Ad by glub

Forum

831 posts    Identified fonts    Requests only

Posts by metaphasebrothel

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:07  [reply]  Question about Donationware

Give that girl a Kewpie Doll!

Aug 15, 2013 at 03:51  [reply]  Obey logo

I have a few Obey logos in ObeyGiantPoster and ObeyGiantPosterCondensed, part of the Obey series 2 bundle: http://www.dafont.com/obey-series-2.font, but they're dingbats, so the whole word is in one glyph.

It's Arial:

C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\ARIAL.TTF

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:43  [reply]  Question about Donationware

koeiekat said  
In a list nouns should be separated by commas.

If there's something here, it would probably be in Techno -> Sci Fi: http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=303

Click on the banner for the ones that look like good prospects, and maybe some will have a Delta D.

Aug 14, 2013 at 01:25  [reply]  Question about Donationware

StaciR said  
Can a manager please delete this thread? It is more them obvious to me that I am not important here as a customer and lover of fonts. I am just an object to be made fun of. I don't appreciate it and would like this thread deleted, or could someone a hell of a lot abrasive as the idiot above me tell me how to delet it

StaciR, no one is a customer at DaFont, because DaFont doesn't sell anything, except banner space to advertisers.

DaFont is a website that showcases fonts that can be downloaded for free. The terms of use for the downloaded fonts are determined by the font author. Any payments for Donationware or Free for Personal Use fonts are made by the user, to the author - DaFont does not receive payment on behalf of the author, nor does It receive a commission or a percentage, when a payment is made.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, koeiekat is one of the Forum moderators, (as am I). The moderators are not paid. From time to time, someone who makes a positive contribution to the Forum is invited to become a moderator. There are thirty-eight moderators, about one-third of whom are from France, where being rude is the national religion.

Most of the replies to questions come from the moderators, and many of the moderators are rude, sometimes. Some of them are rude more often than others. In my case, I'm usually rude to people who want an immediate answer to a vague question.

With reference to koeiekat, he has extensive knowledge of fonts, particularly in technical areas. We all recognize that he is lacking in tact. When a question is asked in such a way that it can be understood without additional clarification, more often than not, he will give a complete and informative answer, without any guff. When someone asks a question that can't be answered directly, he, and many of the other moderators, will often be less than kind. Here are some examples of the kind of dumb questions we get here, all the time:

1) 'What's wrong with the font? I downloaded it, and it doesn't work on my phone!'

2) 'Why can't I install the .zip file?'

3) 'Can you tell me the name of that font that was on the ad for Boston Pizza? It has little curly tails on the G'.

4) 'Which font is the best, for graphic design?'

5) 'The font says 'Free for personal use'. I'm a person, does that mean I can use it for free, but a robot would have to pay?'

6) How do I get in touch with the guy who made the font that looks like a sign on a store in a cowboy movie?'

One final note: The only threads that get deleted are spam threads, like when someone starts a thread to try to sell something like knock-offs of sports jerseys, or if someone posts some political or religious manifesto, that has nothing to do with fonts. In those cases, one of the moderators usually bans the poster from further participation in the forum.

~bito

Aug 13, 2013 at 19:17  [reply]  Bleeding Cowboys Font

MEME213 said  
OK, I'm having a blonde moment... several actually.
My font settings folder doesn't seem the same as your screenshot???
Any suggestions. SORRY

If you have FontCreator or FontLab Studio 5 installed, you'll be able to make this change. You may be able to do it with some other font editors. If you don't have such a program installed, you won't be able to do it.

Aug 12, 2013 at 22:31  [reply]  Question about Donationware

What StaciR wrote:

StaciR said  
Question about Donationware

Was wondering if someone could explain donationware to me as I see one font listed for it and now asking for money but I see another that does.

Thanks, Staci

What I think she meant: (change is in bold)

Was wondering if someone could explain donationware to me as I see one font listed for it and not asking for money but I see another that does.

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Aug 12, 2013 at 22:32 by metaphasebrothel

I installed the font, and had no problem using it with both MS Word 2007 and MS Word 2000. I was, however, unable to view the Font Info, when I opened it with Studio 5, (I also couldn't expand the glyph windows).

Since debramseyer mentioned Times New Roman as the text display, she's probably using a version of Word prior to 2007, or the default display would be Calibri.

One possibility is that the font has been installed, but was not selected before or after the text was typed. That would explain why the text might appear in Times New Roman. If the text appears correctly in a Word Processor, but prints as Times new Roman, that would be an issue with the embedding settings, and probably intentional, on the part of the author. Unfortunately, I can't confirm the embedding settings, because they're in the Font Info, that I can't access. I couldn't figure out how to access the embedding settings information in FontCreator.

It's very smart of you to not be looking for fonts that you already have, unless you are looking for them on your own computer.

For Script fonts available at DaFont that you might not have, look in the Themes, under "Script", for links to the subsections.

Edited 2 times. Last edit on Aug 12, 2013 at 21:38 by fmontpetit

Aug 12, 2013 at 21:26  [reply]  Question about Donationware

StaciB, Donationware usually means that the purchase of a license for the commercial use of the font is optional, and/or the author is equipped to receive payment, (ie: he/she has an active Paypal, or similar account, to which donations can be made), and/ or the amount of payment is variable, and/or the recommended payee is not necessarily the font author.

Donationware fonts will almost always have the terms of use included in the font header, in a read me document, or in the 'Note of the Author' section on the font's details page. In many cases, the author will allow free use of the font for minor commercial use, but would expect a large corporation to make a donation, in a reasonable amount. The author may also request that commercial users donate an amount of their choice to a favoured charity, such as Doctors Without Borders, or an animal shelter.

In contrast, Free for Personal Use fonts generally have a fixed price to obtain a commercial use license. FFPU fonts may also have usage restrictions built into the font, if one has not purchased the 'full version'. For example, the FFPU version may have fewer symbols, punctuation, accented characters or ligatures, or there may be restrictions on whether text displayed in a word processor can be printed.

You're best to read the specific terms of use for the font(s) you plan to use. There is no 'hard and fast' rule that applies to any license type not designated as Free or Public Domain.

See ScanFont 5: http://www.fontlab.com/font-converter/scanfont/

Note that ScanFont 5 is a plug-in for other FontLab softwares, unlike ScanFont 3, which is a stand alone font editor and, unfortunately, no longer for sale.

How would you expect ANYONE to be able to help you with this, when you don't tell us which font(s) you plan to use? Do you think there is one answer to your questions that would apply to every font? Smarten the fuck up!

Aug 03, 2013 at 01:38  [reply]  What does this mean ?

ThirdDimension, Lobster is a donationware font, meaning that you can use it commercially, without paying anything to the author, but you also can make a donation of any amount to the author or his chosen payee.

Why would someone pay for the font, if they don't have to? It depends on who wants to use it. If it's a regular Joe making a flyer, he may chose to pay nothing. If it's a magazine or a large corporation, they may make a sizable donation, if they would otherwise have had to purchase a license for an existing commercial font, or if they would have had to pay a graphic designer to create an equivalent custom text. The commercial model is based on the user's financial means, and the value they place on their use of the author's work.

This is all based on the assumption that the designer, Pablo Impallari, has not changed the licensing terms since the font was initially released.

The 'Apache' license he uses also allows users to modify glyphs, (but why would you want to?), so presumably, if you needed an accented character that is not already included in the font, you would be allowed to create one, based on a glyph already in the font.

Jul 25, 2013 at 02:54  [reply]  Dark 11 Free or not??

Jul 22, 2013 at 07:13  [reply]  No Licensing Info!

No, Bright Eyes is Charleton Heston/ Taylor in Planet of the Apes, (1968). He won't die until the Earth explodes in Beneath the Planet of the Apes, almost two thousand years from now.

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:07  [reply]  Mary Poppins

Check your private messages, Susan D.

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:03  [reply]  No Licensing Info!

It's very possible that someone other than Bright Ideas may have submitted the Bright Ideas fonts to Dafont. That would explain why there are no designer details nor licensing terms shown.

alr said  
Metaphasebrothel, the above statement does make sense. However while this author says his/her font is free, when you download there is a copyright saying "all rights reserved". Since I am obtaining a font for commercial use, it would behoove me to make sure that it is indeed legally available for commercial use. I would rather take the time to find out now then fight a lawsuit in the future. Also, I am not the only one who has been confused by the info given for this particular font as I see others on the comment section looking for clarification as well. So with all of this said, do you or at this point anyone have any information on how to contact JW//Type?

Ps. thank you Koelekat for understanding my initial inquiry.

If a font is designated as Free at DaFont, it means that you don't have to pay anything to the designer to use it commercially.

If conditions are attached to the use of a font at DaFont, the author will indicate this when chosing the licensing terms. Information about the terms of use will appear in the font header, or in a supplemental read me/ license file, or in the note of the author.

For Free fonts at DaFont, if there are no specified restrictions stated, you have been given implied consent to use the work for personal AND professional purposes.

These guidelines do not necessarily apply if you download a font on a fly by night site, because many of those sites take their content from DaFont, almost always without the consent of the designer. They frequently remove license/ read me/ graphics files, and only make the .ttf or .otf file available.

In the case of Aaaiight!, the font author could not sue you for unauthorized commercial use, because it was the author who designated the work as free, when it was submitted. He made a free software file, for people who use and collect fonts. Maybe his fonts are skill-testing-question ware, ie: they are free to use, provided that the user understands the meaning of FREE, without further clarification.

All rights reserved just means that the font is not in the public domain, so while he does not charge you to use the font, you do not have the right to charge someone else for its use. You also do not have the right to create a knock off of his font, listing yourself or another entity as the holder of the intellectual property.

All times are CEST. The time is now 15:46

Privacy Policy  -  Contact