Pub de nia_gichi

Forum

6 posts

Working on a Font Drafs app

08/04/2015 à 12:44

Hi all! I am working on an app as a hobby project, called Font Drafts. As the name implies, it's a tool for sketching typefaces. The app is now in beta state and anyone can sign up on the site http://fontdrafts.com

Have a look and please sign up if you think you can contribute. Also, of course feel free to share with anyone you think might be interested. Thanks!

02/07/2015 à 19:36

I just wanted to let you all know that version 1.0 of the app is now in App Store. It is free to use but $2 if you want to use the export functionality, or just support the development. Check it out:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/font-drafts/id983309871

02/07/2015 à 20:44

The app that is really needed for the iPhone©®™ is one that makes it possible to make a phone call.
This thing might have possibilities for some who can not draw if it could be run on the same machine that the font editor runs on.

03/07/2015 à 05:34

IMO exporting to PNG is a waste of time. In Fontlab, you need to convert the PNG to bitmap before you can import and trace it. You can also use an autotracer to do the job for you. Both ways, it is going to need a lot of hard work. It is kind of repeating the same thing all over again. If the app can export to a vector format, then you will make things a lot simpler. Only being given the ability to export to PNG is not worth the upgrade. You are going to get the same end result by using a pencil and paper.

Get that app of yours to export vectors and that will become very interesting.

I'd like to give your app a spin but I do not have a smart phone and I doubt if it will work on my dumb phone (Nokia 5110)

03/07/2015 à 10:24

toto@k22 a dit  
... I doubt if it will work on my dumb phone (Nokia 5110)

Neither on my Moterola F3

03/07/2015 à 10:44

Actually, I have been aiming for an end result quite similar to pencil and paper. The benefit of using this app rather lies in the tools provided to create the sketches, where you can tweak details and compare them in real-time to the other letters. It also makes it easy to re-use basic shapes to get the whole picture ready quicker. I am looking into more options for export, such as vector output. But since I imagine any serious type designer would want to re-draw the final letters for more precision anyway, it has not been prioritized at this moment.

Fuseau horaire : CEST. Il est actuellement 08:57

Données personnelles  -  Contact