Ad by glub

Forum

831 posts    Identified fonts    Requests only

Posts by metaphasebrothel

Sep 04, 2010 at 01:27  [reply]  What's this Font?

It looks like custom lettering to me. It would be difficult to connect an i or an o to the k in a font.

Sep 04, 2010 at 01:24  [reply]  What font is this?

I hope someone can identify this one. it looks awesome, with or without the shadows.

Sep 04, 2010 at 01:18  [reply]  School of Rock Font?

@ aeroberator: I think it was assumed that you and "chumak" and/or "school of rock" from the abstactfonts forum post are the same person. Your last post indicates that this is not the case. I think it's unreasonable to expect someone to be familiar with discussions on another site's message board. Keep in mind, though that forum moderators can see the IP addresses of people who post on message boards, and I think there is one person who is a mod on both sites, (it's not someone who has posted in this thread).

~bito, (one of several dafont forum mods).

Sep 04, 2010 at 00:45  [reply]  KAT VON D FONT

tophy52 said  
I wish i was a tattooed font named "Hollywood" in another future life !
I'd get closer to HER!!

Not with THAT face.

Sep 03, 2010 at 14:43  [reply]  School of Rock Font?

@ aeroberator: All the help you can get on any Internet message board is in that thread on abstractfonts. Probably the best way to solve your problem would be to hire Jim Parkinson to do the lettering for you. If someone else did it, Jim would have grounds for a lawsuit. Fonts have limitations. Royal Acidbath is as close as you're going to get.

K Wilson said  
...i'm new to this, i know the fonts say 'free' but how do i know which ones i can use for commercial use???

K Wilson, you can use ALL of the fonts on dafont commercially, IF you purchase a license for the ones that are identified as "free for personal use" or "shareware".

In the download .zip for the fonts that are "free for personal use" or shareware, the terms of use should be set out in a text document of some sort, (ie: .txt, .doc, or .pdf file type, depending on the designer's preference). In a small number of cases, the terms of use may be listed in a graphic, or possibly in the font header, (the information in between the name of the font and the character display, when you open the font in preview).

Usually the terms of use are in a document titled "read me", "license" or "lisez-moi", (if the designer is French). These documents or graphics are almost always included with the font(s) in the .zip file. Note that, just because a font contains a "read me" document, it doesn't necessarily mean that you need to purchase a license to use the font commercially. It depends on what information the designer was chosen to include in the "read me". Sometimes it just says 'thanks for downloading my font', and the e-mail address or home page of the designer may be included. Many of the licenses for the 'shareware' or 'free for personal use' fonts are quite inexpensive, when compared to professional/commercial fonts sold at sites like myfonts.

~bito

Aug 31, 2010 at 04:24  [reply]  Plagiarism Sources/Fonts

koeiekat, I didn't see anywhere on the tatipixel site where fonts are being sold. All of the fonts listed in Appaloosa's post are either free, free for personal use, or shareware. The use of those hallowe'en fonts on the page backgrounds of the third link would, in my opinion, fall under the personal use provision. I didn't see anything in the articles for sale that used any of those referenced fonts. I think this is just a disguised spamming to get people to visit the tatipixel site, and Appaloosa is the shill.

mamlol, there are a number of threads in the dafontforums relating to questions from people who want to learn how to make fonts. I recommend that you look at the names of the threads in the 'Technical questions', 'Font discussion', and 'Other' forums. You really should have done that first, before starting a new thread with the same question that others have already asked. You'll probably find that most, if not all, of your basic questions have already been answered.

You should concentrate on threads that are related to making fonts, and threads dealing with font creation software. For example, in 'Font discussions', You should read the threads described as "Which program best for making a font?", "Creating a font?", and "How do you make fonts?". You can find, (yourself), other threads about first time font making in 'Technical Questions' and "other'. If you have questions NOT already answered in those other threads, that would be the time to ask for SPECIFIC instructions, and the proper place to do that would be in the 'Technical Qustions' forum.

~bobistheowl

Aug 29, 2010 at 01:04  [reply]  Trying to Find a font

This may not be an exact match, but you could try Lobster by Pablo Impallari:

http://luc.devroye.org/impallari.html

This is a great free Open Type font. Pablo's font is hosted by Luc Devroye on his On Snot and Fonts pages, (see the link at the bottom of each page on dafont).

Pablo's homepage has a detailed timeline of the steps he took to make this font:

http://www.impallari.com/lobster/

Identified font: Lobster

Edited on Dec 01, 2012 at 11:56 by dafont

Jey, on your 'My account' link, where you can check the daily and cumulative download totals, there's also a link next to each font, if it has one or more comments. If you click the comments links, they will bring you directly to the page with the comments for those fonts.

Judging by the quality and popularity of your work, I'm sure you have many more comments than most designers. When it comes to download numbers, I think you and Billy A. are in one class, and the rest of us are a few laps back. Keep up the good work!

~bito

Oops, Gyom Séguin/Last Soundtrack is right up there, as well.

Edited on Aug 29, 2010 at 11:31 by metaphasebrothel

A piece of cheese, two wooden shoes, and a tulip to the kat.

Aug 25, 2010 at 23:05  [reply]  Donation Help

FullerFonts, you don't 'post' fonts on dafont. You submit them, and the webmaster decides if they will be made available on the site. Typically, new batches of fonts are posted every five weeks or so, and those designers who have one or more of their fonts posted in a new batch will receive an e-mail confirming their inclusion, usually on the same day that the new fonts are posted.

~bito

Aug 24, 2010 at 19:16  [reply]  Do you know font this is?

Sorry, but (You Can't Get No) "Satisfaction", to paraphrase Mick Jagger!

Aug 24, 2010 at 18:38  [reply]  Do you know font this is?

Nice work, tophy52 and koeiekat. You did a lot with a little.

Aug 23, 2010 at 22:54  [reply]  Do you know font this is?

tophy52, she only wants to know the font for the large word "Mine". The 'Taylor Swift' font is, I believe, Satisfaction by Andrew Leman.

I don't think she cares about the small lettering.

Edited on Aug 23, 2010 at 23:10 by metaphasebrothel

Aug 23, 2010 at 19:41  [reply]  Mali Standard SILDoulos

You could try this page:
http://www.panafril10n.org/wikidoc/pmwiki.php/PanAfrLoc/Soninke

Or some of the other links on this Metacrawler results page for "Mali font"

http://www.metacrawler.com/metacrawler/ws/results/Web/mali%20font/1/417/TopNavigation/Relevance/iq=true/zoom=off/_iceUrlFlag=7?_IceUrl=true

You could also send an e-mail to Luc Devroye at his gmail address, (see the On snot and fonts link at the bottom of each page on dafont). Luc's contact information is listed at the bottom of the page accessed by the dafont link).

Luc is the Internet's foremost authority on fonts and typography. He would be in a position to let you know if there is a Mali SIL Doulos font, and if so, he may send you a copy, if you tell him why you need it, and ask politely. I did a quick search through the African themed fonts section of Luc's site, but I didn't find it. If it's not a free font, however, he definitely won't send you a copy. He isn't Santa Claus, so he wouldn't oblige all requests for fonts, but he is an Academic, (Professor of Computer Sciences), so he may help out with an academically themed font.

Edited 4 times. Last edit on Aug 24, 2010 at 19:12 by metaphasebrothel

Aug 23, 2010 at 03:31  [reply]  Who wants new Fonts?

Thanks, onemiguel03. Sure, upload some new fonts, I'll download them. BTW, I prefer TicTacToe over One Miguel Shaded, even though it has fewer downloads. We'll be expecting your technical skills to have improved for the next batch.

~bito

I'm with koeiekat in endorsing the the trial version of FontCreator. A 30 day, fully functional app for free is a lot more than FontLab offers. If I recall correctly, the trail versions of the Fontlab programs distort every other glyph when you generate a font. The full version is also significantly less expensive to buy than any of the FontLab apps. I don't use it myself, but I have a copy, and it should be enough to make amateur and semi professional fonts, for most people.

Aug 22, 2010 at 21:02  [reply]  Who wants new Fonts?

Don't tease us, son.

Aug 21, 2010 at 09:28  [reply]  Mali Standard SILDoulos

This is the best link I could find for you:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=EncCnvtrs

If it's not on that page, there may be a link on that page to where you might find it. If you do find it, however, my guess is that it will be in Tex format, of which I know nothing.

If it's any consolation, I don't think any of the other teams in the Treasure Hunt will get that one, either. Try to find the aglet, the Batman Pez dispenser, and the pen with orange coloured ink instead.

All times are CEST. The time is now 10:24

Privacy Policy  -  Contact