font name the same way, which causes problems in our software.

Let me explain, by using this specific font as a referral [illegal link removed]

This font was downloaded from this same link, and installed on both a Mac with OS X 10.11.3, and Windows 10 v1511 (latest non-preview build).
In Mac OS X, the font is named "Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk Bold", while in Windows 10, the font is named Akzidenz Grotesk BE Bold, which causes the following issue: If I create a document on either platform, and then open the same document on the other platform, it won't recognize the font since it doesn't have the same name, thus rendering the usage of custom fonts useless.

Is there some way to set/force a font name to be used across OS, or any other way to prevent this from happening ?

Thanks everyone

Édité le 18/03/2016 à 09:01 par frd

17/03/2016 à 22:33

18/03/2016 à 14:47

Wow, really ? What kind of answer is that ?
We DID buy this font, years ago, but sadly the person who bought it did not bother leaving any info as to where it was bought so we can re-download a possible updated version.

And we're having problems with other bought fonts that do the same thing...so your answer just means nothing really.
Could someone actually try and answer my question, instead of just saying "well, shell out a grand and hope it works" ?

18/03/2016 à 16:06

It is a font naming problem that should be addressed by the designer or foundry that published the font.

As for the font from that link you provided, this is the problem

The first two lines are used by Windows, and the third is used by Macs as labeled.

BTW Claude gave you the right answer based solely on your original post. Read your original post again and think how people might interpret it.

18/03/2016 à 16:24

!!! What is the name of the application you used to get this info ? I'd love to get myself a copy to fiddle with it and see if I might be able to fix this issue myself.

Thank you,

18/03/2016 à 16:36

AlexPilon a dit  
!!! What is the name of the application you used to get this info ?
Thank you,

Fontlab Studio or Fontlab TypeTool

18/03/2016 à 16:59

All professional font editors, e.g. FontLab http://www.fontlab.com or FontCreator http://www.high-logic.com/font-editor/fontcreator.html can change the font name, but usually the font designer/ vendor doesn't allow you to make changes.

18/03/2016 à 17:41

Fuseau horaire : CEST. Il est actuellement 06:26

Données personnelles  -  Contact