Pub de Poemhaiku

Forum

37 posts

What is considered personal use and what is commercial?

03/09/2013 à 20:21

A prime case of interpretation, it was spelled "the creator" not "The Creator" like in "The Kat".

30/04/2014 à 23:42

I have a question about using a font I found online that I don't see addressed here. I'm getting a tattoo done and have been researching fonts and found one I'd like to use. It's 'free for personal use', and I tried contacting the font's creator to find out if this would be considered personal use vs commercial. I haven't gotten a response yet, so I'm asking you all -- what are your thoughts? To recap, I'm the one getting the tattoo, I’m the one doing the research, I’m the one who found the font, but (now the tricky part) I'm going to be paying a professional to do it. I can certainly see it being commercial usage if the tattoo shop/artist publicized that they offer this font as a normal course of business (in which case they should pay for it), but that's really not how it all came about, and I'm certainly not making money from using it. Thanks!

30/04/2014 à 23:51

You will use as personal use, is for you, not for the tattoo shop/artist.

02/05/2014 à 09:28

And if this font is legaly free to download, le tatoo artist can download it too.

11/01/2016 à 18:52

This is a really interesting topic because there is a fine line between what is considered commercial vs. personal use. I'd say if there is an advertising being done that uses the font, or any money is being made where the font is concerned, then the creator is owed recognition and/or payment. My question is geared more towards the definition of personal use. What is considered personal? If I have a blog where I ramble about my baking ideas and I decide to use a font on my cookie pictures to make them look good for some holiday blogging, is that considered personal? Dafont should have moderators in these forums that are knowledgeable on this topic, it would be so helpful!!

11/01/2016 à 20:26

Personal is for your own personal, private, non public use. How come that people that have (a form of) the King's English as their native tongue are incapable to understand this?

11/01/2016 à 20:40

Yo hablo español tambien, pero.. it does not come down to what language you speak. Intellectual property is one thing, but submitting fonts here on dafont means that font creators are leaving 'personal use' to be defined by the user.

12/01/2016 à 10:27

jcarlson6 a dit  
submitting fonts here on dafont means that font creators are leaving 'personal use' to be defined by the user.

It's a very personnal point of view.
I'm not sure that the creators share your point of view.

12/01/2016 à 10:33

jcarlson6 a dit  
submitting fonts here on dafont means that font creators are leaving 'personal use' to be defined by the user.

12/01/2016 à 16:33

jcarlson6 a dit  

If there is such a condition here at Dafont, I have not seen it.

If that is your personal opinion, it shows that you have little respect for the people who make fonts.

12/01/2016 à 18:54

Sorry toto, it is nota matter of little or no respect. It is the typical US student me me me and fuck the rest mentality. As said before, when I can get a gun I may use it as I please. Pump a round into a two years old? OK. It is personal use, right.

12/01/2016 à 19:28

Yes it really is not a matter of disrespect. What I'm saying is that dafont should have 'personal use' defined much more clearly. Leaving judgement up to 'the user' is not smart and could result in cease and desist orders having to be issued by the font creator.

PS: Comparing fonts to guns is laughable. Please stop mentioning shooting two-year olds, it's disturbing.

20/02/2016 à 14:24

So, if I were to use a font in a piece of artwork I created for a song of mine, would that be personal or commercial? I'm not going to make any kind of profit from it at all, it's just going to sit there on Soundcloud, probably, and gather dust.

20/02/2016 à 16:28

Please check this link for more information: http://www.dafont.com/faq.php#copyright

24/03/2020 à 17:02

can i use personal use fonts on my portfolio and upload on behance.net

28/05/2020 à 06:16

Is using them for instagram considered commercial use? As long as I say “This font is not my own” or something like that, and I’m not making money off if it, would it be okay? I just want to use fonts for edits and I dunno what to do really.

28/05/2020 à 09:49

As usual for these questions, the only way to know is to contact the author. Everyone has a different version of what is commercial use or not.

Fuseau horaire : CEST. Il est actuellement 00:51

Données personnelles  -  Contact