Pub de Thilanka

Forum

24 posts

Please help! Downloading fonts to Windows...

14/09/2010 à 17:25

I have download some fonts and unzipped them.

However, when I tried to install them, Windows always tell me something like " .ttf is currently in use,and is unable to be replaced. Please wait Windows stop using this file, and try again."

I tried to reboot my computer, but the problem cannot be solved. So please help me, thanks

p.s. I am using Windows XP

14/09/2010 à 17:43

do you try to install the font from the zip file, or the ttf file is somewhere else (like your desktop ?)

14/09/2010 à 17:59

I have unzipped it and I put the .ttf file in my documents...

Édité 2 fois. Dernière édition le 14/09/2010 à 17:59 par kelly_culo

14/09/2010 à 18:10

read this (it comes from the FAQ of dafont, by the way)

* Under Windows 7/Vista:
Select the font files (.ttf, .otf or .fon) then Right-click > Install

* Under any version of Windows:
Place the font files (.ttf, .otf or .fon) into the Fonts folder, usually C:\Windows\Fonts or C:\WINNT\Fonts
(can be reached as well by the Start Menu > Control Panel > Appearance and Themes > Fonts).

Note that with the internal unzip tool of Windows (unlike Winzip), you cannot install a font by a simple drag and drop of the .ttf from the zip window to the Fonts window. You must first drag and drop it anywhere (for example on the desktop) then into the Fonts folder.
You can also go through: File > Install a new font... in the Fonts folder menu then browse the fonts, instead of drag and drop the fonts into the window. Although this method is laborious, it would seem that it functions better in some cases.

14/09/2010 à 18:23

Sorry, but the same message appears :( I don't know what to do...

14/09/2010 à 18:44

hmmmm i'm sorry, if it doesn't work, i really don't know...

15/09/2010 à 00:31

kelly_culo, you don't put the font in My Documents. That's just a storage folder. You need to install it to be able to use it in programs.

If you open your Control Panel, you will see a folder called Fonts. This is the same place as opening My Computer -> Windows -> Fonts. Put the .ttf file in the Fonts folder, and it will be installed for use in programs.

15/09/2010 à 12:11

metaphasebrothel, yes, I have installed them. However, the message pops out, and this is the case :(

Édité le 15/09/2010 à 12:12 par kelly_culo

15/09/2010 à 12:52

kelly_culo, with which font(s) are you having problems? Is it possible that you already have a font with the same name installed, (the font name, not the file name)? In which program(s) are you trying to use the font(s)? Do they work properly in some programs, but not others? If you open the Fonts folder, can you open the font file(s) in preview, (ie: can you see "The quick brown fox..." at the different point sizes)? Did you have the font open in preview when you installed it? Did you change the name of the font file after it was installed?

I've never seen the error message you mentioned, so I'm thinking of possible reasons why you're having problems. The more information you can give us, the more likely it is that we can find a solution.

~bito

15/09/2010 à 13:09

and what's the version of you Windows OS ?

15/09/2010 à 13:30

daaams a dit  
and what's the version of you Windows OS ?

She already said she's using Win XP, in her first post.

15/09/2010 à 13:54

sorry i'm dumb ! =)
i'm also running XP and never experienced such a problem...
as metaphasebrothel said, you probably have a font with the same name already installed.

15/09/2010 à 13:58

Thanks so much, but I have tried to install fonts before and they work. But now, I don't know why, all of them don't work (the "message" appears every single time). They are all True Types and I can open the font files in preview (I see the quick brown fox) And I never changed their file name.... Thank you for all the help!

p.s. The error message " .ttf is currently in use,and is unable to be replaced. Please wait Windows stop using this file, and try again." is not its exact wordings. This is just its meaning, thanks.

15/09/2010 à 13:58

Oh and I have checked carefully, I did not repeat installing the fonts...

15/09/2010 à 14:23

kelly_culo, try opening your Task Manager, (Press and hold down the Ctrl key, then press and hold down the Alt key, then touch the Delete key, and release the Ctrl and Alt keys). Look to see if you have any font related applications running. If there are any, try to close them by selecting the application, and clicking the End Task button, (you may have to do 'End Task' more than once, before it closes.

It would also be helpful if you could tell us which font(s) are causing problems for you. Is it all of your installed fonts, or only ones you have installed recently?

20/09/2011 à 01:46

I had the same problem and what you need to do is unclick the "copy fonts to folder option" then it will work!!! hope this helps

16/12/2011 à 02:51

I had the same problem as well, these blogetties have been vry helpful-- however, i am at a loss as to the location of this "Copy Fonts to Folder" option-- please inform me and help me eliminate my current confusion.

16/12/2011 à 03:01

Please help me!!! I unchecked that box (copy fonts to fonts folder) but it wont let me press OK on the dialog box! it only lets me press close and then the box is still checked!

21/12/2011 à 15:18

too bad

21/12/2011 à 21:43

vinz a dit  
too bad

but could be / should be worse

Fuseau horaire : CET. Il est actuellement 13:33

Données personnelles  -  Contact