Pub de lopetz

Forum

7 posts

First font - critique appreciated.

18/11/2013 à 18:18

I am working with a business partner on a new venture and we decided we wanted an original typeface we could call our own. Neither of us had ever designed a typeface so, after flipping a coin, the task fell to me. A demo of the current version of our font was uploaded to dafont.com recently and can be seen here:

http://www.dafont.com/creativzoo.font

It was created in Inkscape, then converted to .ttf using a free online converter. I have since used Type 3.2 to set the bearings (though believe I need to increase these a little as the text is more condensed than I would like). I haven't applied any kerning yet and there is currently only a very limited glyph set, but I would appreciate any feedback and advice.

As a side note, I notice the font is also now available on another site, though I never submitted it there. I wouldn't ordinarily have a problem except the other version doesn't come with my licence, so potential users have no way to contact me.

Is dafont.com associated with any other font sites?

Thanks in advance, Steve

Édité le 18/11/2013 à 18:21 par explogos.com

18/11/2013 à 19:10

Just one thing concerning your last question. No, dafont isn't associated with any other font site. It is something that has been discussed several times around here, on the forum. Many sites simply "suck" the content of other sites. And yes, they also remove the license/copyright information sometimes. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about that, so far (did I hear someone say "nuclear weapon"?). You can try to contact those websites, but you probably won't get an answer, or if you do, they won't agree to remove your font.

18/11/2013 à 20:05

Why, the baseline is a 448 (219*2) ?

Édité le 18/11/2013 à 20:05 par claudeserieux

18/11/2013 à 22:51

Not, bad, Steve. You've done a good job with the letter spacing, which most designers don't get right, the first time. I think you should modify the lower case y.

19/11/2013 à 11:50

drf - I emailed the site in question and also contacted them via twitter. No reply... as you predicted. >:

claudeserieux - I have no idea! This was my first attempt as designing a font and, as I mentioned in my original post, I went about it in a rather unconventional manner. I never even stopped to consider the baseline... my only concern was making sure the glyphs were aligned correctly relative to each other. Do you have experience using Type 3.2? If so, is it a simple process to re-align all the letters to the correct baseline?

metaphasebrothel - Thanks so much for your feedback. I do think the spacing is a touch too tight and will probably increase the bearings for the final version. Regarding the 'y'... could you be more specific about what it is you don't like?

I really appreciate all you your comments... thanks!

Steve

19/11/2013 à 17:34

explogos.com a dit  
Do you have experience using Type 3.2? If so, is it a simple process to re-align all the letters to the correct baseline?

Steve

Global/ Edit Actions / New
move 0 -448
Run Action /move /all glyphs / Run

19/11/2013 à 17:41

explogos.com a dit  
...metaphasebrothel - Thanks so much for your feedback. I do think the spacing is a touch too tight and will probably increase the bearings for the final version. Regarding the 'y'... could you be more specific about what it is you don't like?...

It's the flat section under the left stroke; it makes it look like the glyph is in two pieces.

The base line is off, as well. The glyph is entirely above the base line; some part of the tail should be below.

~bobistheowl

Fuseau horaire : CEST. Il est actuellement 01:37

Données personnelles  -  Contact