Forum

607 posts    Identified fonts    Requests only

Posts by metaphasebrothel

Sep 11, 2014 at 03:20  [reply]  Help creating a font

Try saving the .jpg image as a monochrome bitmap, before you try to try to import it into Fontforge. Even if your .jpg looks black and white, if you enlarge it eight times, you'll see random coloured pixels, (beige, light and dark grey, etc.). You need to use a one colour source image for a font.

Sep 10, 2014 at 09:51  [reply]  Typo comica

I've done this often, with FontLab Studio5. I right-click the .otf file, then select 'Open with...' -> Studio5, then File from the menu bar -> Generate font -> .ttf type -> OK. My primary font editor, ScanFont 3, can neither create nor open .otf, so I sometimes create .ttfs to view the vector designs, or to make screen captures.

Sep 07, 2014 at 11:51  [reply]  100% FREE FONTS

@FruitJuice: Any fonts on DaFont that are described as 100% Free are free for personal AND commercial use. When the font designers submit the font themselves, they indicate the term of use in the submission form. In cases where someone other than the designer submits the font, the terms of use are left blank, if the designer's intentions are not clearly set out in the font header or in an enclosed read me document.

Sep 02, 2014 at 21:19  [initial post]  Quotation marks in font project files

There are several glyph cells in my font editor that correspond with quotation marks:

Code.....Description

.34.......'quotedbl'
.39.......'quotesingle'
130......'quotesinglbase'
132......'quotedblbase'
145......'quoteleft'
146......'quoteright'
147......'quotedblleft'
148......'quotedblright'

In the font I'm working on now, I'm using rounded quotation marks, that resemble a '6' for the left, and a '9' for the right.

I've noticed that the glyphs coded 34 and 39 appear when text is typed in Notepad, but in MS Word 2007, the text display changes to Times New Roman. I have opened a couple of fonts with my font editor that have rounded quotes, (Algerian and Bookman Old Style Bold), and I've seen that these fonts have 'vertical' quotes for codes 34 and 39, and the glyphs with codes 130 and 132 are identical to the glyphs for codes 146 and 148, except for the position of the base line.

I recall a setting in MS Word 2000, where a box could be checked to "replace straight quotes with 'smart' quotes", but I don't remember how to do it, nor do I know how to do it with Word 2007. Is that, in any way, relevant to this?

Is it necessary to have the vertical quotes for codes 34 and 39, or can I just use the same glyphs for 34 and 146, and for 39 and 148? What negative impact, if any, would this have on my font, in terms of use in word processing and graphic design programs? I don't mind adding vertical quotes, if they're needed.

What is the purpose of the glyphs with codes 130 and 132?

A 'jargonless' explanation of the different codes in this group would be well appreciated.

Thanks,

~bobistheowl

Aug 29, 2014 at 19:40  [reply]  Crafters vs Viruses

mcx10 said  (view post)
Crafters vs Viruses

Is it possible to get a virus from dafont.com?...

Fonts are 'read only' files. Virii are executable files. It may be technically possible to receive a virus from a DaFont download, but only if the virus is in a MicroSoft Word document that contains a virulent macro.

Wear a condom while downloading, avoid kissing koeiekat when his nose is red and running, and you'll be fine.

koeiekat said  (view post)
Gill Sans appears to be Umbra.

According to The Electronic Type Catalog by Steve Byers, (1991, Bantam Books) ISBN 0-553-35446-9, page 603, Umbra was designed by Robert Hunter Middleton in 1932, described as "A three-dimensional display type with no lowercase, designed for Ludlow. The face is essentially a version of the same designer's Ludlow Tempo sanserif letterform with a perspective shadow, (hence its name). The design is of the ingenious kind that suggests the letterform by means of its shadow without actually defining it by a complete outline.".

The Umbra font was first marketed by Bitstream in 1990, and revised until at least 1999, and Gill Sans Light Shadowed was copyrighted in 1993, at least for the Adobe version. The typeface itself is called Umbra, so it would logically follow that the first foundry to release a digital version would call dibs on the name.

The lack of the lower case alphabet wasn't just lazy designer: Middleton's Umbra was all caps. The lower case alphabet appears to be unique to the Gill.

I chose the ampersand as a random glyph to compare Umbra and Gill Sans Light Shadowed. Umbra looks a lot more professional, technically. The Gill looks more like if one was intentionally trying to create a faux bold weight:

Thanks, I have Gill Sans Light Shadow. On quick glance, it appears to be Umbra, with a lower case alphabet. There also seems to be a Jeff Levine knockoff.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:58  [initial post]  3D and Shadow font suggestions?

What are some of the better 3D and Shadow fonts? I like Umbra:

and Landmark Shadow:

and, to a lesser extent, Gill Sans Std Shadowed:

What fonts are similar to these?

Thanks,

~bito

Aug 26, 2014 at 07:59  [reply]  free fonts open as demo only

Try right-clicking on the font file, instead of double-clicking.Double-click opens. Right-click gives you an options menu.

Aug 22, 2014 at 17:38  [reply]  marie claire

Cyril Hanouna said  (view post)
Je connais pas la police, mais la fille ressemble ŕ Enora en plus moche.

C'est lui, le gars nous avons plaisanté sur le forum des mods!

Aug 22, 2014 at 04:22  [reply]  How long?

Jaynz said  (view post)
And, not really. Tourists, Hollywood, and the internet are NOT good measures of what Americans are like. You see the most spoiled and entitled of us and they're presented as representative of EVERYONE here.

But it could be a lot worse. Could be Spain.

I don't think Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is broadcast in The Netherlands.

Aug 22, 2014 at 00:12  [reply]  Nothings working

What the hell is a reed, apart from the Reed Elsevier publishing house wise owl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony#Verbal_irony. The italic formatting must have gone over your head.

Aug 21, 2014 at 22:39  [reply]  Nothings working

Duh, the guy want to put fonts on his phone for text messaging. Can't you guys reed?

Aug 20, 2014 at 00:21  [reply]  How long?

It is what one delivers in the other 41 weeks, including weekends and being available 80 hours a week ...

jenmaton, could you post one or more images, preferably in .png file type, showing a sample of a capital letter, a lower case letter, a number, and a symbol? What is the file type of your vectors? This would help some designers in determining if they would like to do this, and if the software they use would allow them to do it. If at least one image is a screen capture of a vector you've created, someone could gauge how long the job would take.

drf said  (view post)
Just out of curiosity, what kind of error/problem can you get with "Contours with unknown (or incorrect) direction"?

Youthful errors, if you're not wearing protection.

This sounds like a no-brainer, but did you try to send e-mail to Daniel at both the account shown in his profile, and the one in the contact information on his blogspot page, (on the right hand side, about mid page?). That one's more likely to be in current use.

As if the pre installed fonts change much from one Windows OS to the next...

jbroman22 said  (view post)
Looking for the font Copperplate

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knows if the font Copperplate is available on dafont.com. I have searched for it with no luck. If anyone knows of where I could find the font or a similar font to Copperplate please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

JB

Did you check in your operating system? There are two weights in the XP standard fonts.

Aug 12, 2014 at 02:41  [reply]  Worst font ever?

GeronimoFonts said  (view post)
http://www.dafont.com/gaelleing.d4323
How about these?

Dissing 100% Free fonts isn't cool, son. Maybe you should stick with the garbage fonts that have a licensing fee for commercial use, but aren't worth the disk space that the .zips fill.

Edited on Aug 12, 2014 at 02:43 by metaphasebrothel

All times are CEST. The time is now 02:48

Ad by hierocide
Privacy Policy  -  Contact