Forum

628 posts    Identified fonts    Requests only

Posts by metaphasebrothel

leenisabel, this is what the c - 0099 glyph looks like in the Pole Dance font:

If your copyrighted artwork substantially resembles THIS image, you might have a case. If the image above looks 'a little' like your artwork, you would not. No law is broken, when someone creates a vector 'inspired' by an existing piece of artwork. You may want to do some research on the "Fair Use" provision in American copyright law. The case of Associated Press vs. Shepard Fairey is a similar situation, in which Fairey created drawings based on an Associated Press photograph of Barrack Obama.

If Woodcutter downloaded a picture that you posted on the Internet, and made a font vector from that, and does not charge for its use, I don't believe that he has broken any law.

~bobistheowl

Dec 11, 2013 at 21:47  [reply]  font search

There's a search field at the top of every DaFont browser window, at upper right. You can search by font name, or by the name of the designer/ foundry. Type in what your searching for, then click the button called "Search".

Try Martin Vogel's Symbols, http://www.dafont.com/martin-vogels-symb.font, or the Mac equivalent of the Windows standard fonts Wingdings 1, 2 & 3.

Try the e-mail address on the designer's profile page, aurilianlk@gmail.com

Many 1990s era fonts made with Fontographer have rectangles for the glyph when there's no image - check the character map for Fantasy Clipart 2, http://www.dafont.com/fantasy-clipart2.font to see what I mean.

For alternatives among fonts available on DaFont, try browsing through the 21 pages in the Dingbats -> Shapes Theme: http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=710 Most of the fonts in Dingbats -> Shapes aren't what you're looking for, but if there's something here that would suit your purpose, that's where you'd find it.

~bobistheowl

Dec 03, 2013 at 00:26  [reply]  Typical font approval time?

Steve, the Webmaster at DaFont does a number of things, before posting new submissions:

1) Judges whether the quality of the font is up to site standards.

2) Checks to make sure that the glyphs are in the correct positions.

3) Checks to see if the font causes any problems with any of a number of different operating systems.

4) Checks to make sure that the font is not a 'knock off' of a previously copyrighted design.

5) Other checking that I don't know about.

New fonts are posted in batches. If a lot of fonts, (or very few), are submitted in a specific period of time, this can affect how promptly new submissions are posted. In addition, priorities in life and previous commitments can also affect how quickly new submissions are processed by the Webmaster. A few years ago, new fonts were processed every 3-5 weeks.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:35  [reply]  help with 2 fonts please

Actually, it doesn't look like they used and altered a BeautyMarks glyph. This is the .jpeg source I used for BeautyMarks:

So I guess I enhanced the ass, rather than they made it smaller. I modified a smaller version of this picture for the font:

(my resized and manually traced original source graphic for the font, composed for monochrome).

and I suppose I enhanced the bum, in the font editor, as artistic license. There's probably a vector on which the .jpeg is based, and they probably used that. There's much less detail to the hair, in my version. There's only so much detail you can add, when the palette is 280 pixels high.

~bito

Nov 26, 2013 at 09:58  [reply]  help with 2 fonts please

I don't recognize the text, but the picture is the lower case p from BeautyMarks http://www.dafont.com/beautymarks.font, with a smaller ass.

~bobistheowl

Edited on Nov 26, 2013 at 10:02 by metaphasebrothel

explogos.com said  (view post)
...metaphasebrothel - Thanks so much for your feedback. I do think the spacing is a touch too tight and will probably increase the bearings for the final version. Regarding the 'y'... could you be more specific about what it is you don't like?...

It's the flat section under the left stroke; it makes it look like the glyph is in two pieces.

The base line is off, as well. The glyph is entirely above the base line; some part of the tail should be below.

~bobistheowl

Not, bad, Steve. You've done a good job with the letter spacing, which most designers don't get right, the first time. I think you should modify the lower case y.

Actually, Baville, the irregularities don't make you font somewhat unique. They make your font the same as every other rough edged hand printed alphabet that isn't edited after the source graphics are imported.

Your font isn't terrible, for a first effort. It could, however, have been better, and we'll expect that from your next one.

~bito

The definition of Free for Personal Use, ('FFPU'), varies from designer to designer in most cases, it distils to this 'if you intend to make some money from using the font, the designer expects to be compensated'.

For some designers, the font available for download on DaFont is, effectively, an advertisement for the full featured version; it may have fewer glyphs, or there may be physical restrictions on how the font can be used, usually in the embedding settings, (ie: you might be able to use the FFPU version in a Microsoft Word document, but you might not be able to print the document).

In most FFPU fonts, there is a specified fee for any commercial use. In some cases, the fee is dependent on how the font is to be used commercially, (ie: it might be free to use to advertise a performance by an unsigned band, but a fee would apply, if the font was used for titles on their CD or concert memorabilia). Some other fonts are Donationware, in which case, the amount one pays is variable, in accordance with the user's ability to pay, like a collection plate in a house of religious worship.

A library earns income, but only in nickels and dimes for books returned late, and not nearly enough to cover their costs. At the same time, however, this would not be strictly personal use, like if a student used a font for a homework essay, or someone prints notices for a lost cat. Without knowing which font(s) you're considering using, there's no way to give you a definitive answer.

It looks like most designers' first font. You stuck your toe in the water, but didn't swim. It's no better, nor worse, than a thousand other hand printed alphabets.

The large number of glyphs is a nice touch. Technically, it's about average for a free font from a first time designer. It would look a lot better if you edited the glyphs in your font editor; there are too many unnecessary nodes, which make the lines too rough. I don't use FontCreator, but you should be able to right-click on a node, and delete it. Less is more applies to the nodes that define your contours.

What the M looks like:

What the M looks like, after two minutes of editing:

~bobistheowl

Nov 16, 2013 at 23:11  [reply]  Fonts for Commercial Use

osholene said  (view post)
Hello, thanks for your response again. I sent my first email to webmaster@dafont.com. Please how can I access the font, "chams" by Tom Tor.

Thank you.

Contact information for Tom Tor, author of Chams, is contained on his profile page:

http://www.dafont.com/profile.php?user=183591

and another contact e-mail address is on his site, http://tomtor.com, and in the Note of the author for his font Khmer, one of his three other fonts. This information was obtained without leaving DaFont. You should have been able to figure that out yourself, osholene.

Mod helps those who help themselves.

Menhir said  (view post)
And try to disable the Windows option "hide the extensions" (I don't know how to do that with W7) to know exactly the type of files that you use.

Hidden file extensions make it easier to rename files. Most people can recognize a file type by the icon.

Nov 09, 2013 at 19:19  [reply]  What's that font pleaaase

Suggested font: Clementine Sketch

Alduin's Khajiit said  (view post)
nope, wrong again! just alt prntscrn

Try using the screenshot capture feature in VLC Media Player. It will save a .png image in your My Pictures folder with the same sized dimensions as your video file. It's very possible that you did not enlarge the image manually, but alt prntscrn may have, automatically. When I did screen captures using [b}ATI File Player[/b], it always saved the image as a 24 bit bitmap, with 1024 x 768 dimensions, regardless of the actual dimensions of the video being captured.

Oct 27, 2013 at 07:01  [reply]  Can I Use This?

HaajaSparx, Astigmatic One Eye Font Foundry released a large number of both Free and Shareware fonts from 1996 to 2004. Haunt AOE is one of the free fonts. Go ahead and use it for your book.

Here is the text of the 1997 and 1998 AOE read me documents. Keep in mind the text was written a long time ago, so the contact information is unlikely to be current. The terms for commercial use apply to the shareware fonts:

Freeware, and Purchasable Fonts Galore
(c)1998 by Astigmatic One Eye Foundry

The Freeware Font(s) included in this pack were created by Astigmatic One
Eye Font Foundry, (aka Brian J. Bonislawsky - Astigma). Since November
5th, 1996, I have been creating fonts and offering them on the web to
the public. Since then I have strived to create a full range of fonts,
from the bizarre to the sometimes nearing traditional, from picture fonts
to utility fonts, and I will continue to do so for a long time to come.
All Astigmatic One Eye Fonts are available in Truetype format for the
Macintosh and PC compatibles, (Postscript Type 1 can be made available
upon request).

After my first year on the web, I have over 70 fonts available online
for viewing, download or purchase. If you use my Freeware fonts don't
forget to check out what's available for purchase, after all, without
your support I will be unable to the time to offer you my free fonts
almost every month. Any $10 or more font purchase will get the full
version of that particular font in whatever format best suits your
needs, (Postscript, or TrueType), and also a full copy of one of my
bonus fonts collection, some of my freeware fonts, and trial versions
of some of my latest releases. Be sure to check out my full variety
of fonts, always growing.

Visit A.O.E. at: http://www.astigmatic.com/
or send e-mail to: astigma@astigmatic.com

You're welcome to pass the Freeware version of this font along for
others to review, as long as this document is also included in the
transfer. Many thanks for your consideration.

Please do not include this font on any CD-Roms without written consent
from AOE. This font is not to be resold or remarketed. This font is
free to use in any private manner. If you plan to use this font
commercially in any manner please contact AOE concerning this for
terms of commericial use. Thank you.

All Rights Reserved by Astigmatic One Eye, 1998.

Brian J. Bonislawsky
astigma@astigmatic.com
Astigmatic One Eye Font Foundry
412 NW 187th St
N. Miami, FL 33169
=====================================================================
http://www.astigmatic.com/

Freeware, Shareware, and Purchasable Fonts Galore
(c)1997 by Astigmatic One Eye Fonts

The Freeware Fonts included in this pack were created by Astigmatic One Eye Font Foundry. Since November of '97 we have been striving to create more high quality fonts, sometimes serious, sometimes bizarre, always interesting, and atleast 1 new FREEWARE font EVERY MONTH! Available for Macintosh and Windows PC in TrueType format.

We have over 50 fonts available online for viewing and download or purchase. If you download our Freeware fonts don't forget to check out what's available for purchase, after all, without your support we will be unable to offer you our free fonts EVERY MONTH. Any $10 font registration and purchase will get the full version of that particular font in whatever format best suits your needs, (Postscript, or TrueType.), and also a full copy of one of our special freebie with purchase fonts, some of our freeware fonts, and trial versions of some of our latest releases. Be sure to check out our full variety of fonts, always growing.

Visit A.O.E. at: http://www.comptechdev.com/cavop/aoe/
or send e-mail to: astigma@comptechdev.com

You're welcome to pass the Freeware version of this font along for others to review, as long as this document is also included in the transfer. Many thanks for your consideration.

Please do not include this font on any CD-Roms without written consent from AOE. This font is not to be resold or remarketed. This font is free to use in any private manner. If you plan to use this font commercially in any manner please contact AOE concerning this.
Thank you.

All Rights Reserved by Astigmatic One Eye & CAV OP Studiosİ.

Brian J. Bonislawsky
astigma@comptechdev.com
412 NW 187th St
N. Miami, FL 33169
===========================================================================================
http://www.comptechdev.com/cavop/aoe/

Astigmatic One Eye Font Foundry Order Form

Full Name ______________________________________________________
Company ________________________________________________________
Address ________________________________________________________
Address (cont.) ________________________________________________
City _______________ State ___ ZIP _________ Country ___________
E-mail Address _________________________________________________
Please send me ____________ copies of ____________________ font.
Please also send me my 1 Bonus font* ________________________.
*(see Ordering & Deals Info http://www.astigmatic.com/aoeff/order.html)
Font Platform: () Macintosh or () Windows/PC
Font Format: () TrueType and/or () Postscript Type 1
Font Cost: $____________
Shipping and Handling per order
(U.S./Canada $2.00, others $3.00): $____________
TOTAL: $____________

() Check enclosed () Money Order Enclosed () Cash Enclosed*
*(Astigmatic One Eye Foundry takes no responsibility for cash lost in mail)
*(make all checks out to "Brian J. Bonislawsky", thank you.)

Signature: _____________________________________________________

Please send your order to: Brian J. Bonislawsky
Astigmatic One Eye Foundry (A.O.E.F.)
412 NW 187th St.
N. Miami, FL 33169 USA

You will be notified via e-mail when your order is recieved and when it's sent out to you.
For my personal records or in a sense resume, please inform me of any website or publications
usage of Astigmatic Fonts. I am always interested in seeing how and where they are being used.

Thank you.
Brian J. Bonislawsky
astigma@astigmatic.com
===========================================================================================
http://www.astigmatic.com/aoeff/

~bobistheowl

Menhir said  (view post)
Some are very heavy (in term of Kb)... too heavy... So heavy that's impossible to use correctly.
It's the problem with some font created just with a conversion from scan without control and optimisation.

I think you should let someone who uses a Mac operating system answer this. The font is not overyly 'heavy', (382 kb), and it was not "created just with a conversion from scan".

The font works fine with Windows. I have no way to test it, for Mac.

~bobistheowl, (designer of ObeyPatterns)

Oct 14, 2013 at 17:18  [reply]  Looking for Empire

All times are CEST. The time is now 19:07

Ad by paintblack
Privacy Policy  -  Contact