Pub de Thilanka

Forum

26 posts

Cannot download fonts

31/12/2014 à 18:09

Hi,
I am unable to download any fonts onto my Microsoft word 2010 for Windows 7. When I try to install the fonts a dialog box pops up saying it cannot download it because it is not a valid font. It does this for all the fonts that I try and I'm pretty sure they are valid because they're True Type font file. I'd really appreciate some help, thanks!

01/01/2015 à 11:22

You can not download a font to MS Word. MS Word only recognized fonts that are installed in your operating system.
Did you notice and even better read this before you clicked the general discussion link?

01/01/2015 à 20:58

Ok, well if you can't download it to word then where to you download it to? And yes I spent time reading other FAQs and forums and they said you download fonts to word.

01/01/2015 à 21:02

FAQ

01/01/2015 à 21:18

wow thanks for that help...

01/01/2015 à 22:12

Double-click on the zip > Extract All files > Right-click on the font file > "Install"

http://www.dafont.com/faq.php#win

02/01/2015 à 18:38

But when I try to install it a dialog box pops up saying it cannot download it because it is not a valid font. I've tried it many times with different fonts and the same thing always happens

03/01/2015 à 00:02

When you try to install a font you have already downloaded it so a popup telling you that it cannot download it is the eight wonder of the world. Keep hiding the extensions for known file types and you will never ever have a clue what you are doing.
RTFFAQ! Do exactly what you are told. Do not what you would like to do. For once in your short life follow instructions. You might achieve something.

03/01/2015 à 02:02

well it seems you're too caught up in being a jerk to actually read what I first said and what isn't actually working. It says it cannot download it because it is not a valid font NOT that I downloaded it twice. Maybe next time you should learn to read, but it seems you're too busy being a jerk to people on the internet instead

03/01/2015 à 03:03

Hello,
Did you try to download font from another website?
Thanks, a great day!

03/01/2015 à 09:27

@ddcura, are you on a wireless connection?

03/01/2015 à 12:05

You wrote,
ddcura a dit  
... I am unable to download any fonts onto my Microsoft word 2010 for Windows 7. When I try to install the fonts a dialog box pops up saying it cannot download it because it is not a valid font. ...

You may not like to hear/read it but what you wrote makes clear that you have no clue what you are doing and no clue what you are talking about.
"Download a font onto Microsoft Word". Again, you can not. No-one can. That is one of the very few things that is really impossible.
Again, you can only use a font under Windows 7 when it is properly installed. As from 7 Windows does not have the possibility anymore to work with a temporarily install (open the font with Windows Font Viewer). Windows can only install otf and/or ttf font files. You download a zip, not an otf or ttf. But you don't know that because you keep hiding the extensions for known file types. And you can not install a zip. no-one can. That also is one of the very few things that is really impossible.
Now, had you taken the trouble to read the instructions in the FAQ you would have known all this and you would have been able to use the fonts with MS Word, but ... you knew better ... you thought.

Not smart.

03/01/2015 à 14:30

ddcura a dit  
well it seems you're too caught up in being a jerk to actually read what I first said and what isn't actually working. It says it cannot download it because it is not a valid font NOT that I downloaded it twice. Maybe next time you should learn to read, but it seems you're too busy being a jerk to people on the internet instead

Dude, are you trying to install the .zip file? It's necessary to extract the .ttf or .otf file from the .zip archive first. You knew that, didn't you?

Look at the picture icon. if it looks like a font icon, it's a font. If it looks like a stenographer's pad, it's a text document. If it looks like a folder with a zipper on it, or three books with a belt around them, it's a .zip archive.

03/01/2015 à 15:02

metaphasebrothel a dit  
... Look at the picture icon. if it looks like a font icon, it's a font. If it looks like a stenographer's pad, it's a text document. If it looks like a folder with a zipper on it, or three books with a belt around them, it's a .zip archive.

Or look at the file extension. When it says pfb, pfm, ttf or otf it is a font. When it says txt it is a text document. When it says zip or rar it is an archive. But those extensions have to be visible of course.

03/01/2015 à 23:54

koeiekat a dit  
metaphasebrothel a dit  
... Look at the picture icon. if it looks like a font icon, it's a font. If it looks like a stenographer's pad, it's a text document. If it looks like a folder with a zipper on it, or three books with a belt around them, it's a .zip archive.

Or look at the file extension. When it says pfb, pfm, ttf or otf it is a font. When it says txt it is a text document. When it says zip or rar it is an archive. But those extensions have to be visible of course.

I always display file extensions, except when I'm going to be renaming a batch of files.

Sometimes the same icon is used for different image, archive or video files, often dependent on the same default program being used to open the different file types.

I often need to know if a video file is .avi, .mpg, .mov, .mkv. .ts, etc, and even the details view won't tell me that.

I may need to know if an archive is .zip, .rar, or .7z, (or .z7, I don't have many of those). I often need to know if an image is bitmap, .png, .jpg, .tiff, or .gif.

Showing the extensions lets me do that. That's why you do that, too. It doesn't make sense to show the extensions, however, if I'm renaming 100 files at the same time. I hide the extensions until that task is over, then show them again. It's a whole lot easier to do that with Windows XP.

I use Windows 7 where I teach computer skills in one-on-one lessons. I hate it. The whole concept is changed. Instead of the computer following the user's commands, it anticipates what it 'feels' the user wants to do, and does that for him. I want the computer to follow my instructions. I don't want it to direct me.

That's why I'm sticking with XP. I don't want my computer 'dumbed down' to make things easier for people who don't know what they're doing.

Finally, koeiekat, we agree on something. Surely that is the first Sign of the Apocalypse!

Happy new year.

~bobistheowl

Édité 2 fois. Dernière édition le 04/01/2015 à 09:26 par drf

05/01/2015 à 05:00

Yes, I knew to extract it before I wrote on the forum, I also knew for sure that it was a font because I DID spend time looking in FAQs and other forums and they told me how to figure that out, which I DID. The font is a TrueType font file just like I said in my first post. The problem I'm having is after extracting the file I try to install it and it wont allow me to.
So are you saying that it is just because Windows 7 doesn't allow me to download fonts or is it something else?

05/01/2015 à 21:17

Well that ruled out a lot of possible explanations. Can you tell us the name of the font to which you are referring, ddcura? Possibly the problem is with the font file. Somebody here using Windows 7 could check to see if they're having the same problem. Is it one font causing the problem, or all of the ones that you have downloaded, and tried to install? I'm still using XP, so this part will have to be handled by the European contingent.

05/01/2015 à 21:57

Bobby, the thingie downloaded something from somewhere. At least it claims it did so. The thingie carefully hides what it is talking about. The thingie has no clue what it downloaded - from wherever - and what - probably an exe from 101. The thingie has - it claims - read a FAQ somewhere. Probably a FAQ the thingie found on the Moon. The thinghie has never been able and will never be able to follow any advice. The thingie has no clue how to follow advice. The thingie would not have a clue how to ... as the thingie needs a scull refill. This time not with weed though.

Édité le 05/01/2015 à 22:25 par koeiekat

06/01/2015 à 02:59

Thanks metaphasebrothel it happens with all of the fonts I've been trying. One example is this one: http://www.dafont.com/cirth-erebor.font

06/01/2015 à 12:30

@ddcura, this is how I did it.

1. I downloaded the font from Dafont.
2. When the download was complete, I went to the folder where the download was saved.
3. I doubleclicked on the ZIP file and dragged erebor.ttf to the folder - meaning I extracted the font from the ZIP.
4. I doubleclicked on erebor.ttf and clicked on the "Install" button (circled in the image)
5. I opened MS Word, selected Cirth Erebor from the font menu, set the font size and typed the text

The font worked fine for me, did not encounter any problem and I am on Windows 7. See this

If you did the same way I did it and you still get the same result, you might want to answer the question of drf in message 11.

Now got to uninstall the font....

Fuseau horaire : CEST. Il est actuellement 05:04

Données personnelles  -  Contact