Forum

149 posts    Identified fonts

Posts by toto@k22

Feb 09, 2016 at 19:51  [reply]  pb impression typo

Vertical metrics of Manquis CP is good and should not be displaying clipped glyphs in Word. Is the OP in Windows?

It might be a setting in Word but I can't replicate the problem. Manquis worked perfectly fine in my old MS Office Word 2007.

That is only applicable to Lost Type fonts.

Get in touch with the font author/designer and ask them what they consider personal use and what is not.

Jan 20, 2016 at 09:48  [reply]  What is wrong with my font?

What web based font creator did you use?
Perhaps Help/FAQ pages of that site might tell you the answers

It is hard to imagine what might be wrong in your font. If you did what were suggested here and nothing helped, a look at that font will likely help.

That is your font and what you do with it is your privilege and choice.

Edited on Jan 20, 2016 at 11:01 by toto@k22

I also saw the same problem in Wordpad when I downloaded and installed the font. I regenerated the font in Fontlab and reinstalled the font and it worked without problems.

I suggest that you get in touch with the font author and let them know about the problem.

In what program does that problem occurs? In Word? What version?

I think everyone here mentioned possible causes of the problem/solutions. It is hard to imagine what is in that font, so seeing the font would help a lot. You mentioned that it is a font that you created. Is it by any chance already available at Dafont or somewhere? What's the URL? I am assuming it is a free font.

Jan 12, 2016 at 20:13  [reply]  Software for creating fonts

There is always some learning to do with new programs. How you adapt to a program is on a person to person basis. Some may take to the program quickly while others will take some more time to learn how to use it. Still there will be those who would give up on a program.

At the price range, I still say FontForge is the best in terms of price and capability.

If ease of use is a primary consideration, no one can beat those free web based font creators. Just draw your font on paper, scan it and feed it to the font generator. No hassle. No learning curve. No installation. You do not learn anything, you won't know anything. The bottom line is you have your own font regardless of quality.

Jan 12, 2016 at 18:15  [reply]  Software for creating fonts

I am going for Claude's favorite font editor at a very affordable $0

https://fontforge.github.io/en-US/

jcarlson6 said  
submitting fonts here on dafont means that font creators are leaving 'personal use' to be defined by the user.

If there is such a condition here at Dafont, I have not seen it.

If that is your personal opinion, it shows that you have little respect for the people who make fonts.

LooneyTunerIan said  
Rights or not, it was still my request.

And right now, I'm requesting it to be take down.

And if no one likes it, ban me from the site.

Did you know that more than half of the fonts I have here at Dafont were done based on requests and I was provided specimen for those fonts? Automation, Athenian Wide, Plural, Gadget, Monastic, Timbuctu, Lucifer, Eclair, Xanthus, etc... The persons who requested them knew that they do not have any right to those fonts. Once I made the font, it became mine unless there is a prior agreement. But for a free font, I retain all the rights.

If I was that person and you asked me to take it down, it is not going to happen.

LooneyTunerIan said  
toto@k22 said  
LooneyTunerIan said  
To give it a better look, obviously.

I've already asked the font author to remove it.

Why would you do that?

Because I no longer want it up.

I'm asking for a newer and improved font. That's why I've posted the Font Sheet on my dA website.

Assuming that Woodcutter Vintage Cartoon was done on your request using a specimen that you made, Woodcutter still owns the font and have every right over the font. If I were him I will ignore your request because you do not have any right over that font. The only exception is that if you paid him to do it and you retained exclusive rights.

What were the conditions between you and Woodcutter for that font? I doubt that there was any other turn the specimen into a font.

LooneyTunerIan said  
To give it a better look, obviously.

I've already asked the font author to remove it.

Why would you do that?

Woodcutter Vintage Cartoon and the one in your specimen are not the same. There are just too many differences and hardly have any similarities. They just have similar look and feel and I am stretching the meaning of the term when I used it to describe the fonts.

Honestly, the caps of your specimen is not good. Some are too heavy compared to the others. Based on samples shown on that page, the letters are all weighted the same. The original specimens are also missing the numbers and these letters L Q V W a f g h j k l m n o p q s u v w x z People who might do this probably prefers to see original specimen rather than your interpretation of the specimen. Working from original specimens means lesser deviations.

As far as taking requests is concerned, there is no obligation for anyone to accept requests. You should be thankful that people will take your request but calling them names because they are not willing to do what you asked them to do is I think not nice. People, for reasons of their own, also have the right to change their minds especially that this is done for free.

If you really want this done, why not ask people to do it for you for a fee. If you can reach an agreement with that person, you can have the font done the way you want it.

BTW if this is a font, look for someone who have catalogs of photo/film types - Filmotype, Letraset, etc. They might find it there.

Dec 05, 2015 at 07:58  [reply]  Tennessee Volunteers Power T

You are welcome

Dec 05, 2015 at 03:40  [reply]  Tennessee Volunteers Power T

Something like this?

http://nekaka.com/d/BePUnZtztF

Nov 30, 2015 at 04:23  [reply]  Fontlab Line Spacing!

koeiekat said  
toto@k22 said  

Just like everything else, it is a matter of getting used to. Fontlab is very easy to use.

But has a (very) steep learning curve

It is the first font editor that I got hold of and liked it. I even found it intuitive. I do not know about the steep learning curve but I did not notice it. I learned how to use Fontlab by actually using it and learned new things as I go along. I can't draw in Illustrator but I can draw in Fontlab. Anyway, I am not an artist just someone who likes to mess around with fonts.

However, I might have a different opinion if I learned to use another font editor first, like Font Creator or Fontographer or FontForge. What sometimes make things complicated with using a new program is when you start looking for something you were used to doing in another program. If you do not carry that extra baggage, learning a new program will probably be easier.

Nov 29, 2015 at 17:43  [reply]  Fontlab Line Spacing!

- the concept of font height is more complicated but one can grasp the way Fontlab has implemented it

Although you can't do this to all fonts, keeping the sum of the extreme points of the tallest and lowest structures in the font not to exceed the UPM will help make your font behave better when used with other fonts.

Your line spacing is controlled by the vertical metrics. Go to to FontInfo -> Metrics -> TrueType specific metrics and set the correct values there. Clicking the recalculate button will make things easier for you. The settings here are also applied to OTF fonts.

- the concept of scaling a font in fontlab is non-existent - its all buried in mumbo jumbo

I am not sure if I got this right but you can scale a glyph or an entire font in Fontlab. Tools -> Action -> Contour -> Scale will do that but you might be referring to something else. There is another way to scale glyphs but it would be better if we don't make it complicated.

(and why is fontlab so complicated ?)

Just like everything else, it is a matter of getting used to. Fontlab is very easy to use.

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Nov 29, 2015 at 17:45 by toto@k22

Oct 17, 2015 at 09:12  [reply]  What happened to my font?

ManuSanzDesign said  
Anyway I would like to ask again if my font it's going to be released.

Acceptance of font submission at Dafont is not automatic. Someone here looks at the font and is only accepted after evaluation. You will receive an email if it is accepted.

Did you submit your font on or after October 12? If you did, nothing has been added yet to Dafont since that date. Check the date at http://www.dafont.com/new.php often for when new fonts were added. If you see that the site was updated after October 12 and you have not received an acceptance email, go to http://www.dafont.com/profile.php?user=2 and send a private message. Ask them what is wrong with your font so that you can fix the problem and resubmit the font. And when you do that means another waiting game for you.

Sep 22, 2015 at 07:36  [reply]  Similar font

ArinaChan said  
Well, it's not unicode... it can't write letters like ě, which I need

You wouldn't be able to know if a font has Central or Eastern European characters here at Dafont unless that is indicated in the author's notes. Dafont only documents the characters in the Latin-1 code page.

Baar Sophia only has a Latin 1 character set but none of the Central or East European characters. The term "not unicode" is not correct because a Unicode is properly assigned to all glyphs/characters in the font. The font just does not have the characters you need.

All times are CET. The time is now 13:55

Ad by somepx
Privacy Policy  -  Contact