Forum

58 posts    Identified fonts

Posts by toto@k22

Jun 06, 2014 at 05:32  [reply]  Vertically compressed font for Excel

What you wanted done is to decrease the line height. Since you mentioned adjustment for leading is not available in Excel, then you have to find another font or modify the line height of the current font. You can play with the fonts vertical metrics to get that done. I am not fond of touching other people's fonts so I could not help you on that matter.

BTW this will work fine on a Mac but will likely result to cropped ascenders and/or descenders and missing accents in Windows. I am on Windows so I do not know how MS programs behave on a Mac.

May 30, 2014 at 05:52  [reply]  How long for a font to be published?

Remember when you submitted your font?

If you do, go here http://www.dafont.com/new.php and see if fonts had been approved at least a day after you submitted your font. If that is the case, then your font was not accepted. Send dafont (http://www.dafont.com/profile.php?user=2) a private message asking clarification for the non-acceptance of your font.

If the date new fonts were added was on or at least a day before you submitted your font, then wait and check form time to time the new fonts page for new additions to the site. There is no set number of days for evaluation. It is on a best effort basis as people evaluating the fonts have also other concerns to attend to.

You should also consider time zones when checking for dates. I think Dafont is GMT+1, not really sure about that but near that.

You do not have fonts on this so no one could really see the problem. But kerning might solve your problem. The problem is that I do not know if all Linux apps you are using use kerning data.

Have you thought about kerning the font rather than setting character width to zero.

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:36  [initial post]  Font Aid VII: The Philippines

The Society of Typographic Aficionados is organizing Font Aid VII — a project uniting the typographic and design communities to raise funds for Philippine Red Cross relief efforts after the events of Typhoon Haiyan (known as Typhoon Yolanda in the Philippines.)

For those who might be interested to participate in this project, please visit http://www.typesociety.org/fontaid/vii/call/ for more details.

May 24, 2013 at 17:24  [reply]  Acid font missing characters?

claudeserieux said  (view post)
Adobe & OTMaster: order glyph is incorrect.

I don't think glyph ordering has any effect in the usability of a font, but as you mentioned glyphs that are not Unicode mapped and misnamed glyphs do.

May 24, 2013 at 16:51  [reply]  Regarding updating

_53L3C74_53L3C74 said  (view post)
And thanks for the ballpark figure.

Your new font/update is usually acted within 24 hours if you submit on Monday to Thursday. That is not a rule but is usually the case based on the fonts I submitted here.

Give the person/s who do this some free time to attend to real life concerns outside of dafont - especially on weekends.

May 24, 2013 at 10:21  [reply]  Acid font missing characters?

FunnyCostume said  (view post)
It doesn't explain how Adobe apps are able to display it in what seems to be the same style as the rest of the characters.

Adobe apps use its own font engine, other programs, like MS Word, use the Windows font engine.

May 05, 2013 at 11:43  [reply]  So it's been 2 days...

Look at the date when new fonts were last added to the site.

If you submitted the font on or after that date, your font is still being "considered."

If you submitted the font a day or more before the last site update, then send the site owner a private message and ask why your font was not accepted. Do not forget to tell him what that particular font is.

Edited on May 05, 2013 at 11:54 by toto@k22

I set my own rules as far as my fonts are concerned. There is no protocol as far as what "personal use only" should be interpreted. Each font author has his own interpretation of what "perosnal use" means -- meaning whatever interpretaions others made about the term "personal use" DO NOT apply to my fonts.

As far as I am concerned, if you do not directly or indirectly make money from anything where you used the font, that's personal use. However, when you publish that work, regrardless of whether you directly or indirectly profit from it or not, the use of the font is no longer personal.

If you are going to publish a work that you will not indirectly or directly profit, get in touch with the font author and clear the matter with him/her. Make full disclosure of how you are going to use the font and do not cloak it in generalities as if you are trying to hide something. Of course you can skip this if a terms of use and/or EULA was included in the distribution. If I am the author of that font, I will likely not ask you to cough up $$$ but I will really appreciate knowing how the font is used.

To somehow illustrate this, I was asked permission to use K22 Spiral Swash for an entry in a tshirt design competition, I allowed him free use and with best wishes from me. I was asked for the use of Anabel for a self published book, I allowed free use even if I knew that she will profit from the sale of the book. I allow free use even in cases where I know the font is used on something the user will profit. What is important is that you communicate with me and state clearly how you are going to use the font. Howerver, when it comes to graphics and ad agencies, it is non-negotiable - pay or don't use the font.

=====================
You are correct in saying that you can use fonts that are tagged as "Free" for commercial use wihtout any obligation to the author. However, if you directly profit from the use of that "free" font, I am encouraging you to make a donation to the author of the font if that author has a donation button turned on here at Dafont or on other sites. Even if the font is tagged as "public domain" or "open license" a donation will be appreciated by that author if he/she enabled the donate button her at Dafont. You will find "public domain" and "open license" fonts here at Dafont that are compatible in quality to commercial fonts.

Donations for free, public domain, open license and personal use only fonts here at Dafont come in in trickles. You are very very wrong if you think that font authors make money from free fonts. I am not disappointed with it. I did not make free fonts to profit it. I did not even know that you can earn loose change from free fonts until about 2 years ago.

I am quoting Perry Mason's reply in full

"
I am out of the font world now. I stopped making fonts about 4 months ago.
They are welcome to do what every they like with no restrictions.
"

@shanysaloniko I PMed you something in case you needed some confirmation but please keep it private

Edited on Mar 29, 2013 at 14:40 by toto@k22

Perry Mason was in the newsgroup a few days ago. I will let him know about this message.

Mar 23, 2013 at 13:33  [reply]  WOFF and CSS font-face

Show your @font-face declarations - the one that worked and the one that didn't.

Google sniffs your browser and serves the appropriate webfont for that browser. If it presents ony the WOFF is because that is the webfont format that your browser needs. It will serve other formats when necessary.

I am guessing that your problem is with the location of the webfont.

AFAIK font weight: 400 is normal.

Maelle.K said  (view post)
koeiekat said  (view post)
Is that so?

yes, when i start export directly from AI-->FontC i lose lot of details

What do you mean by loss of details?

Are you referring to distortions on the imported outlines? If that is so, you can't help it unless the drawing in AI was prepared specifically for a font. Even so, it is not a surefire answer to distortions. It happens in all font editors - FontForge, Fontlab, Fontographer, Glyphs, etc.

Mar 04, 2013 at 18:22  [reply]  Not working!!

It might be something from my end because it still happened a minute ago. I am on a wired connection.

Thanks.

I am guessing but something might had been modified during the conversion from desktop to webfont.

If only IE will render a TTF, you could have used the desktop TTF in your site. I checked up to the version of IE that was bundled with Vista (IE9?) amd it doesn't work.

If you have access to a Mac, a time limited public beta of TransType 4 is available for download at Fontlab. I have not checked if it is still available this month but it was last month. I don't have it because I am using Windows and why I am using Font Squirrel.

Why don't you try other sites that do conversions to webfont. I think there are others there that also provide that service for free.

Mar 03, 2013 at 18:39  [reply]  Not working!!

For the site admin or the mods, I am on a desktop and tried to download Grantham. I tried it on two browsers with the same resilt - the download terminated after 20+ KB without receiving an error. Got it instead from typoasis.

My bad.

The line

src('champagne_limousines.ttf')

should be

src:url('champagne_limousines.ttf')

There shouldn't be a space between "url" and "("

Sorry

Gabriella77 said  (view post)

Hmm, yeah , your code could work, but right now it doesnŽt. I think theres two mistakes. Isnt the first one that there has to be one more "}" somewhere since there are 3 right now?

True. What happened is that Dafont converted the ; and } to a smiley

Noticed that I only used the "font-family" and "src", do not worry about the other properties. The @font-face will work with just those two. It is advisable to use all defined properties that are in the CSS file that was provided by Font Squirrel.

Gabriella77 said  (view post)

And also, isnt there supposed to be ";" after FONT-FAMILY:xxxx . IŽm not sure cause Im no skilled programmer, but right now it does not work. If you could just give me a hint as to where these should fit in IŽll give it a go! Appreciate it!

True, also. A bad habit on my part. Since "font-family" is the last property of body that is being declared, you can can leave out the ";" but it is good practice to end all properties with a ";".

What made it not work is the missing : and } at the end of @font-face

I'd like to know how the desktop font comes out for you -- whether it resolved the font issue or not.

Edited on Mar 02, 2013 at 18:19 by toto@k22

All times are CEST. The time is now 20:37

Ad by tipografialeone
Privacy Policy  -  Contact